PDA

View Full Version : I repent.

RockLobster
06-16-2003, 10:51 PM
I want to take this opportunity to publicly repent for whatever it is that I have done to so anger the Poker Gods.

It is clear by my newfound inability to collect on > 15% of my flops (22% seen) that I have somehow offended Thee.

I had hoped that dropping a level would be the first step in bankroll recovery, but it appears that I might not understand the subtle signals that You have been sending me over the last 2 weeks.

I am truely sorry and will do whatever penance is necessary to get back in your good graces. Please find it within Your infinite mercy to send me a sign (perhaps something as simple as KK or AA holding up).

Your Loyal Servant--

pufferfish
06-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Not good enough, lol. You have to say the prayer at the table after a really bad beat.

There, now you know the secret to appeasing the Poker gods.

Go in peace, /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
pf

travisand
06-17-2003, 12:36 AM
You could also try sacrificing a virgin or some sort of animal. I hear that some gods go for that sort of thing.

slavic
06-17-2003, 04:52 AM
I wish you would make up with so they'd start listening to my prayers. The beats were comming fast a furious tonight.

My favorite was JJ early I raise get 4 callers (wee)
3 of them have Axs, Kxo, Qxo

The board was x x x x K and yes they all stayed to the river.

I could have played pocket Aces face up tonight and still not have made an A2o fold. Of course I don't get pocket rockets. It's funny I get AA half as many times as any other pocket pair. Go figure?

Thanks for letting me vent. Of course I have a lot of new positive EV that I need to spend some place.

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 08:38 AM
I've been on a party roller coaster recently too. Loss, loss, loss, loss, huge win, loss, loss, loss, big win, loss. I've gained overall, but its been a wild ride.

I think I need to start taking better notes on players. I take notes when I notice things at the table i'm at but when I come back and find them again I forget to check my notes. Oh well.

Homer
06-17-2003, 10:08 AM
It looks like I have taken all the luck away from you guys over the past week (I'm +600 playing 2/4 and 3/6 for maybe 20 hrs). It's kind of amusing because last week I couldn't win a hand and everyone else was talking about how they were running good. Oh yeah, my point -- ummm, I forgot. Oh yeah...this game is a bitch. Just keep playing solid poker and you will win in the "long run".

-- Homer

p.s. - I used to pray to the poker god, but now I bitch slap him when he cracks my aces. I think he's learned his lesson.

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 10:42 AM
Hey Homer--

Just keep playing solid poker and you will win in the "long run".

I was curious who was going to be the first to reply with this /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif. I managed to scrape together a small win last nite, and this pattern is nothing new, but it sure can be tough.

Anyway, thanks for the post.

Attn: Poker Gods: I in no way share or condone this heathen's lack of faith. Forgive him, for he knowest not what he says. Please prove Your greatness to Homer and the other infidels by presenting this compliant crustacian with a winning session of such incredible magnitude that these humans will sing your praises eternally. As a side benefit, I'll be able to afford my new camper.

Homer
06-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I was curious who was going to be the first to reply with this.

I know hearing that doesn't help much when you're losing (or not winning much), but what else can you do other than keep playing your best and have faith that things will turn around?

It's funny -- for the past couple weeks, I didn't have a single winning session (maybe 7-8 in a row), then I had 3-4 break-even to small win sessions, and now I've had 3-4 consecutive 30-40 BB wins. Add it all up, and I've won about 1.5 BB/hr. I look back at those losing and break-even sessions, and know that I blew off extra BB's by not playing my normal game. If only I had played those sessions well, I'd be averaging 2-2.5 BB's/hr. It's hard to think of poker as just one long session, but really that's the way it is.

-- Homer

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Oh, I hear ya, and I hope I didn't come off as sounding cynical. I've charted each of my sessions since January, and this is a normal downswing. But since I'm playing 2/4 primarily (rather than 1/2), having a few 30-40 BB losing sessions hurts a bit more.

I'm playing primarly 1/2 right now until I can recover some of the lost BR. Fortunately I'm pretty used to the adjustments between 1/2 and 2/4, I've made this back-and-forth leap a few times.

Take care--

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 12:02 PM
The catch-22 of this is that you had a normal downswing at 2-4, but will take twice the time to make it back up at 1-2. I understand the need to move down, but it tends to just add to the frustration. I'd personally like to get off space mountain and just post 10-12 BB wins about 4 of every 5 sessions like I was a month ago. That's when its fun.

