PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

Catfish
06-16-2003, 05:19 PM
I like to play in Teas Hold'em No Limit, one table tournaments with 10 handed tables. The top 3 people win money. I try to play tight and aggressive in these games. I have been using one strategy that has seemed to be fairly successful and I wanted general observations on it. Early in the tournament, if I am dealt a strong hand AA, KK, AKs, AQs, QQ or JJ. I most likely raise pre-flop, regardless of position. My typical bet will be 200 to 250 in chips (out of 1000), the blinds are typically 5-10 or 10-20 in these situations. I usually get one individual to call. If the flop is 26Q lets say, I typically go all in if I am betting first, If I am betting last, and it gets checked to me, I bet another 200 to 300 hundred. I would say, this has allowed my to steal pots 80 to 90 percent of the time, I know once in a while, my opponent might catch trips or an open end straight, but most of the time, they fold for fear of losing half or all of their stack. Is this type of bet crazy or is this sensible logic. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Louie Landale
06-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Way over-betting the pot probably isn't the right thing to do, especially if its most of you money. You'll accomplish the same affect by jeopardizing only half the opponent's stack.

Note the following: [1] if you bet half the opponent's stack, HE is realistically risking his ENTIRE stack since he's sure to call the other half when (and if) you bet the turn. However, you are risking only half when you are bluffing since you won't invest any more this hand if called. This is a major reason the better has such an advantage over the caller: the caller is risking more. [2] Be sure to stay selective before the flop. It doesn't make sense to play, say group 1-5 hand figuring to almost always steal the flop: the opponents will quickly figure out what you are doing and start calling.

- Louie