PDA

View Full Version : Air America Going Down the Tubes

Walter Pullis
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Although a conservative,I would like an alternate political voice, but the blunt truth is that Air America is on life support.

Why is this?

Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?

11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Conservative talk radio gets listeners because it's an alternative to the mainstream media.

Liberal talk radio has trouble getting listeners because it's just a louder echo of the mainstream media. Your average potential listener is choosing between many different outlets to get their liberal slanted information, Air America being just one of them.

It's merely an effect of supply and demand. There is much more supply of liberal information than conservative information.

Beer and Pizza
11-04-2005, 01:36 PM
It comes down to overload. When you can get the liberal spin on CBS, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc. who needs radio too?

Besides NPR has been providing solid liberal radio for decades.

PoBoy321
11-04-2005, 01:45 PM
The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.

11-04-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The average talk radio listener is of elderly, poorly educated and conservative. Air America's core demographic is 18-35, well educated and liberal, so I think that there just aren't enough listeners out there for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source please? I'd like to see this. I'm not disputing it. I doubt it, yes. It just piques my innate curiosity.

ty

Beer and Pizza
11-04-2005, 01:52 PM
Damn the lack of educanated people out there. If only we could clone Noam Chomsky. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

11-04-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although a conservative,I would like an alternate political voice, but the blunt truth is that Air America is on life support.

Why is this?

Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes me chuckle every time I hear a conservative yelp about how AAR is failing. Where'd you hear this? O'Reilly? Somewhere else? Please, for the love of god, tell me where you heard this.

Conservatives everywhere say it's in the toilet. I've seen the number of stations nationwide grow by a sixth (around 60, grown to 70) over the past few months, and that's not because it's "on life support." It's beating Rush in a few places, and it's beating O'Reilly in even more. It takes time for a station to grow. I've met the Drobnys (the founders of AAR) and they had nothing bad at all to say about the ratings. They're ecstatic with how the company's grown, despite the bad management at the very beginning.

And your statement shows a lack of understanding of AAR. No significant changes? It's not like the station is advocating a revolution. I'd argue, anyway, that recent polls indicate that America DOES want significant changes in leadership.

Oh yeah, Air America recently picked up Sacramento.

canis582
11-04-2005, 02:06 PM
NEXT ON FAUX NEWS: Why is Air America failing? Some say its because Al Franken sucks, other say its because of liberal bias.
TONIGHT ON AN O'REALLY FACTOR YOU CANT AFFORD TO MISS!!!!

But seriously, most liberals have jobs that require concentration. We can't sit in our delivery trucks and listen to three hours of hush bimbo between noon and 3.

PoBoy321
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
My information was off. I was going by things I've heard, although I wasn't toooooo far off. I have to run to class, so I don't have too long to look up information, but I found this article (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_1_26/ai_112532363) with some information. It doesn't have anything to corroborate my statement about education, and calling typical talk radio listeners "elderly" was off, although they do tend to be older than Air America's core demographic.

[ QUOTE ]
Walsh says Central Air will try to target what he calls a "double-humped camel" of demographic groups. On one end, the network will aim for 18- to 25-year-olds, that highly desirable, tech-savvy demographic that gathers information via multiple formats. The other hump would aim for an older, more affluent demographic, listeners who are 40 to 55 and have a taste for humor perhaps edgier than what's offered by National Public Radio. Currently, talk radio listeners are mainly white men over the age of 35, many of whom consider themselves conservative - but not all. A full 11 percent of talk show listeners say they're either "liberal" or "ultra liberal" and 21 percent say they're "fiscal conservative/social liberal," according to a study done by Talkers, a talk radio trade magazine in Springfield, Mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically Air America is trying to pull from a full 11% of the talk radio audience.

whiskeytown
11-04-2005, 02:13 PM
negative - it is not on life support - but all talk radio, including the conservative stuff, is way down from the heyday 10 years ago -

I know - I used to work in talk radio 7 or 8 years ago - back when Rush could do no wrong from a business standpoint. -

RB

Jedster
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
a) Ed Schultz is awesome. http://www.bigeddieradio.com/

b) I think that Al Franken's book is doing pretty good (sic)

11-04-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My information was off. I was going by things I've heard...

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/smile.gif Honesty is refreshing. Admission of a poo-poo is rare. Even the small errors.
Thank you for that.

Thank you also for the link. It was interesting. Not just the demo stuff, but the info about the investors not all being "George Soros types." (as Bill O. would have me believe)

I remember when Larry King tried a radio show. I listened, hoping to hear honest opinion and information. Well, I was really disappointed. After about a week of his, IMO, crap and s***ty attitude toward anyone disagreeing with him, I gave up.

I was a fan of The Daily Show until he got so GWB negative. Not funny, to me, when you just want to poke fun and pander to the lowest common denominator. No matter which side you're arguing for.

These two bad experiences caused me to be, I admit, biased in thinking AAR's choice of AF and JG as their featured hosts was bad. I've seen, IMO, very little good humor from AF and I've enjoyed a lot of JG's routines and acting. I don't look to them for sage political information.

