PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Learn Something New

MLG
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
So, given that all I do is play poker all day I have lots of spare time. In that time I've decided I want to learn something new an interesting. Problem is, I can't decide what. So, I'm open to suggestions. So far the list includes learning sign language (seems kind of cool and interesting but a little pointless), bartending school (fun choice but seems kind of cliched), and poetry (interesting idea, but it doesnt seem the type of thing you can learn). Lets have some out of the box ideas.

Also, I have no musical talent so things like an instrument and singing are out to start. Same goes for being traditionally artistic like drawing or painting.

JordanIB
11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to learn something new an interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have no musical talent so things like an instrument and singing are out to start

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind...too easy...

11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Golf. Fun game and you can keep playing it until you die.

11-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I am in no way artistic, either musically, paiting etc. Try the harmonica though, I for some reason had an unbelieveable talent for it, so you may have some weird talent for odd things like that. Its also relatively cheap, and you can practice anywhere. Computers are fun to learn, sportsbetting, cigars, golf, pool are all topics in my library as I look at it.

durron597
11-04-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Golf. Fun game and you can keep playing it until you die.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.

canis582
11-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Juggle, you can do it in your room, you dont have to buy anything besides tennis balls if you dont want to. And the possiblities are endless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juggling

You cant golf all year round and its at least 200 for a passable set of clubs plus 30 bucks or more everytime you want to play.

asofel
11-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Golf's a great idea, and more fun the better you get. Pool is also fun, especially when you get good enough to run a table and pull out trick shots. I don't know [censored] about fantasy football, but my friends seem to have a blast bitching about their teams every week.

You could also develop an affinity for hot sauce and completely own the the OOT Challenges.

4_2_it
11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Learn some magic tricks. Should be a hit with the ladies. If that doesn't work you can always learn hypnosis.

Pyromaniac
11-04-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poetry (interesting idea, but it doesnt seem the type of thing you can learn).

[/ QUOTE ]

Like, do you mean, learn to write it? read it? appreciate it?

I dunno--if you can learn p*k*r, you can learn poetry.

What's your interest? Pick something that you'll want to stick with. Probably not sign language...if it seems pointless now, you'll probably drop it before you get anywhere with it, especially if you don't have any "use" for it. An alternative would be to pick up some language skills that suit the region you live in.

asofel
11-04-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learn some magic tricks. Should be a hit with the ladies. If that doesn't work you can always learn hypnosis.

[/ QUOTE ]

magic tricks are a great idea, and something you could even absentmindedly practice while playing tournies, etc.

duk
11-04-2005, 03:29 PM
How about a new language? Always useful.

fnord_too
11-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Poetry, drawing, and the arts in general are learnable. It takes a lot of time to produce something that doesn't suck, and often people will just assume because they can't crank something out in an hour or ten that they cannot do it at all. (I'm not saying you can be a Dali or Ishmael Reed, but you can get pretty respectable by putting in the time).

What do you want to accomplish with this endeavor (if anything)? I can think of a lot of ideas, but the list I come up with would be different if you have some specific side objectives (like getting out of the house, learning something that has practical value, meeting women, etc.)

Here's one suggestion: Learn to dance. Take a swing or latin dance class.

spamuell
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Learn some magic tricks. Should be a hit with the ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think women think men who know magic tricks tend to be creepy.

Mars357
11-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Foreigen language

Model Rocketry is a blast too.. Start with the little ones and as you get deeper and deeper into it, you can work your way up to the big ones that require FAA clearance to launch!

Start flying and working you way toward your Private Pilot Certification

Find a really cute girl and stalk her..

so many options.....

11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] http://www.oldsocks.co.uk/pictures/Claudia%20Schiffer/Claudia%20Schiffer_13.jpg

Yes. Super creepy.

4_2_it
11-04-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you use a wand and wear the hat and cape.

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 03:42 PM
How odl are you?

I'd say pick up a sport, golf is agreat one, but soccer/basketball are great too.

