PDA

View Full Version : ATo in SB vs button raise

curtains
06-16-2003, 07:03 PM
Its down to the final 4 in a pokerstars 2 table NL tournament. Everyone has a decent stack size at the table. The blinds are 100/200 with 25 dollar ante and I have 4900 in chips. The cutoff folds and the button (who has 8500 in chips) raises to 600. I have ATo in the SB. What is the correct play (The BB has about 4500 also).

Al_Capone_Junior
06-16-2003, 08:11 PM
There is a very good chance you have the best hand here, especially if the button is aggressive when stealing blinds. And with four left, AT is a pretty darn good looking hand. A reraise is a definite possibility. Another choice would be to call, and bet out on the flop. If he has no pair, he'll probably fold. However, you're going to be out of position, so if you're not going to go all-in, you might be the one in a quagmire if you wimp out on the flop when you flop nothing. I'd decide if you want to make a stand, and if so, go all-in. That puts you in the driver's seat and puts HIM to a decision. I hate when someone else steal-raises, I call with a pretty good hand, but then have to fold because they have position on me. Go all-in.

al

Deelah
06-16-2003, 08:34 PM
I agree with Al. Button makes a typical steal-raise (the genius of it?) and you have a very strong hand short-handed. Go all-in and put him on a decision.
You will probably win a nice pot and this play will maybe prevent some steal-raises further on.

Night mare scenario is that he actually got a hand like AK or something. Say he does, wouldn´t he like some play then and maybe just double the blinds or is that a kind of newbie play? Hmm..

Al_Capone_Junior
06-16-2003, 09:10 PM
"Night mare scenario is that he actually got a hand like AK or something. Say he does, wouldn´t he like some play then and maybe just double the blinds or is that a kind of newbie play? Hmm.. "

Your comments show that it's important not to be too predictable yourself when stealing blinds. I usually get very suspicious if someone limps in on the button, they might just have a hand that wants action. For this reason (predictability), even if I have AA on the button, I'll always raise at least the minimum anyway. You've got to hope someone has a hand and suspects you of stealing. However, those times I want to steal and absolutely don't want to be called, I do raise more. Now against a small stack (we're talking tournaments only now), when the blind is fairly large, I will often just raise the minimum when I steal. But if my minimum raise is around half his stack or more, I won't do it unless I intend to call his all-in.

The good thing about playing this way is that late in a tournament, you'll have enough opportunities to steal so that you can mix it up a little and confuse your opponents.

Damn, I go on and on, don't I... The world according to al, right? lol

al