PDA

View Full Version : Optimal Deep Stack Strategy

11-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Anybody had any experience playing in the deep stacks on stars? i am going to play in one tomorrow and i wanted to read some advice on some tips and strategy's on how to play them. for eample, how aggressive should you be early on, etc. i know in the other tournaments at stars u need to exploit your edges early because you only have t1500 chips, but with 5000 i would assume you can be more patient and wait to makes moves with the premier hands early on... any insights would be helpful, thanks...

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 02:37 PM
you have options when you have a deepstack, and you decide by how you play best, and how your table is playing.

you can either be more patient and wait for bigger hands, or you cna use teh deeper stacks to see a lot of flops with great implied odds (since everyone has 250 BB stacks, everything hs more implied odds).

i personally play pretty passive w/ deep stacks (when everyone else is also deep), unles i feel like i can kick my tables ass post-flop.

KneeCo
11-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I played the DS o8 last night and had a great time (243 entries I came in 23rd and that took about 6h45).
$/hr be damned these are great tournaments for people who love poker, I kow I'll be playing a bunch now that I'm over at Stars.

As for strategy, like Exit said there is no right answer, but if you really need a way to look at it, just pretend it's a cash game. Until around the bubble, everyone will be deep enough that you don't really have to play 'tournament poker' (doesn't mean you can't if you want to though).

Basically, you'll be getting a lot more wiggle room and you should take full advantage. For instance, you can make a substantial re-raise and still not be all-in, how, if at all, should this impact the way you play certain hands? Does it make it easier to extract value or harder? How does it impact folding equity? DS is a fun opportunity to think about stuff like that.

GL.

11-04-2005, 05:05 PM
yea it's definitly the closest thing on the internet to an actual major live tournament (wsop, wpt event) where good players should (key word is should) be rewarded for patience and tight aggressive play to slowly accumulate a good stack. several HOH concepts will be implemented in my play that i might not be able to use when im constantly risking crippling myself because of the small amount of starting chips...