PDA

View Full Version : horse racing owners betting patterns? no gambling content

maldini
11-04-2005, 03:11 PM
i gotta believe that owners of race horses constantly bet against their horses. not in a fraudulent way but as part of a hedging strategy. anyone know for sure?

granted, i know nothing of the sport, but i would think that hedging would be really useful with big but infrequent purses.

11-04-2005, 03:13 PM
how is this not gambling related? Try eog.com or therx.com, possibly 2+2 sportsbetting forum...but i think the first two will better answer your questions.

lighterjobs
11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
You will get a lot more replies here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Sports).

NotMitch
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Worked in the industry for a while, have never seen this, but Im sure it has happened.

youtalkfunny
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
My father owned horses, never once considered betting against his own horse.

Brock Landers
11-06-2005, 10:17 PM
In the U.S. it is illegal for a horse owner (or trainer or jockey) to bet against his horse. It is even illegal to box an exacta with his horse (an exacta is a bet picking the first 2 finishers in order. a box is using both combinations i.e. horse A over horse B and vice versa).

p.s. this isn't criminally illegal, but it is against the racing board's rules.

youtalkfunny
11-07-2005, 04:07 AM
I should note that when betting his own horses, my old man would never to go the window himself. Imagine what that would do to a horse's odds, if everyone saw the owner/trainer at the window?