Hey poker gods... i'm with Rock here. That AA crack in a 6 handed capped PF pot last night was cruel. And the KK 2 hands later showed me I'm at your whims. Luckily I must've thought pure thoughts as the set of Qs 10 mins later were appreciated.

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 12:13 PM
The catch-22 of this is that you had a normal downswing at 2-4, but will take twice the time to make it back up at 1-2. I understand the need to move down, but it tends to just add to the frustration.

Yep, it's tough, and not at all the way I'd like to do this... but if I continue to slump at the same rate I'll have to... oh I hate to even think it... add money to my bankroll! Not in this life, if I can help it!

If I can string 2 or 3 winning 1/2 sessions I'll move back up to 2/4.

I'd personally like to get off space mountain and just post 10-12 BB wins about 4 of every 5 sessions like I was a month ago. That's when its fun.

Amen to that!

Take care BL, we'll talk with you soon (I saw that you were on Party last nite, hopefully I'll be back at the 2/4's soon enough so we can play again)....

slavic
06-17-2003, 12:18 PM
Oh poker gods why doest thou mock me so? You send me fish, but they have teeth, they bluff with nothing and you send them runner runner. They splash the pot, drink heavily, insult the females at the table, and kick small dogs, yet you allow them to win? Have I not been your faithful servant? I raised my pocket rockets, yet you flushed me, you housed my straights, and even the dealer looked down on me in pitty.

Oh and when I did catch a good hand versus the maniac, Isolated him, and started to punish him for his blasphome, what did you do? Make him fold the flop? Not even a check?

XlgJoe
06-17-2003, 12:35 PM
You can't repent to the gods! Don't you know online gambling is immoral. Your only hope is for the US govt. to save you from yourself. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Homer
06-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Hopefully this will provide a little inspiration to get you back in the ring. You never know when you're going to hit a nice rush. The other night I had been playing for 2.5 hrs, waiting and waiting, when the following two consecutive hands took place. Suddenly instead of being down 7-8 BB's, I was up 20 BB's...

Hand 1

Hello Homer_Jay,
You have recently requested your transcript of the game number 78771915.

***** Hand History for Game 78771915 *****
3/6 TexasHTGameTable - Sun Jun 15 22:29:31 EDT 2003
Table Rock N'' Roll (Real Money) -- Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: LittleTexas ( $84)
Seat 3: ThePureNuts ( $141)
Seat 4: touchofevil ( $183)
Seat 5: PTWOLF ( $138)
Seat 6: DaraH76 ( $129)
Seat 7: Homer_Jay ( $292)
Seat 8: kriks ( $169)
Seat 9: bill78rule ( $433)
Seat 10: bosshog245 ( $0)
bill78rule posts small blind (1)
LittleTexas posts big blind (3)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Homer_Jay [ Qh, Qc ]
ThePureNuts calls (3)
touchofevil raises (6) to 6
PTWOLF calls (6)
DaraH76 folds.
Homer_Jay raises (9) to 9
kriks folds.
bill78rule folds.
LittleTexas: lol you suckered me lol
LittleTexas calls (6)
ThePureNuts calls (6)
touchofevil calls (3)
PTWOLF calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Qd, 7h, Td ]
LittleTexas checks.
ThePureNuts bets (3)
touchofevil folds.
PTWOLF folds.
Homer_Jay raises (6) to 6
LittleTexas calls (6)
ThePureNuts calls (3)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 4h ]
LittleTexas checks.
ThePureNuts bets (6)
Homer_Jay raises (12) to 12
LittleTexas folds.
ThePureNuts calls (6)
** Dealing River ** : [ Kh ]
ThePureNuts bets (6)
Homer_Jay raises (12) to 12
ThePureNuts calls (6)
** Summary **
Main Pot: $109 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Qd 7h Td 4h Kh ]
LittleTexas balance $69, lost $15 (folded)
Mark_ balance $100, sits out
ThePureNuts balance $102, lost $39 [ 7c 7d ] [ three of a kind, sevens -- Kh,Qd,7c,7d,7h ]
touchofevil balance $174, lost $9 (folded)
PTWOLF balance $129, lost $9 (folded)
DaraH76 balance $129, didn't bet (folded)
Homer_Jay balance $362, bet $39, collected $109, net +$70 [ Qh Qc ] [ three of a kind, queens -- Kh,Qh,Qc,Qd,Td ]
kriks balance $169, didn't bet (folded)
bill78rule balance $432, lost $1 (folded)
bosshog245 balance $0, sits out

Hand 2

Hello Homer_Jay,
You have recently requested your transcript of the game number 78770517.