If you're looking for something more mental.... hm

chess is definitely interesting.

chuddo
11-04-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone with slight sleight ability i can attest to this, but it does work nicely if doing something like some tricks for her neices/nephews or little cousins.

i suggest getting good at the following: juggling, ping pong, foosball, frisbee golf, and learn to yo-yo.

BoogerFace
11-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Why not take up computer programming and create games?

diebitter
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Study Women.

It will be a lifetime of study without ever finishing, but you may find it rewarding.

4_2_it
11-04-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Study Women.

It will be a lifetime of study without ever finishing, but you may find it rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully Studying Women is not "Something New" to the OP. If it is , I recommend he start another thread as I sense potential OOT gold.

DeadMoneyOC
11-04-2005, 04:10 PM
The correct answer to this question is GOLF!

Benal
11-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey Mike. Learn and understand how to trade the markets. This is something you can do on your own, and there's a wealth of information out there on the net.. (ECNs, options, trading platforms, market makers, shorting, etc..) Its a great way to put some of your BR to work. Trading is also fun, or at least I think it is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MLG
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
The problem with golf is that I live in NYC and its winter. Juggling was a good idea, but I already am a pretty good juggler. As for the women suggestions, I'm more looking to do something for myself, as I've got a steady gf. And I'm into sports enough as it is that I don't want to particularly take one up. Ive played basketball, volleyball, and fenced at various times in HS/College.

La Brujita
11-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Any idea where to start with this?

samjjones
11-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Learn another language, learn how to play a musical instrument, learn how to paint.

Yeti
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with golf is that I live in NYC and its winter. Juggling was a good idea, but I already am a pretty good juggler. As for the women suggestions, I'm more looking to do something for myself, as I've got a steady gf. And I'm into sports enough as it is that I don't want to particularly take one up. Ive played basketball, volleyball, and fenced at various times in HS/College.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then instrument is obviously the answer. And don't give me that 'no talent' BS excuse again.

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
go with chess.. get a few friends that play and you could be busy learning that for a million years

MLG
11-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I already play chess at a pretty competent level. If I was gonna make an effort to devote myself to a game I think it would probably be Go.

nolanfan34
11-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Do you like beer? Do you have a residence with a decent stove, and maybe a spare bathroom?

I'd learn home brewing. It's a lot of fun to learn the ins and outs of making home brewed beer. The start up costs are relatively inexpensive, and it's something that you can keep learning about and developing your skills.

You do need to have a decent stovetop, and a 65-70 degree place to put a 5 gallon bucket of beer in while it ferments (a guest bathroom bath is good for that).

Plus, you get to drink what you make, and impress your friends. A few years ago, I had enough batches bottled that I gave some of my friends a 6-pack mix of different brews. Made custom labels for the different types too. It was a hit.

Sifmole
11-04-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I already play chess at a pretty competent level. If I was gonna make an effort to devote myself to a game I think it would probably be Go.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this just a well disguised brag post where you respond to every suggestion with some variation of "I already do that pretty well"?

Pick an unsolved mathematical theorem, learn the math neccessary to prove it, prove it, get said proof published. Or do you already do that pretty well?

diebitter
11-04-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Study Women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully Studying Women is not "Something New" to the OP. If it is , I recommend he start another thread as I sense potential OOT gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean 'study' (actively research and seek new information, scrutinize, etc) , not just try and hit on, etc

Sifmole
11-04-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mike. Learn and understand how to trade the markets. This is something you can do on your own, and there's a wealth of information out there on the net.. (ECNs, options, trading platforms, market makers, shorting, etc..) Its a great way to put some of your BR to work. Trading is also fun, or at least I think it is /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to suggest any of these great resources? I would love to know.

mic_check12
11-05-2005, 11:03 AM
Poi/fire swinging. You could be really good in 6 months or so. Jus been on Hat Rin beach in thailand and the women love the guys that can do it