PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead: Who else is excited?

11-03-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm really excited for this movie, especially since I saw Donnie Darko for the first time last week. Besides that, I haven't seen any other Jake Ghyllenhal (sp?) movies, so I'm not totally sure what to expect. Is anyone as pumped about this as I am?

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Hell yeah, the book was cool too. I may see this movie more than once.

11-03-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm excited

PokerFink
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Very.

Sam Mendes (director) is awesome.

CD56
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really excited for this movie, especially since I saw Donnie Darko for the first time last week. Besides that, I haven't seen any other Jake Ghyllenhal (sp?) movies, so I'm not totally sure what to expect. Is anyone as pumped about this as I am?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am....but Jake Gyllenhall is not one of the reasons, i have no objections to him, but i don't think he's especially good either.

coolhandkuhn
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I predict this will be a terrible movie...but I may be biased, as I have a brother who was a special force marine, and I actually know marines, and I don't think Hollywood's going to do a very good job portraying them (especially with Jake Gyllanhof[sp?] as the lead). Wasn't Jakethebake a marine...what say you?

TheBlueMonster
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm not pumped up per se. But I am looking forward to it.

MEbenhoe
11-03-2005, 10:16 PM
any word on what type of bias this movie is going to have? the commercials dont make it very clear (which from an advertising standpoint is a good idea).

11-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Ex-Army, best friend with plenty of marines... I dont watch war movies.

call me a pussy, but that was an all to real thing to me, and Im not a huge fan of watching it.

But if they could finally portray marines for the way they really are, it would be eye-opening, and a good thing.

housenuts
11-03-2005, 10:36 PM
i'm pumped. i read the book too, however on friday/saturday i'm going to be on ex firing the machine gun so won't be able to check it till sunday night

dblgutshot
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
I"m gonna watch it. I read the book and enjoyed it, but it doesn't seem like it's a movie that people get "pumped up" for. I accredit that to Kanye West.

pokerdirty
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/th-00126_rgb.jpg

Hoo rah.

Hamish McBagpipe
11-03-2005, 10:56 PM
I just read a good review in our local alt-paper. here (http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2005-11-03/movie_reviews.php)

lighterjobs
11-03-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/siihp/th-00126_rgb.jpg

Hoo rah.

[/ QUOTE ]

my hero.

11-03-2005, 11:00 PM
I will definitely see it the first weekend it comes out.

dblgutshot
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hoo rah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hoo is backwards.

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hoo rah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hoo is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]I think its more of an "eew rah".

pokerdirty
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hoo rah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hoo is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, i thought it was 'hoo' not 'ooh'. just another young white +middle class kid taking advantage of the minorities serving our country

flatline
I was hoping this movie was going to be a classic, but its just been getting mixed reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jarhead/). Not as excited now.

11-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Ray Goes to Iraq?

ThaSaltCracka
11-03-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping this movie was going to be a classic, but its just been getting mixed reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jarhead/). Not as excited now.

[/ QUOTE ]so what, move critics blow.

Weatherhead03
11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
I cant wait to see it.

nef
11-04-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

oops, i thought it was 'hoo' not 'ooh'. just another young white +middle class kid taking advantage of the minorities serving our country

[/ QUOTE ]

powerpoint on Marine/military racial demographics

http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/demographics/FY04%20Marine%20Corps%20Profile.ppt

link on US population racial demographics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States

I will probably see this movie

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-04-2005, 12:51 AM
This looks like it could be a pretty badass movie. I'm going to see it on Saturday.

tdarko
11-04-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I predict this will be a terrible movie...but I may be biased, as I have a brother who was a special force marine, and I actually know marines, and I don't think Hollywood's going to do a very good job portraying them (especially with Jake Gyllanhof[sp?] as the lead). Wasn't Jakethebake a marine...what say you?

[/ QUOTE ]
we will see for sure but anthony swofford (author of the book and the marine/lead charcter--gyllanhall's character) had a ton of influence in this movie, what went in and out and worked with mendes with the script. this will be a movie that isn't pro war or against war, but about war from the mind of someone who was in it...not the mind of a man behind a camera. if swofford had as much to do with this film as mendes said he did then there will not be too much hollywood fluff about it (there has to be a little to appeal to a broad general audience cause if you read the book you would know that a lot of that grit can't be directed straight to screen).

it could be a bust who knows, i hope not.

mendes has said some incredible stuff about jake g. and why he took the role...

KaneKungFu123
11-04-2005, 01:06 AM
ghyllenhal comes from an acting family and is a very good actor imho.

he also named his company 'nine stories' tribute to salinger. totally cool in my book.