***** Hand History for Game 78770517 *****
3/6 TexasHTGameTable - Sun Jun 15 22:27:12 EDT 2003
Table Rock N'' Roll (Real Money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: LittleTexas ( $126)
Seat 3: ThePureNuts ( $141)
Seat 4: touchofevil ( $183)
Seat 5: PTWOLF ( $147)
Seat 6: DaraH76 ( $138)
Seat 7: Homer_Jay ( $196)
Seat 8: kriks ( $175)
Seat 9: bill78rule ( $436)
Seat 10: bosshog245 ( $30)
kriks posts small blind (1)
bill78rule posts big blind (3)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Homer_Jay [ Js, Jh ]
LittleTexas: great hand
bosshog245 calls (3)
LittleTexas raises (6) to 6
DaraH76: ty
ThePureNuts folds.
touchofevil folds.
PTWOLF calls (6)
DaraH76 calls (6)
Homer_Jay calls (6)
kriks calls (5)
bill78rule folds.
bosshog245 calls (3)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Jd, 2d, 7s ]
kriks checks.
bosshog245 checks.
LittleTexas bets (3)
PTWOLF calls (3)
DaraH76 calls (3)
Homer_Jay raises (6) to 6
kriks folds.
bosshog245 calls (6)
LittleTexas raises (6) to 9
PTWOLF folds.
DaraH76 folds.
Homer_Jay raises (6) to 12
bosshog245 calls (6)
LittleTexas calls (3)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6c ]
bosshog245 bets (6)
LittleTexas raises (12) to 12
Homer_Jay raises (18) to 18
bosshog245 calls (6)
bosshog245 calls all-In.
LittleTexas calls (6)
Creating Main Pot with $114 with bosshog245
** Dealing River ** : [ 4d ]
LittleTexas checks.
Homer_Jay bets (6)
LittleTexas calls (6)
** Summary **
Main Pot: $114 | Side Pot 1: $24 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Jd 2d 7s 6c 4d ]
LittleTexas balance $84, lost $42 [ Kh Ks ] [ a pair of kings -- Kh,Ks,Jd,7s,6c ]
ThePureNuts balance $141, didn't bet (folded)
touchofevil balance $183, didn't bet (folded)
PTWOLF balance $138, lost $9 (folded)
DaraH76 balance $129, lost $9 (folded)
Homer_Jay balance $292, bet $42, collected $138, net +$96 [ Js Jh ] [ three of a kind, jacks -- Js,Jh,Jd,7s,6c ]
kriks balance $169, lost $6 (folded)
bill78rule balance $433, lost $3 (folded)
bosshog245 balance $0, lost $30 [ As Jc ] [ a pair of jacks -- As,Jc,Jd,7s,6c ]

-- Homer

slavic
06-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Smite him for he doth mock you

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 12:43 PM

slavic
06-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Ahh but Homer if it were me some fool would have stayed in with the back flush draw.

Homer
06-17-2003, 12:50 PM
You're right, and it would have been me....bwahahahaa!!! jk

-- Homer

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Great post, well-written (I can feel your pain). It's good to smile in spite of the results.

I took a peek at my records... I'm in danger of having my first losing month this year (I'm down $250 so far). I'm really working hard to turn this around.

Thanks for the laugh, and take care. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Nice river bet on the JJ hand. While it may seem obvious lots of players will check that down. Nice bet.

RockLobster
06-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Nice river bet on the JJ hand. While it may seem obvious lots of players will check that down. Nice bet.

This is a tricky one for me... once the flush draw hits I'm a bit nervous to bet here. Any advice?

Homer
06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Notice that one guy went all-in on the turn and my remaining opponent has been pounding on the flop and turn, so it is unlikely that he is on the flush draw. Therefore, I should bet because I can squeeze another $6 out of the side pot even if I happen to lose the main pot. If the third player was still in the hand it will be a much more difficult situation.

-- Homer

CrackerZack
06-17-2003, 01:32 PM
couldn't be better stated. the all-in guy may have the flush so you have to get that extra bet from the guy who almost certainly does not.