PDA

View Full Version : Check-raised again

cold_cash
11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Villian here and just sat down, but in the few hands he played he showed some aggression.

I'd like to know what your guys' preferred line is from the turn on.

5 handed

Folded to you in the CO. You raise Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

3 to the flop, 6 small bets

Flop: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB calls, BB folds

Heads up to the turn, 4 big bets

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises...

7:1 to call the check-raise.

4:1 to get to showdown.

Jaran
11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
If you wanna stop getting c/r'ed, stop betting /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Without a more exact read, I think any line is going to be a guess. Is he savvy enough to cr a hand like J9 or A3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif here HU? My default line is non-existent here. W/O a read, I play by my gut (isn't that awful?) and call down if I feel it and fold if I don't. Here I would guess at a calldown, what with him being aggressive (and I also get to see what he defends his BB with).

-Jaran

edited for spelling

11-04-2005, 04:49 PM
BB or SB folds?
If he showed some aggression 1:4 is good for me. I call him down with TPGK.

WalkAmongUs
11-04-2005, 04:55 PM
I reraise the turn. If BB is aggressive, he may be figuring you for a pushing a draw. When the draw didn't come in he might be trying to punish you, figuring you now only have one card to catch the flush, therefore making his equity much bigger if he has a pair.

The things i consider he might have are QJ, Q10, 77, and 33. I would think an aggressive player might have reraised you with QK or AQ before the flop since its 5 handed.

If I'm capped on the turn I check/call river. If he just calls my 3 bet I'd bet out on river (if a safecard falls) and PROBABLY call a raise.

Edit: Is BB tricky enough to call your raise PF with junk to set up a bluff if the flop looks like a good spot?

Jaran
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I reraise the turn. If BB is aggressive, he may be figuring you for a pushing a draw. When the draw didn't come in he might be trying to punish you, figuring you now only have one card to catch the flush, therefore making his equity much bigger if he has a pair.

The things i consider he might have are QJ, Q10, 77, and 33. I would think an aggressive player might have reraised you with QK or AQ before the flop since its 5 handed.

If I'm capped on the turn I check/call river. If he just calls my 3 bet I'd bet out on river (if a safecard falls) and PROBABLY call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me you're putting in a whole lotta bets with a marginal made hand here. The read was aggressive, not maniac. But I'm willing to listen if you can convince me otherwise.

-Jaran

tyler_cracker
11-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm calling the turn and re-evaluating the river, but planning on calling down. I'm betting if checked to. If he check-raises me again, i'm going to swear and call because i have to know what he's playing this way, but i don't think he check-raises very often here.

imported_The Vibesman
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm generally just calling down if my opponent is aggressive. If he's especially passive I may even fold, but I don't do that that often.

WalkAmongUs
11-04-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me you're putting in a whole lotta bets with a marginal made hand here. The read was aggressive, not maniac. But I'm willing to listen if you can convince me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think this hand is better than marginal when playing 5 handed. I don't play shorthanded too much though...

If BB has a hand like A7 or Q9s he might have put you on a draw and figured he should wait till the turn to raise a safe card when his equity advantage was larger. Thats a pure guess though.

He may have Q10 and hit two pair.

If BB is a decent player then I might reraise the turn and fold if he caps knowing I'm definitely beat.

Like you said...its almost a guess. I'd have to have a feel for BB and some reads.

LoaferGee12
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm generally just calling down if my opponent is aggressive. If he's especially passive I may even fold, but I don't do that that often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. You gotta call this down, because many aggros will check-raise you here with top-pair any kicker, (or even pair+flush draw)

imported_The Vibesman
11-04-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. You gotta call this down, because many aggros will check-raise you here with top-pair any kicker, (or even pair+flush draw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it would have to be a great read in order to fold.

deception5
11-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Call down and make a note.

milesdyson
11-04-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I reraise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
maniac

cash: yeah i'm calling down here until i know the guy.

cold_cash
11-04-2005, 05:29 PM
What about 3-betting the turn and checking behind on the river?

milesdyson
11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
if he is bluffing you stand to lose a bet from him if he would continue it on the river.

if he has a really good hand you're going to lose at least two more bets in this hand.

if he has a hand that slightly beats you, you're still going to lose the same as you would by calling down.

if he has a hand you beat, calling here and calling the river or betting when checked to nets you the same amount as 3-betting and checking behind.

WalkAmongUs
11-04-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this as well.

Questions I ask myself:
1)what hands would BB call with PF in this spot?
2)of those hands, which ones would he play like this?
3)is BB capable of a pure bluff?

Answering these is is almost too hard with no real read or feel about how he plays.

The more aggressive he is the more I like a turn reraise because he can be raising you here with a wider range of hands that you beat.

The less aggressive he is, I might just call it down and make notes.

WalkAmongUs
11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if he has a really good hand you're going to lose at least two more bets in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you are not capable of folding. Depending on my read if I reraise and he caps I'll fold knowing for sure I'm beat.

milesdyson
11-04-2005, 05:48 PM
getting 11:1 there are many hands he can have that beat you on this board against which you should still call with your two-pair/trips/hidden outs. no straights are possible. no flushes are possible. only against a set and QT should you actually fold here - and it's close against QT.

W. Deranged
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
5 handed this is a calldown.

10 handed this is a fold.

7 handed you can flip a coin.

11-04-2005, 06:17 PM
grunch...

5 handed i call down for metagame.

lots of ways to improve on the river too if he has 2 pair.