PDA

View Full Version : too predictable, or is he?

oddjob
06-16-2003, 03:26 PM
i thought this was an interesting hand, just because of my opponents loose talk. he's new to the game, but it's obvious that he thinks he knows a lot. so i've been quietly listening to his words of wisdon. one thing i've caught is that he says no one ever 3 bets preflop without aces. from the way he's talked in the previous hand, if he's seen the flop, he's pretty much going to see the river, if he's got anything.

he's to my right, in ep/mp it folded to him and he raises. i look down to see KK, and i reraise him. everyone folds to him and he calls.

flop comes up small cards rainbow. he moans about my reraise, and checks. i bet. he check raises me, and i 3-bet him. he calls

turn comes another low card, he checks, i bet, he check raises again and i 3-bet him. he calls

river is another small blank, he checks, i bet, he check-raises, and i 3-bet him. he calls.

his talk pervious to this hand, i put him on Q's or J's. at any point should i have given him credit for the A's?

JohnShaft
06-16-2003, 05:22 PM
IMO After the turn check raise you should put him on a hand that beats you, if he has half a brain.

At that point I'm just going to call his c/r.
And I'd even debate betting the river if you can read he'd play AA like this, and he's infected with FPS and wants to show everyone how great he plays.

A while back after raising UTG with AK and getting headsup with the BB on a K hi flop, I got c/r'd twice.
He checked the river, going for a 3rd C/R I have NO doubt, and when I checked I figured he'd made no more (maybe less)than if he'd played his AA normally (despite fooling me 2 of 3).
I felt I'd probably gotten the better of him (he who laughs last), but if I'd let him c/r me that last time I would have f***ing hated myself.

His play was more about trying to put me on tilt, or showing how smart he was, than making the most money (or he would have bet the river against me).

After that hand I made a promise to myself I'd try damn hard to never let an opponent c/r me 3 times on one hand (unless I was ahead, natch).

To add one to the old saying
"Fool me twice shame on you, fool me thrice shame on me"

oddjob
06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
turns out he did not have half a brain, and had pocket J's. i got a little worried after the turn c/r, but decided to stay with my read on him, after his statement about pocket A's.

ZManODS
06-17-2003, 01:33 PM
I believe if he did have the pocket Aces he would have capped on one street. Sounds like he has just an overpair to the board.

Let me know results

JohnShaft
06-17-2003, 05:31 PM
Well I see that Zman, but that's where you got to make a judgement "is he willing not to cap on every street to throw me off?".
If you'll 3 bet him 3 times (3x3=9) because he hasn't capped once (1x4+1+1=6) then you're asking for trouble against a thinking opponent.

The key on this hand is that oddjob's read on the stupidity of his opponent was correct. Listening to him in chat "Nobody 3 bets preflop without Aces" and actually believing it is dangerous though.

The next time this happens it may just be someone who has exactly what he's representing (a hand that beats you) or one who has noticed the chink in your armour.

I know if I'd seen you 3 bet 3 times with pocket Kings I'd be making a note of it.
Against this opponent well played though.