PDA

View Full Version : large sums of cash/trust issue

tdarko
11-04-2005, 04:57 PM
this is kind of hypothetical.

scenario is you are living with a roomate that you don't know very well but for only a month or so. you are in a tight space such as a hotel. you know your roomate but you don't REALLY know him. you are living in an area that isn't necessarily riddled with crime but a place that you don't feel comfortable with 100% of the time.

situation: he tells you that he is going out for the night, this typically means he won't be back till' real late. you get home and have made a nice score playing WAR/GO FISH and have 18K laying across your bed since you don't expect him to be home for hours.

the problem is its late saturday night and the bank is closed. where do you put the money?

next scenario: he walks in early and see's 18K and like the good guy you think he is he congratulates you on your win and gets ready for bed. now what? where do you put that kind of money away with him in the room w/o him knowing about it?

do you sleep with a jacket on and keep the money in your jacket? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FouTight
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Seems like enough money to have a few options...

get some drugs, go on a bender, stay up till the bank opens...

get a hotel room...

tonypaladino
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Put it in the pockets of some jeans, then fold them up and put them in the bottom of a drawer.

If the roomate already saw it, sleep with it on your person.

Tomorrow, go to office depot and spend $200 on a small safe so this doesnt happen again.

asofel
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
i hope its not so hypothetical for your sake...

you should probably find that safe thread from a little ways back and lookup one there so you don't have to deal with this all the time...in the meantime, go make $982,000 more and you won't have to worry about what to do with it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(but seriously, some sort of container in an out of the way place is about the best you can do for now...)

tdarko
11-04-2005, 05:03 PM
some hotels do have safe's but this one doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]
Put it in the pockets of some jeans, then fold them up and put them in the bottom of a drawer.

[/ QUOTE ]
are you not worried about this stranger thumbing through your stuff when you fall into a deep sleep?

Diplomat
11-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Going and getting a hotel room is a very good idea (hey, you just won eighteen thousand friggin dollars, treat yourself).

If I only somewhat trusted my roommate, I definitely wouldn't be sleeping with the money on my person (assuming that I'm sleeping at home). 18k is nice, but it's not worth a hole in your head.

-Diplomat

xadrez
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
If you need to hide stuff, put it in an "obvious" place. For example, make a large wad/roll, wrap it in plastic VERY well, and put in a bottle of tomato sauce or peanut butter. Another good spot is mixed in with your dirty clothes, preferably underwear or socks. Empty out a smoke detector and putting the dummy detector in the ceiling works well too. EDIT: I just realized that you said "in a hotel". I was assuming you meant in a small apt.

If the roomate sees the cash then put it in your sock and sleep in your socks. I know this sucks, but its better than losing it.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
pillow case. go to bank in the AM

joshman1204
11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
put it in a condom and swallow it.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going and getting a hotel room is a very good idea

[/ QUOTE ]
this may sound strange i know, but what if you were kind of required to be at this hotel and staying somewhere else wasnt an option?

tonypaladino
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some hotels do have safe's but this one doesn't.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
are you not worried about this stranger thumbing through your stuff when you fall into a deep sleep?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was assuming he didn't see it.

In the case wear he already saw it, put it in the pockets of the pants you are wearing, and throw a pair of sweats or something on top.

xadrez
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, there's always the suppository route...

coffeecrazy1
11-04-2005, 05:10 PM
1)I wouldn't be too worried in Scenario 1...just put it somewhere out of sight. He's not going to come in and think "Gee...I bet there's 18k around here somewhere."

2)I don't know what I would do, but I would most likely broach the subject with him...since getting into his head might disrupt his little dissociative fantasy about stealing it and getting away with it. Something along the lines of "Hey man, I know you know I have this money...I don't usually carry this much around, or for that matter, have this much...can I trust you to be cool about it?" Maybe a little overboard, but I can live with giving someone a guilt trip unnecessarily.

BoogerFace
11-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Why the hell are you rooming with a psycho? Do you live at the Y or something?

SIIYP and go to the bank in the morning.

Pyromaniac
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
is this an army barracks?

or a jail with a liberal weekend-pass policy? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

spamuell
11-04-2005, 05:11 PM
I'd stay up all night for 18k.

TheWorstPlayer
11-04-2005, 05:13 PM
isn't there a safe at the front desk? I usually like going up to a (preferably hot) receptionist and saying "Is there some place I can store 20K around here?" usually you don't have to sleep in your own crappy room that night. Or she points you to the hotel safe. Or both.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1)I wouldn't be too worried in Scenario 1...just put it somewhere out of sight. He's not going to come in and think "Gee...I bet there's 18k around here somewhere."