Maybe I'm just ignorantly looking/hoping for another Will Rogers to come along.

etgryphon
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? MSM is much more liberal than NPR. I love NPR. I also listen to C-SPAN in the car.

-Gryph

jaxmike
11-04-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NEXT ON FAUX NEWS: Why is Air America failing? Some say its because Al Franken sucks, other say its because of liberal bias.
TONIGHT ON AN O'REALLY FACTOR YOU CANT AFFORD TO MISS!!!!

But seriously, most liberals have jobs that require concentration. We can't sit in our delivery trucks and listen to three hours of hush bimbo between noon and 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO! That's pretty funny. The fact about liberals having jobs and having the ability to concentrate that is.

jaxmike
11-04-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's beating Rush in a few places,

[/ QUOTE ]

You are going to need to back this claim up.

jaxmike
11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? MSM is much more liberal than NPR. I love NPR. I also listen to C-SPAN in the car.

-Gryph

[/ QUOTE ]

NPR is REALLY liberal. That is why I find it funny that they had to go out and "create" a liberal radio network, they already had one.

I wish I could get C-SPAN in my car.

xadrez
11-04-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before asking for an explanation, you might consider citing at least one source which supports your assertion.

11-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Your argument lacks financial backing.

Cyrus
11-05-2005, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your argument lacks financial backing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since I'm all for open and excruciating debate, I'll sponsor his argument.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jokerthief
11-05-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen the number of stations nationwide grow by a sixth

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is a strong arguement. You aren't leaving anything out are you?

From Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
The network's primary station is New York City's WLIB-AM and, as of October 2005, 68 radio stations in the US, as well as XM Satellite Radio offer some or all of the programs produced and distributed by Air America Radio.[1] This number is down slightly since August 2005 when AAR was carried on 70 stations in the United States, as well as Sirius Satellite Radio. Air America Radio also makes use of audio streaming on the World Wide Web, reaching a national and international audience. The two newest additions to the fold bring Air America back to 70 stations on 10/31/05. However, this total includes stations that carry other programming as well. For example, WTAM in Cleveland is listed by Air America as one of their affiliates, but they broadcast the Rush Limbaugh radio program, not exactly in the liberal mold.

[/ QUOTE ]

JihadOnTheRiver
11-05-2005, 06:55 AM
I think that everything was pretty much summed up for me when I tuned in on a late Monday night. I recognized the voice, or so I thought at the time, but didn't want to jump to any conclusions. Then, the familiar voice said something about morality and politics in America. I said to myself, "no way is this who I think it may be." Then, I heard this:

"We'll return, after these messages, to Jerry Springer."

I haven't listened since....

Jihad

11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I have Sirius radio... and during my 30 minute commute to and from work, I've tried listening to Air America. I consider myself to be fairly "liberal", but the hosts on AAR drive me bonkers. It's the same old dribble over and over with very little rational discussion. I feel that I'd have to have a lower IQ to like that sort of nonsense. Rush is like that, too... but his followers seem to like that sort of thing. I'd love to have a talk-radio station that has reasonable rational discussion of all sides of the issues. Can we get something like that? Probably not.

11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a fan of The Daily Show until he got so GWB negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you, liked it when Clinton was president, and Jon made fun of Clinton, but stopped liking it when Bush became president and he started making fun of Bush. I liked it before and now. Actually, it seems like Jon is tired of making fun of GB... it's like making fun of someone being retarded. It's funny, until you realize it's true... then it's just sad.

11-05-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, you, liked it when Clinton was president, and Jon made fun of Clinton...

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I don't remember the Clinton-bashing, or whatever/however he made fun of BC. I guess it wasn't that important to me or a very small part of his show.

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ptmusic
11-05-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I don't remember the Clinton-bashing, or whatever/however he made fun of BC. I guess it wasn't that important to me or a very small part of his show.

[/ QUOTE ]

... or you're biased.

11-05-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... or you're biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm biased because I don't remember him making fun of Clinton? I think if I was biased I'd certainly remember having fun at the expense of Clinton's actions, words, etc.

Nepa
11-05-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Sirius radio... and during my 30 minute commute to and from work, I've tried listening to Air America. I consider myself to be fairly "liberal", but the hosts on AAR drive me bonkers. It's the same old dribble over and over with very little rational discussion. I feel that I'd have to have a lower IQ to like that sort of nonsense. Rush is like that, too... but his followers seem to like that sort of thing. I'd love to have a talk-radio station that has reasonable rational discussion of all sides of the issues. Can we get something like that? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Air America isn't on Sirius anymore.