JihadOnTheRiver
11-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I think I have to see this movie, for obvious reasons, but I'm not particularly excited about it. I have a feeling it will be a bit too touchy-feely-hollywoodish for me.

-Jihad

PS. I'm going to wait to see it for a couple weeks, as seeing a movie called "Jarhead" opening week in San Diego could be a nightmare.

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 01:20 AM
I get pumped every time i see this trailer.

Freaking awesome.

I can't wait.

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i HATE this. If you're excited to see a movie, [censored] reading reviews, you already know you want to see it.

I was looking forward to seeing Fantastic 4 (yea shut up) and me and my friend were going to, and then he read all the reviews and decided it sucked.

THINK FOR YOURSELF

bbadfljk.

Not that reviews arent good for a movie that you dunno if you want to see.. but if you decide something looks good, why let someone you don't know, make you not want to see something.

11-04-2005, 01:33 AM
hey man congrats on your EPT tourney placing

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey man congrats on your EPT tourney placing

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thank you.

TwoNiner
11-04-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping this movie was going to be a classic, but its just been getting mixed reviews. Not as excited now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read those reviews yesterday. Every one seems to be bashing it for "not taking a political stance" and crap like that.

[ QUOTE ]
Jarhead is a movie that walks up to some of the most urgent and painful issues of our present circumstance, clears its throat loudly and says nothing. A.O. Scott-NYTtimes DoucheBag"

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares, pussy. It's a war movie not a DNC video. Go rewatch The Thin Red Line.

[ QUOTE ]
Never comes close to expressing the insanity of war itself."Nicholas Schager

[/ QUOTE ]

Grab a history book Nick. This wasn't exactly WW2. It was a mudhole stomping.

[ QUOTE ]
"It is not often that a movie catches exactly what it was like to be this person in this place at this time, but Jarhead does."
-- Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

[/ QUOTE ]

His friend died. He knows what it's all about.

I'm catching the matinee. I'm praying it's better than Two for the Money.

Rick Nebiolo
11-04-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm hoping it's going to be a great movie. Even if it's not, read the book.

jakethebake
11-04-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Jakethebake a marine...what say you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hollywood typically does a terrible job, but I'll reserve judgement until after I see it.

codewarrior
11-04-2005, 07:44 AM
According to a report on NPR, they took the book, which to those who didn't read it is a personal account "getting inside one man's head" into a more encompassing perspective of the Corps, which seriously undermines the book's original intent.

RDWallace
11-04-2005, 08:54 AM
youre an idiot. I must have missed Malick's Democratic endorsement in The Thin Red Line.

Shajen
11-04-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Jakethebake a marine...what say you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hollywood typically does a terrible job, but I'll reserve judgement until after I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. For now, this movie gets a /images/graemlins/crazy.gif rating.

Hopefully, it will get a /images/graemlins/cool.gif rating after I see it. I'll probably go sunday.

LSUfan1
11-04-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hoo rah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hoo is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]I think its more of an "eew rah".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's OOH RAH! people.

If this movie is done right, it will be terrific. Knowing a Jarhead, and being one are 2 diffrent things. I am NOT a Jarhead, but a Navy corpsman (jarhead medic). I was with 1st force recon in Somalia, and trained with the jarheads at Pendleton for some time.

And yes, I am excited as well.

Shajen
11-04-2005, 09:54 AM
what area of Pendleton?

I was stationed at Pendleton for most of the 5 years I was in. Didn't actually spend a lot of time there though.

LSUfan1
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
I spent most of my time at the Hospital and at Del Mar area.

Had one hell of a good time with the jarheads! Gained a complete respect for them while I was there.

Had 2 jarheads probably save my life. I was out in Oceanside with a buddy when 2 mexican guys drove by screaming some crap about us military pukes, so we told them they were number one. They proceeded to get out of the car and come at us with baseball bats. About the time I started praying, 2 Marines showed up and the mexicans no longer liked their numbers. Will never forget it.

My brother is also in the Corps, but he is 4th Marines....spends his summers out that way though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
spent a lot of time at mainside, although we did a lot of training off the coast of del mar. Also did some training in the e-club there. Fun fun.

I miss O-side.

flatline
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i HATE this. If you're excited to see a movie, [censored] reading reviews, you already know you want to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't hate it nearly as much as I hate people that don't even pay attention to reviews and cause movies like Fantastic 4 and Dukes of Hazard to be big hits while movies like Cinderella Man bomb. The only reason I wanted to see Jarhead was because it had a great trailer. Now I'll wait for the DVD. Actually reading reviews is pretty much the only way to determine if a movie is worth seeing or not.

11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Jake hasn't made a good movie since Donnie.

This movie's gonna be lame.

BottlesOf
11-04-2005, 11:30 AM
OOH RAH.

