PDA

View Full Version : Tips on writing a good CV/resume

partygirluk
11-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Most of the schools I am applying to prefer/require that I send them a copy of my resume. The schools will already have my basic information, and my post highschool academic records. What would be good info to include? When writing about my work experience, what should I emphasize?

I am not sure how to explain what I have done since graduating university. My initial intention was to take 1 year off in which to work, save up, and then travel, before doing post-grad. However, after a couple of months travel I got very seriously depressed, to the point of being admitted to hospital. Even after I was discharged, I was still very ill, and this took up the best part of a year. So in the year after leaving uni I have nothing to show for it, and now I playing online poker to get some together to travel. I don't think this sounds particularly good, and want to sugercoat it as effectively as possible.

I am planning to include something on my cv and/or application like

"After graduating, it was my intention to spend 1 year travelling, before resuming my academic career. After 2 months I fell very seriously ill for 10 months(further details and doctor's note available on request), and as such am using the 2005-06 academic year to pursue my travel interests. I am now fully recovered and able to cope with {insert university name}'s rigorous PhD program'

Thoughts?

11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Can you burp the alphabet?

InchoateHand
11-03-2005, 09:54 PM
It entirely depends on what discipline you are applying to. Seraching within the mammoth resources for your discipline should give a you more specific CV tips. I'm pretty good at knocking out an Anthropology CV, or editing someone's Comp. Lit. CV, but [censored] if I know what a Chemistry CV should look like.

partygirluk
11-03-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1 burp?

LittleOldLady
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Well, here's some of the advice I have given in 25 years of teaching resume and job letter writing.

Never say anything about your health (the only possible exception is mentioning "excellent health"). It's nobody's business and cannot legally be considered unless a health problem absoutely precludes you from fulfilling the obligations of the position sought even with reasonable accommodation.

It is not necessary to use a chronological format and account for your time. If those reviewing the cv are interested, they will ask, and you can answer them in the way you think best.

Use a format which focuses on your skills and accomplishments. Use headings like Technical Skills, Administrative Skills, etc., whatever headings are appropriate to show off what you are best at. The duties and accomplishments are more important than the job titles. Use active verbs and refer to concrete achievements. Things like "increased sales 35% in a year" or "supervised 10 employees" or "was promoted twice in six months" or "was responsible for all payroll functions" or whatever you did. The fact that the sales you were responsible for increasing were of burgers and fries need not be stressed. What did you actually DO and how well did you do it. that's what you need to talk about.

partygirluk
11-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your advice.

Given that I graduates in 2004, and the PhD program is going to start in 2006, won't they bet thinking "wtf did this guy do for 2 years". And if I don't include anything they are gonna think "he must just have been a lazy bastard for this time". No?

RacersEdge
11-03-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the schools I am applying to prefer/require that I send them a copy of my resume. The schools will already have my basic information, and my post highschool academic records. What would be good info to include? When writing about my work experience, what should I emphasize?

I am not sure how to explain what I have done since graduating university. My initial intention was to take 1 year off in which to work, save up, and then travel, before doing post-grad. However, after a couple of months travel I got very seriously depressed, to the point of being admitted to hospital. Even after I was discharged, I was still very ill, and this took up the best part of a year. So in the year after leaving uni I have nothing to show for it, and now I playing online poker to get some together to travel. I don't think this sounds particularly good, and want to sugercoat it as effectively as possible.

I am planning to include something on my cv and/or application like

"After graduating, it was my intention to spend 1 year travelling, before resuming my academic career. After 2 months I fell very seriously ill for 10 months(further details and doctor's note available on request), and as such am using the 2005-06 academic year to pursue my travel interests. I am now fully recovered and able to cope with {insert university name}'s rigorous PhD program'

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Way too much information on the getting sick part. Just say you traveled. Period.

MrMon
11-04-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1 burp?

[/ QUOTE ]

As stupid as this sounds, including something like this, although perhaps not this specific thing, is not a bad idea. People who read resumes know every trick in the book. After awhile, they all look the same. And they're going to be reading hundreds of these things. Find something that makes you stand out. Makes you memorable in a good way. If you've managed to win a WSOP bracelet or even get to a final table, put it in there. Community service projects, put it in there. Athletic experiences, yup. Give them a reason to remember you. Burping, probably not, unless you won the state fair with it.