[/ QUOTE ]
scenario one was more about precautionary measures than me actually worried. if i have large sums of cash in a room with another person i don't know well i am going to hide it.

in college i would hide it under mattresses and in all kinds of other places, but you can't exactly do that in a hotel.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell are you rooming with a psycho? Do you live at the Y or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
its not right now, this scenario has loosely come up before and its only for a month or so, sometimes longer. i didn't pick the roommate.

Andrew Fletcher
11-04-2005, 05:37 PM
There is clearly something more to this story and it's the good part. Please explain what the [censored] is happening.

11-04-2005, 07:16 PM
How about stashing it between your mattress and the box spring. I can't imagine someone getting to it without waking you up.

daryn
11-04-2005, 07:21 PM
i am often in hotels with large sums of cash and people i don't trust 100%. i just sleep in a pair of jeans and put the money in the front pocket.

in your case you could put the money under your mattress, like, in the exact middle,.. no way he could get it without getting you off the bed.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in your case you could put the money under your mattress, like, in the exact middle,.. no way he could get it without getting you off the bed.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is perfect, especially for scenario 1.

11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

sleep with it on your person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just love this use of the word "person". LOL.

BTW, putting some of it in your locked car is always an option. Of course you run the infinitely small risk of having your car stolen that night. I'd put 25%-33% of it in your car. At any rate, disperse it and keep note of where it all is.

Make a list of places where your money is. It is important to not lose the list! <---- that SNL writer in that old investment company commercial.

Bluffoon
11-04-2005, 07:53 PM
I stopped hiding money places when I started finding money I forgot I hid. Keep it on you.

lufbradolly
11-04-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm hammered and apparently banned from the union. Wish there was fit girs who frequented this forum. Ones who live in loughborough, England.

I sleep with anything on.........

Jeebus
11-04-2005, 07:59 PM
stow it safely under your nutsack by weaking some tightey whiteys. But first remember to wrap it in plastic so you don't get taint juice on it.

I don't actually know how big 18K wads are though so that might take an enormous nutsack.

bwana devil
11-04-2005, 08:00 PM
you just won $18,000. go spring another $45 on a cheap hotel room next door and sleep there by yourself.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't actually know how big 18K wads are though so that might take an enormous nutsack.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But first remember to wrap it in plastic so you don't get taint juice on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
you don't have enough taint juice.

Amid Cent
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hammered and apparently banned from the union. Wish there was fit girs who frequented this forum.
I sleep with anything on.........

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going with whatever the hell this guy said.

tonypaladino
11-04-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, putting some of it in your locked car is always an option. Of course you run the infinitely small risk of having your car stolen that night. I'd put 25%-33% of it in your car. At any rate, disperse it and keep note of where it all is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping large sums of money in an unattended car is a terrible idea.

Unabridged
11-04-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

no way he could get it without getting you off

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

i don't understand how you could be forced to share a hotel room when you have $18k

11-05-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd stay up all night for 18k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, if you were that concerned you wouldn't fall asleep at all.

Punker
11-05-2005, 02:22 AM
Don't take it back to this shady hotel room to begin with. Continue a marathon War/Go fish session until Monday, or leave it at the War/Go Fish cage if possible.

tdarko
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't take it back to this shady hotel room to begin with. Continue a marathon War/Go fish session until Monday, or leave it at the War/Go Fish cage if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
getting back to the room and getting some rest is needed. i am required to be attending a function that the roommate and others will be at the next day, all day for a month as will others in the hotel. so skipping town isn't an option nor is pulling burners till monday.

KaneKungFu123
11-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Are the bills 100's? If they are then its really not that big of a roll(physical size)....

tdarko
11-05-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are the bills 100's? If they are then its really not that big of a roll(physical size)....

[/ QUOTE ]
correct.

tonypaladino
11-05-2005, 03:39 AM
So what did you wind up doing?

tdarko
11-05-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So what did you wind up doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
this was a situation i was faced with last march but it was a lesser amount (around 8K), and so i just made up a hypothetical with a new larger amount in case this situation popped up again seeing that for 6 months out of the year i am living in hotels with roommates i hardly know.

the last time this happened i turned the AC on full blast in the hotel and but a fleece on, then put the money in the zipper pouch of the fleece and slept with it. maybe i just wanted something to snuggle with /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. i told him i was too lazy to get up and go across the room to turn the AC down so instead i just grabbed my fleece of the floor to warm up.

daryn's idea is better.

Ulysses
11-05-2005, 05:38 AM
The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of the slopes were gonna get their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

Unabridged
11-05-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for 6 months out of the year i am living in hotels with roommates i hardly know.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this for?

beset7
11-06-2005, 12:40 AM
pack heat

Vendal
11-06-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is this for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds likes a sport team, 6 months or so for a lot of seasons.