PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Not Opening

Soul Daddy
11-04-2005, 01:19 AM
When I try to open the browser, it simply does nothing at all. No window opens, no dialog alerting me of an issue, nothing. When I open the task manager, it shows no evidence of the program running, but when I uninstall it says that it is. After a few prompts, it goes ahead with the uninstall, but that strikes me a weird.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and restarted several times, but nothing has changed. What am I missing here? Am I just a noob? Any help appreciated.

ChipWrecked
11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
This will happen if you are out of disk space.

JDErickson
11-04-2005, 12:34 PM
GO into Task manager and check the Processes tab for firefox.exe. If its there terminate it and try again.

I have had a few times where this process does not end and then Firefox will not start up again.

Wyers
11-04-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GO into Task manager and check the Processes tab for firefox.exe. If its there terminate it and try again.

I have had a few times where this process does not end and then Firefox will not start up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. This happens to me with Outlook quite often. Can't get it to open only to find 4 instances of it running under Processes.

astroglide
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
are you running any kind of apps (even systray ones) that have some sort of web scraping behavior and might be using firefox? if you run palm desktop sync for a palmpilot with outlook mail/calendar sync enabled it will 'run outlook' (even though it's not actually open), for example.

as far as an uninstall goes, go for a nuke approach:

- uninstall firefox

- delete the entire 'mozilla firefox' directory under 'program files' on your hard drive. if it claims you've got open files when you do this, it's definitely still running somehow. go through your system tray applications (icons in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen), close them all, and try deleting again

- delete your firefox profile. this will be in the 'documents and settings' directory on your hard drive. go there, open up the directory of your username. you'll need to view hidden files to see the 'application data' directory. if you can't see it, go to tools/folder options, click the 'view' tab, and checkbox 'show hidden folders and files'. go to the 'application data' directory and delete the entire 'mozilla' directory.

Soul Daddy
11-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Perfect. Thanks!

astroglide
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
worked? i hope from 'nuke' and all the deletions you inferred that your bookmarks and everything will get toasted here too. bookmarks.html is in the mozilla/firefox directory under docs and settings.

Soul Daddy
11-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I guess my profile was the problem.
Not a problem, I use google/ig (http://www.google.com/ig) for most of my bookmarks.