PDA

View Full Version : Burger King Menu Confusion

jakethebake
11-04-2005, 05:27 AM
I was at the Burger King yesterday and heard someone behind me order something "extra hot". The cashier repeeated it, yelling it to the kitchen. What is on the BK menu that someone could order extra hot? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, as an aside, they have a new Asian guy working there that calls /images/graemlins/heart.gifthe customers "Boss" and actually repeats it over and over during your order. It's like being in some old movie that has a bunch of Asian collies in it. "Sure thing, Boss. No pickles, Boss. Right away, Boss." He actually talks like this, but he's young and has very little accent.. It's very weird.

11-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Could they have meant hot as in heat and not spicy? That is - bring it out right away - Don't let it sit. When my wife was pregnant and craving fries, she would make me order "Fresh, Hot, Fries" from the drive-thru.

p.s. Yes, I am a big puss - but I did eventually want to have sex again.

jakethebake
11-04-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Could they have meant hot as in heat and not spicy? That is - bring it out right away - Don't let it sit. When my wife was pregnant and craving fries, she would make me order "Fresh, Hot, Fries" from the drive-thru.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. But wouldn't you just then ask for fresh fries? Not "extra hot"?

Larimani
11-04-2005, 05:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, as an aside, they have a new Asian guy working there that calls /images/graemlins/heart.gifthe customers "Boss" and actually repeats it over and over during your order. It's like being in some old movie that has a bunch of Asian collies in it. "Sure thing, Boss. No pickles, Boss. Right away, Boss." He actually talks like this, but he's young and has very little accent.. It's very weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a UK thing, Boss.

LockForward
11-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Don't they have a spicy chicken sandwich? Or did they get rid of that?

MrTrik
11-04-2005, 09:25 AM
BK is running commercials here for a hot burger. Includes jalapeno cheese and something else I can't quite remember. I think it was Tobasco related.

I only do BK for breakfast once in a while, so I have no clue.

Rooster71
11-04-2005, 12:30 PM
It's hard to say.

Here's my BK rant: I know that of the several BK's in my area, most of them suck. BK advertises their burgers as "flame-broiled", yet many of the BK's I've visited put the patties on the grill just enough to get grill marks on the patty. They then finish cooking the patty in the microwave, which gives it that nuked crappy taste and a plain gray color. They keep doing it that way and people apparently keep buying them. Their burgers are great when cooked like they are supposed to be.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I end up calling security guards and what not "boss" or "chief". They love it.

krimson
11-04-2005, 01:01 PM
BK was my first job, so I can answer this one.

"Extra Hot" means they microwave it twice as long.
"Fresh off the Grill" is the magic word, takes a bit longer but they have to give you freshly cooked meat and a freshly toasted bun, this can be done for all items if you don't mind waiting 5 minutes for your food.

ie: this has nothing to do with spice factor.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"Fresh off the Grill" is the magic word, takes a bit longer but they have to give you freshly cooked meat and a freshly toasted bun, this can be done for all items if you don't mind waiting 5 minutes for your food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait I can ask for this, and it's like common BK knowledge? This might be the best news I've heard in months!

krimson
11-04-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's hard to say.

Here's my BK rant: I know that of the several BK's in my area, most of them suck. BK advertises their burgers as "flame-broiled", yet many of the BK's I've visited put the patties on the grill just enough to get grill marks on the patty. They then finish cooking the patty in the microwave, which gives it that nuked crappy taste and a plain gray color. They keep doing it that way and people apparently keep buying them. Their burgers are great when cooked like they are supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]
This also isn't really true. They fully cook it on the grill, but they do 10-20 burgers at a time, and then re-heat them before serving. They are certainly not "cooking" the meat in the microwave.

krimson
11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait I can ask for this, and it's like common BK knowledge? This might be the best news I've heard in months!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the "Have it Your Way" is really powerful to knowledged customers.

You can also ask for no salt on your fries, they have to cook them fresh and then you can salt them yourself so they don't get over-salted.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also ask for no salt on your fries, they have to cook them fresh and then you can salt them yourself so they don't get over-salted.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BottlesOf
11-04-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on going to Bruger King in the next half hour and testing this out. I will report back to OOT.

coffeecrazy1
11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I find "brother" or attaching titles like Mister or Doctor working their way into my addresses of people like this...and like "boss" or "chief," they are very positively received.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on going to Bruger King in the next half hour and testing this out. I will report back to OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 2+2 community has this and many other questions on their collective mind. Will you ask for a toasted bun? Will you get chicken fries? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

krimson
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't piss them off by asking for salt on the side. Only do it if the salt is at a self-serve counter.

BottlesOf
11-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Nah, I'm not a dick. I will ask for the "fresh off the grill" b/c that tastes better and I want to se what kind of reaction I get. I may or may not get chicken fries, I probably will. I'm not going to ask specifically for a toasted bun, as I want to see what fresh of the grill gets me.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, I'm not a dick. I will ask for the "fresh off the grill" b/c that tastes better and I want to se what kind of reaction I get. I may or may not get chicken fries, I probably will. I'm not going to ask specifically for a toasted bun, as I want to see what fresh of the grill gets me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to risk NOT getting a toasted bun?

samjjones
11-04-2005, 01:40 PM
My wife does not like her burger buns toasted (insert joke here). I'm equally perplexed.