Nepa
11-05-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) Ed Schultz is awesome. http://www.bigeddieradio.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. This guy has got game!

anatta
11-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Cons have been predicting doom for AAR since its inception. 70 stations seems good so far. The results of the election discouraged liberals and probably hurt ratings somewhat, but now with all the problems on the Right, people will listen again. Look at liberal blogs like kos, in Jan, traffic was down, now its way way up. In four months I will bet AAR has more stations, that is, it has not gone "down the tubes". (they just invested millions in a new studio...)

ptmusic
11-05-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... or you're biased.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm biased because I don't remember him making fun of Clinton? I think if I was biased I'd certainly remember having fun at the expense of Clinton's actions, words, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You laughed then. You don't laugh now.

Many people have said The Daily Show made jokes at Clinton's expense (and I remember it as well), but you don't seem to remember that. Maybe you don't remember because it didn't get under your skin like jabs at Bush and the Republicans do.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like you're biased. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

11-05-2005, 05:45 PM
ok

jj_frap
11-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Meh...I do listen to Air America, but only because I love Mike Malloy...He's about the only American nowadays who isn't brainwashed by either the religious reich or the PC thugs/soccer moms.

11-05-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he still makes fun of him sometimes today -- usually in regards to semen-stained dresses. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But, you have to admit it's much easier to make fun of GWB than BC. It's sad, but true.

11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have Sirius radio... and during my 30 minute commute to and from work, I've tried listening to Air America.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 2-3 months ago (I think) that I was listening to it during my commute. I took it off of my presets when they redid the channel line-up a few weeks ago I believe. I now listen to NPR & BBC (news & talk) which is much more informative than Air America was.

jj_frap
11-05-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have Sirius radio... and during my 30 minute commute to and from work, I've tried listening to Air America.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was 2-3 months ago (I think) that I was listening to it during my commute. I took it off of my presets when they redid the channel line-up a few weeks ago I believe. I now listen to NPR & BBC (news & talk) which is much more informative than Air America was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it would be: Corporate America's talk radio is ideologically driven while BBC, CBC, NPR, and similar organisations care more about the content than about the profits and provide more intellectually driven programming.

11-05-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But, you have to admit it's much easier to make fun of GWB than BC. It's sad, but true.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's twue, it's twue!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

InchoateHand
11-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Fundamentally, the angry-talk radio format doesn't work well for so called "liberals."

Conservatives like simple things. Simple truths. Right and wrong. Black and white. Thus its insanely easy to pander to people who do not want to hear anything that challenges or disturbs their diligently maintained myopia.

The left, generally, likes complicated pictures that represent a broader swathe of lived realities, and as such its very difficult to create the bullet point vituperatives of a Rush or some similarly asinine and poorly informed asshat.

11-05-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fundamentally, the angry-talk radio format doesn't work well for so called "liberals."

Conservatives like simple things. Simple truths. Right and wrong. Black and white. Thus its insanely easy to pander to people who do not want to hear anything that challenges or disturbs their diligently maintained myopia.

The left, generally, likes complicated pictures that represent a broader swathe of lived realities, and as such its very difficult to create the bullet point vituperatives of a Rush or some similarly asinine and poorly informed asshat.

[/ QUOTE ]

All those big words add credibility to your post.

InchoateHand
11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Your illiteracy serves a similar purpose.

elscorcho768
11-06-2005, 12:03 AM
According to Arbitron, Air America is doing well in LA and Portland, where it is 5th overall. However, in New York, it recently was at a 1.3 share of the audience, or 24th in the market. WABC, which is home to Rush and Hannity, is third in the market. I frequently hear that the old WLIB Carribean-themed station had a bigger share than the current Air America format.

In regards to the statements by some that conservatives win the market because conservatives are dumb, gimme a break. They win because they are compelling. Thats why shows like Hannity get so many liberal callers, because they make for good radio. People aren't stupid because they are conservative or liberal. They are stupid because they are stupid. Also, it is my belief that more college educated people are liberal because the faculty is predominantly liberal, not because liberals are smarter.

Finally, the BBC is incredibly left-wing biased. Former president Clinton and P.M. Tony Blair have both critcized the BBc for overly biased reporting on the war in Iraq and President Bush. Also, the head of the BBC resigned over their report that the Blair administration was responsible for the death of weapons expert David Kelly

Borodog
11-06-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why is this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't it just be as simple as, "It sucks." Because it does. This is like asking, "Why isn't anyone buying an Edsel? Is it that middle-class America is comfortable and doesn't want any significant change?" No, it's just an ugly heap of [censored] that nobody wants.

If you want good talk radio, listen to Neal Boortz.

Walter Pullis
11-06-2005, 03:14 PM
After reading your posts and checking other sites, I agree that Air America is not "going down the tubes".

But with all the Bush/Republican problems you would think it would be thriving.

Could it be that major advertisers shun it because if liberalism really took control, they would be more heavily regulated/taxed?

Manque
11-06-2005, 07:13 PM
So I guess these ludicrous caricatures of your's were formulated after considering "complicated pictures that represent a broader swathe of lived realities"

InchoateHand
11-06-2005, 07:28 PM
I try not to make things overly complicated, so people like you will be able to understand.

caretaker1
11-11-2005, 07:07 AM
No basis in reality.