PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Online Winner (BOW) Strategy (Little Green Book)

mayesie
11-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Hello All,
I'd like to discuss the strategy used by the "Biggest Online Winner (BOW)", as
described in Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. I find this strategy to be quite
interesting; I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed in greater detail. For those who
haven't read the book, here's a brief description of the BOW strategy used in NL
Cash Games (as referenced in the book on pp 246):

1. Get in the pot cheaply

2. Massively overbet with some premium draws

3. Massively overbet with the nuts or the best hand

Here's an example (also referenced from the book on pp 246):

After the flop the pot is 500.00
BOW has 5,000.00
I have 5,000.00 and Ac Kd
The flop comes down: Ah 7s 6s
BOW moves all-in

Here are the specifics I'd like to discuss:

1) Has anyone used this strategy? If so, what's your opinion of it? If not, feel free
to give your opinion.

2) Overall, does anyone believe this strategy to be more effective at some limits,
while being less effective at others?

3) If one is utilizing this strategy, is it correct to go all-in everytime he / she
flops a strong draw, or flops the nuts? This question assumes that no adjustments have yet
been made by the opponents to effectively counter this strategy.

4) Is this strategy also used with a less spectacular holding (Top Pair, Strong
Kicker, for example), if believed to still be the best and?

5) How does this strategy effect the frequency of making pure-bluffs?

I really hope to get alot of good thoughts on this topic.

BR,
mayesie

binions
11-04-2005, 01:12 AM
It's a deep money strategy. It wont work against medium stacks like on the normal internet tables - they'll call too often.

mayesie
11-04-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a deep money strategy. It wont work against medium stacks like on the normal internet tables - they'll call too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Binions,
Thanks for the response. Where does one find an Online NL Cash Game where you can buy-in for more than 100 Big Blinds?

11-04-2005, 01:43 AM
I think they have some no max on UB now, but it might be small blinds as well.

mayesie
11-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Hi Larry,
Thanks for the response. Do you have any thoughts on the topic?

xorbie
11-04-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you only raise with premium draws and monster hands, you want them to call too often.

mayesie
11-04-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if you only raise with premium draws and monster hands, you want them to call too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Xorbie,
Thanks for the reply. Would you consider an 11-out draw to be "premium" for this strategy? You'd be about a 59-41 dog , but the amount of Fold-Equity you're getting should more than compensate. Based on Fold-Equity and Odds of making your hand, I think a clean 8-out draw would show a profit using this strategy.