RunDownHouse
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually reading reviews is pretty much the only way to determine if a movie is worth seeing or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, just wow. Finding a movie critic you can trust is a rare thing, and even then you won't always agree with them. I can't even imagine basing my movie choices on what Bumblefuck P. Barleycorn says about them in the local paper.

Jack of Arcades
11-04-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually reading reviews is pretty much the only way to determine if a movie is worth seeing or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, just wow. Finding a movie critic you can trust is a rare thing, and even then you won't always agree with them. I can't even imagine basing my movie choices on what Bumblefuck P. Barleycorn says about them in the local paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why you take in a bunch of different opinions (Rotten Tomatoes, MetaCritic, imdb) and make a decision out of that.

11-04-2005, 12:05 PM
No.

Jake Gyllenhaal movies with rap music overlaying the trailor isn't enough to get me excited.

Now, Brokeback Mountain... hell yeah baby!

danzasmack
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
I went to the 12:01 AM showing. It was REALLLLLY good.

SL__72
11-04-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking forward to seeing Fantastic 4 (yea shut up) and me and my friend were going to, and then he read all the reviews and decided it sucked.

THINK FOR YOURSELF

bbadfljk.

Not that reviews arent good for a movie that you dunno if you want to see.. but if you decide something looks good, why let someone you don't know, make you not want to see something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree. At least critics provide a (somewhat?) impartial opinion on the film. The preview is going to do whatever it can to make the film look good. You don't have to take a critic's word about whether a film will be "good" or not, but you will find out a lot more about it from reviews then from previews. Remember, they've seen the whole movie and you've seen about a minute of it.

LSUfan1
11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spent a lot of time at mainside, although we did a lot of training off the coast of del mar. Also did some training in the e-club there. Fun fun.

I miss O-side.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Del Mar e-club was quite a bit of fun. 3 clubs in one, and pitcher after pitcher. I was also there for labor day weekend when I was there, so there was a pretty good beach party with MTV and the works.

Much fun....OOH RAH! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick Nebiolo
11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

flatline
11-04-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually seems like a really stupid point. You are saying that you should put more faith in a 90 sec. commercial designed to sell the movie than in objective analysis. If you just like the subject matter, thats fine, whatever. But if you actually want to know if the movie is good or not, read some reviews.

TwoNiner
11-04-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must have missed Malick's Democratic endorsement in The Thin Red Line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was referring to the "War movie with a message" that sucked balls, not being democratic. Why the NYT guy seems to think this movie based off a book made years earlier should some how tackle the political problem in the region we face today is beyond me.

It goes back to the worth of movie reviews. I think they have some worth, but I actually read the reviews. In this case if I read the good reviews and the bad reviews, it seems the movie is something I like. If the good reviews read something like (From the Brown Bunny)- "Much like Bruno Dumont's equally provocative Twentynine Palms, Gallo's peculiarly earnest film ultimately questions the nature of cinema, that continuum of reality and illusion that starts when the theater dims and the screen lights up."

Then I know the movie isn't worth watching even if there is a blow job scene thrown in there.

The good reviews for Jarhead, say it gives a good feel for what it was like overe there, great cinematagrophy while the bad reviews question it's "ambiguity". Those bad reviews won't scare me off a movie like, "Keanu Reeves can't act worth a damn" "I almost threw up from the moving camera"

Rick Nebiolo
11-04-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually seems like a really stupid point. You are saying that you should put more faith in a 90 sec. commercial designed to sell the movie than in objective analysis. If you just like the subject matter, thats fine, whatever. But if you actually want to know if the movie is good or not, read some reviews.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the OP is thinking but in my case I've read and enjoyed the book, and from the trailers it seemed like the's movie is going to be at least interesting.

That said, I couldn't help but read a few reviews, including Roger Ebert who I generally trust.

~ Rick

astroglide
11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
rotten tomatoes outlook not great, but i would think this would be a kind of movie where the bulk of the reveiewers might not get it.

Exitonly
11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, not all trailers make me want to see a movie, this one legitamately makes me excited to see it, and i'm much more likely to enjoy a movie if i go into it excited, than i am if i read a review and then go in with a bad attitude.

I might be arttificially making myself enjoy the movie more, but i dont care.

El Ishmael
11-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Umm. It had Jake [censored] Gyllenhaal. How could this be good?

ThaSaltCracka
11-04-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rotten tomatoes outlook not great, but i would think this would be a kind of movie where the bulk of the reveiewers might not get it.

[/ QUOTE ]I think a lot of the critics were expecting this movie to have some sort of bias, or various other standard action/war movie aspects. From what I hear, this plays more like a documentary with actors than a standard movie. Possibly catching some people off guard?