11-04-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait, if he DID have an accent or was a bit older, then this behavior would somehow make more sense to you?

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife does not like her burger buns toasted (insert joke here). I'm equally perplexed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So weird; I thought everyone likes a toasted bun? Little side story. theres this place next door to my apartment that has a grill (Europan type joint with sandwiches/ salads/pizza/bagels burgers etc) The short order cook, makes sure to toast the buns and puts a slice of cheese on each side, he takes so much pride in making a perfect burger I just want to give him a hug.

Brain
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking for a toasted bun never crossed my mind until the grill guy at school asked me one day. It opened up a whole new world of possibilities.

BottlesOf
11-04-2005, 02:19 PM
I think toasted buns and toasted bread for sandwiches for the most part are very overrated. It depends on the method of the toasting and exactly what kind of sandwich you get. IMO, most people are way too toast-happy.

Anyway the report: This is going to be disappointing and for that I'm sorry.

I order my double cheeseburger value meal "fresh off the grill" the woman punches in her computer without really acknowledging my special request, and asks what kind of drink. I answer and then I get to the chicken. Chicken fries don't come in orders smaller than 9 for $5, so it's basically another meal and I don't want that. I opt instead for the chicken tenders which I have a history of loving. I get my 5 piece, but they don't have honey sauce for them (this prags me beyond belief) and I settle for sweet & sour.

The burger itself was tasty, but I couldn't really distinguish it from other double cheeseburgers I get there. There was also no mention of "fresh of the grill" or anything like that on my reciept. I didn't pay close atention to every word/computer command exchanged between the cashier and the kitchen so I don't know how my request was conveyed, if at all.

Here's what I believe: the double cheesburger is not a standard menu item, so it has to be made on the spot anyway, so "fresh off the grill" has no menaing for this sandwich.

Bottom line conclusion: inconclusive, and I'm going to the vending machine for some raisnettes, feeling fairly disgusting...

11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the double cheesburger is not a standard menu item

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly standard at all the BKs I've been to. There's a value meal for it.

MrTrik
11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the double cheesburger is not a standard menu item

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly standard at all the BKs I've been to. There's a value meal for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly do BK for breakfast once or twice a month. But when I do hit BK for lunch I always order the double cheeseburger meal. It's the only thing I ever order and it's been there for decades.

krimson
11-04-2005, 06:25 PM
The double cheeseburger is standard afaik. But that's besides the point as I don't think any BK ever pre-makes these anyways. Not common enough. The patties are pre-cooked and buns pre-toasted though (only supposed to be used within 15 minutes or something).

JBB i'm guessing they just didn't acknowledge your request for off the grill.

samjjones
11-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Bacon double cheese and a 5 piece chicken tender.

RacersEdge
11-04-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an easier way to do that - just ask for the fries without salt. They will have to make them fresh.

IndieMatty
11-04-2005, 06:48 PM
God, I knew I should have done this experiment. ORDER A WHOPPER.

11-04-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an easier way to do that - just ask for the fries without salt. They will have to make them fresh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting that I tell my pregnant wife that she has to salt her own fries or that I salt them myself and risk under/over salting them? Either is -SexEV

11-04-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...preganat wife... Either is -SexEV

[/ QUOTE ]
Is pregnancy -SexEV? Or just the opposite? I have no experience with such subjects.

11-04-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is pregnancy -SexEV? Or just the opposite? I have no experience with such subjects.

[/ QUOTE ]

In an attempt to get this thread back on track...

Sex and pregnancy is like really good fast food. When you first find out you're getting it...you're really psyched and eat alot. Then as you get bloated you get sick of it for a long time. Then, eventually you clear your digestive system, realize you are hungry and want to eat a lot again. The trick is not to permamently block your digestive system. Got it?

MowrMowr
11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I believe: the double cheesburger is not a standard menu item, so it has to be made on the spot anyway, so "fresh off the grill" has no menaing for this sandwich.

[/ QUOTE ]

"fresh off the grill" is not the equivalent of "freshly put together". BK has a grill and a steamer...things are put through the grill in batches and kept warm in the steamer (with a maximum amount of time allowed before throwing away) until put together. I have a feeling she didn't listen to you and you didn't really get "fresh off the grill". If the order taker doesn't call it back as such, complain to the manager and wait for what you ordered. The "no salt" trick is the best and BK **HAS** to freshly make fries 100% of the time because of people with sodium issues (heart problems, etc.)

tonypaladino
11-04-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So wait, if he DID have an accent or was a bit older, then this behavior would somehow make more sense to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Boss" and "chief" thing is very common amongst recent immigrants, especially from south-asian countries.

I like it, and I call people boss and chief too.

HopeydaFish
11-04-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that "fresh off the grill" will get you some saliva with your burger.

Jules22
11-05-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i call everyone boss, or sir, or other terms of respect, ESPECIALLY if i do not know them personally. i like to start off with everyone on the right foot, and most people like being called a name that puts them in a position of authority