PDA

View Full Version : 55: AJs, am I trying too hard to be smart?

Kristian
11-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Please comment on my play on all streets, and help me decide what to do on the river, possibly tell me what I should have done to avoid the tough decision.

My thought process went along the lines of way ahead/way behind, keep the pot small, not going to get calls from worse hands, etc.

50/100 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: Sovari (930)
Seat 2: VERN (820)
Seat 3: Rancher_FL (1608)
Seat 4: IBGUFIN (1660)
Seat 6: trwillis99 (3977)
Seat 9: Hero (1005)
IBGUFIN posts small blind (25)
trwillis99 posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif ]
Hero raises (175) to 175
Sovari folds.
VERN folds.
Rancher_FL calls (175)
IBGUFIN folds.
trwillis99 calls (125)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] (t550)
trwillis99 checks.
Hero checks.
Rancher_FL bets (90)
trwillis99 calls (90)
Hero calls (90)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ T/images/graemlins/club.gif ] (t820)
trwillis99 checks.
Hero checks.
Rancher_FL checks.
** Dealing River ** : [ 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif ] (t820)
trwillis99 checks.
Hero checks.
Rancher_FL bets (1343)
Rancher_FL is all-In.
trwillis99 folds.
Hero...?

11-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Preflop is fine. You have to bet on this flop. Given that you didn't, I'd probably fire a bullet on the turn since no one has shown big interest. If I played it like you, I'd fold the river.

11-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Thoughts from a donkey:

Preflop OK

Bet the flop, fold to a raise

Bet the turn if you don't bet the flop

Fold the river, really fast.

Kristian
11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
So, in other words, I am trying too hard to be smart. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if the wa/wb concept does not apply to this hand, when should I consider it? With smaller blinds/deeper stacks? Different type of hands?

patrick dicaprio
11-03-2005, 09:30 PM
he probably reraises with AK preflop and AQ probably doesnt go all in on the river. when you check he probably puts you on a weak ace maybe weaker than his if he has A8 or something or he figures you will just give it up on the river. i probably grit my teeth and call, it just seems like this is likely a good bluffing spot for him. if he has Aq or something like KJ oh well. i wouldnt be surprised to see a med to high pair here either like JJ.

Pat

11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
lead this flop with a bet
the villan's small bet on the flop and his check on the turn
might mean he has a made hand (QT maybe)
the river is an auto fold to the allin
but defenitly lead that flop...it woulda made ur decisions on the turn and river a lot more easy

pineapple888
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, in other words, I am trying too hard to be smart. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if the wa/wb concept does not apply to this hand, when should I consider it? With smaller blinds/deeper stacks? Different type of hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

It applies, but you still want to be leading the action if possible. I would bet the flop.