PDA

View Full Version : Comments on The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Hold'em?

MRBAA
11-04-2005, 02:07 PM
The book has enjoyed excellent sales, gone through many printings and we're now considering updating. If anyone has read it, I'd be interested in comments on what could be improved/added. It's a beginner book, but we've tried to include some fairly advanced strategy information in a simple form. There's a look inside on Amazon which gives a few introductory pages, which are not about strategy, as well as the index.

MRBAA
11-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that few here have read the book -- it's more for beginner/low intermediate players. Let me ask a different question: what do you think is lacking from most HE books for new players that we might want to consider including when we revise ours?

benkahuna
11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
More detailed info about odds and hand matchups.

The end of Greenstein's book had some interesting info.

MRBAA
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
That's a very interesting thought. Thanks.

Peter666
11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
This is a very good beginners book. One thing that should be mentioned is that it is possible to make a straight with an Ace as your low card eg. A2345. I would like to see more detail in the Rank of Hands section because this can often be confusing for those new to the game. When I started playing I had to go through a bunch of different sources to get clear information on this supposedly simple matter.

11-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Change the name to The Idiot's Pocket Guide to Hold'em...unless you've got a little retard playing cards in your pants.

TroutMaskReplica
11-18-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...unless you've got a little retard playing cards in your pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

no...he's just pleased to see you

MRBAA
11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, the title is a bit of a joke-provoker. Unfortunately this is part of a series and they aren't going to change the title. We'll definitely incorporate the hand rank stuff -- good idea.