PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Dual Monitors

boose_bagina
11-04-2005, 08:20 AM
I have a question regarding setting up Dual Monitors and I'd be extremely grateful if someone could help me out.

I'm looking into installing another monitor on the computer I currently use. I believe it has a built in video card, so I stole an ATI video card from my other cpu and hooked it in. Only problem is when I restart my computer, the video card I just installed is the only one my cpu recognizes and when I check in 'device manager', the driver for my original display adaptor is no longer there, and only the new adaptor is visible, thus I cannot hook up two monitors. I'm sure I'm just overlooking something and if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be awesome.

Thanks a bunch.

TheTROLL
11-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Depending on the motherboard, the onboard video is often disabled automatically by the addition of an AGP/PCI graphics card. If it's possible to run both at once, there will be an option in the BIOS to re-enable the onboard video.

boose_bagina
11-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I changed to boot AGP/Onboard in the BIOS, but it still boots and only recognizes PCI.

astroglide
11-04-2005, 05:00 PM
as he said, it's very typical for onboard to be disabled if you install an add-in card

boose_bagina
11-04-2005, 06:41 PM
so does this mean I need a PCI card with dual monitor outputs instead? no way to get around it?

astroglide
11-04-2005, 07:36 PM
i can't know without knowing your hardware, but a single card with 2+ outputs or multiple cards would seem to be your only likely choice