PDA

View Full Version : River...Call or Reraise?

11-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Villain is 43/15/1.3 and was actively involved at this table over 300 hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

River: (8.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>

Who calls and who raises?

TTChamp
11-04-2005, 02:00 AM
I think this guy either has A3 (most likely), a monster (aces, tens, nines) that he played like an idiot, or is on a total bluff (least likely). Ignoring the total bluff, you need to be right 67% of the time to make raising correct. I think that you meet that criteria so I say raise.

All that being said, I would most likely wimp out in the heat of battle.

BTW, do you ever 3 bet pf here? I think there is value to 3 betting here.

11-04-2005, 02:04 AM
You didnt get the memo about that?

slik
11-04-2005, 02:07 AM
call in confusion. i wouldn't even consider raising against this opponent. 1.3 AF is mild.

TTChamp
11-04-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You didnt get the memo about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????????????????
Help me out.

TTChamp
11-04-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
call in confusion. i wouldn't even consider raising against this opponent. 1.3 AF is mild.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you put him on? 25? 33?

Also don't forget that this guy is putting money in the pot nearly half the time (not including the times he gets a free look from the BB). When you play that many hands, 1.3 aggresion factor can be significant, especially if he calls on the flop a lot with crap.

Weatherhead03
11-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Im calling this. I am really confused how villian played it. 99/TT/AT are all possibilites although A4 and A3 are also. I still dont see any value in reraising the river.

TTChamp
11-04-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im calling this. I am really confused how villian played it. 99/TT/AT are all possibilites although A4 and A3 are also. I still dont see any value in reraising the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't see him calling the turn and raising the river with anything but a monster or A3. A monster isn't that likely because Hero and the board have a lot of the cards required of a monster.

IMO 43s is more likely here than At. Results??

Lmn55d
11-04-2005, 02:54 AM
I hate the turn check. Let him raise with an ace so you can 3bet or bluff raise with a hand that needs to at least see the river. A lot of his CO opening hands probably have a straight draw here as well that he will often call but not bet.

Weatherhead03
11-04-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't see him calling the turn and raising the river with anything but a monster or A3. A monster isn't that likely because Hero and the board have a lot of the cards required of a monster.

IMO 43s is more likely here than At. Results??

[/ QUOTE ]

I still dont think that 43s is more likely than AT. IMO it would go A3&gt;AT&gt;43 I may be wrong about this though.

11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
It's strange that no one said they would 3-bet and no one said T9 as a possibility. IMO this is an easy 3-bet unless the guy played 33 in a crazy way. I was 6 tabling and was definitely in the heat of battle, yet it still only took about 2 seconds of thinking before I hit the raise button.

Don't forget about villain's perception of my hand. I didn't reraise PF, so it doesn't look to him like I have a set. Also, my turn check makes it look like I had an open end or something. Then my turn raise looked like I was making a play at the pot. I'm sure this guy was very confused at my play....

Just about as confused as I was when I 3-bet the river and he folded for the last bet.

slik
11-04-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what do you put him on? 25? 33?

Also don't forget that this guy is putting money in the pot nearly half the time (not including the times he gets a free look from the BB). When you play that many hands, 1.3 aggresion factor can be significant, especially if he calls on the flop a lot with crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
his raise puts up a warning. after cr the flop and turn and betting out on the river, he decides that his hand is best. i've seen idiots slow play flopped sets like this. A3 and such too. not to mention 25 and 33. the thing is, i would hate calling a capped bet, and believe that reraising is marginally profitable at best -- and that would be read based, definitely non standard against average opponent.

MicroBob
11-05-2005, 03:39 AM
I had a hand sort of like this where I just called on the river (because I've been a river wuss lately) and I was shown a total bluff.
Something like Q7o that missed completely.

There ARE players who have had enough times where their turn or river bets induced folds (whether they wanted that result or not) that they think it's worth a shot in almost any heads-up situation.
they probably fail to look at the board (or maybe saw your turn play as an attempt to steal it) and just bluff-raise when the mood strikes them or when they have a hunch it might work.

something like that anyway.

i'll admit that I was deep in the A3 camp for this guy (for obvious reasons).
I would probably 3-bet this river though against this opponent. If he caps it with 33 or anything else kind of weird that beats me then 'oh well'.
I think I make the profit enough of the time here (67% seems right to me) to justify the re-raise.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-05-2005, 03:46 AM
I think this a re-raise mostly because the big hands that beat you don't fit in with the previous action and looks like he popped 2p.

TTChamp
11-05-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's strange that no one said they would 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you meet that criteria so I say raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have me on ignore?

Also, what do you think of 3 betting pf?

11-05-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you have me on ignore?

Also, what do you think of 3 betting pf?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry about the delay...I had you on ignore
J/K

Pre-flop, I'm not too comfortable 3-betting this guy's CO raise from the BB with A9o. His range might have some hands that I beat, but if I bloat the pot, I'm pretty much forced to hit as much as he is. There's almost no flop or turn fold equity against this guy either. I'm OOP and not sure if I can make every showdown as a favorite, so I'd rather just defend and play the hand from there.