PDA

View Full Version : How'd I do

Louie Landale
06-16-2003, 06:15 PM
The Loose-Passive LP called, I raised in MP with AdKh, the second best player in the game "Villian" calls on the button, BB folds, 3 to the flop.

Flop is Ks8s4d. Loose-Passive bets, I (just) call, Villian calls. 3 to the turn.

Turn is Qs, making 3 spaded on board. LP checks, I bet, Villian raises, LP calls, I fold.

[A] How'd I do? Over-all, I'd say marginal on the bad side.

Answer that before reading on.

Preamble. Several hands early the Villian had raised in MP, 4 to the flop. Flop was K86 everbody checks. Turn was 8. Check, villian bets, others fold, but now the good player in EP raises, villian calls. River was 9. EP bets, Villian calls. Villian wins with stiff AJ!!

Now watching that hand I concluded that Villian had a strong grasp of what he was representing and knew that when he bet the turn it looked like no pair. EP raised on the bluff, and Villian suspecting as much made the spectacular pay off. So then I concluded that I could fool the Villian by misplaying a hand on the flop figuring he would stick his neck out against me. So when the first hand went down (I raised with AK), I deliberately just called the flop bet figuring to fool the villian into making a mistake. So he called. When I bet the turn I was obviously not representing a strong hand. He raised and I folded (partly because of LP's call).

So, I successfully fooled Villian into over-playing his hand but then through my hand away against him anyway. So over-all I'd have to say that my play of that hand went from marginally bad to a disaster: I pushed the opponent out on a limb and then buckled under the pressure that I created for myself. I hate it when that happens.

- Louie

PS. LP flopped 2-small pair and won, and villian, it seemed, had only the stiff As.

AceHigh
06-16-2003, 07:23 PM
"[A] How'd I do?"

Bad. Unless this player is very straight forward, you can't fold. A good player can make this play with too many hands, figuring it will cost him the same as calling turn and river.

When you play a big hand passively/deceptively , you should be prepared to take a little more heat with it.

Louie Landale
06-17-2003, 02:05 PM
"When you play a big hand passively/deceptively , you should be prepared to take a little more heat with it. "

Dang. I knew there was a suitable one-liner for this situation, I just couldn't think of it.

- Louie

Barry
06-17-2003, 02:09 PM
So Louie...

Who was the best player in the game?

elysium
06-17-2003, 02:26 PM
hi louis
i like how you played it.

GrinningBuddha
06-17-2003, 03:47 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So Louie...

Who was the best player in the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meanie. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

ddcpr
06-17-2003, 04:50 PM
I think with three players in the hand you can't afford not to raise the flop. For all you know they're both on flush draws and you almost certainly have the best hand here. LP could have a lot of hands, but what can the Villain have that beats you at this point? As it turned out, LP's two pair had you beat, but you still have outs to beat him. Even without knowing the results of the hand I still think raising here is the only play.