PDA

View Full Version : A Tournament Travesty—The Number One Tournament Skill

Timer
06-16-2003, 02:02 PM
On Saturday the Commerce Club had a $250,000 guaranteed $300 limit hold’em tournament with rebuys at the first three levels-40 minute rounds. The tournament started at 3:30 PM. What time do you think it was completed? 7:00 AM the next morning. In my opinion this is a travesty. Who in their right mind can play poker for 16 hours straight, and still be in shape to play their best game when it counts the most—13 hours into the tournament.

As far as I’m concerned the number one tournament skill today is stamina. If you’re not prepared to play, and play well for 10, 12, 14, 16 hours or more, then you have no business entering in the first place. This fact alone eliminates me and many other players. Many of these players that will be eliminated have no idea this is the case. They don’t even consider the stamina factor, and for that reason alone they are dead money. I’m dead money because of this, and that’s why I don’t play tournaments.

20 years ago I could have gotten away with this, but not today. I don’t play that many hours when I do play. No wonder so many of the “young guns” are winning a lot of tournaments these days. Not only do they have the desire, but they also have tons of stamina. I’ve seen Huck Seed stay up all night instead of going to bed just so he could play in the next day’s tournament. There is no way on earth I could do that.

Eight hours a day is plenty for a tournament. When the event starts at 3:30 that’s a pretty late start as it is. I would be hard pressed to play if the event started at 9:00 AM, but that s exactly when it would have to start for me to even consider playing. I’ve wanted to play in several events this time around but the stamina factor put the kibosh on that idea.

It’s too bad tournaments are geared toward the younger high energy players. But that doesn’t mean all young players have lots of stamina, because they don’t. I’ve seen World Series events that started at 1:00 PM end at 7:30 the next morning.

If you don’t have the stamina to play long sessions, then when it gets down to the last one or two tables with all of the money on the line you are going to be very hard pressed to make a good showing. Sure, some adrenalin might kick in, but if you aren’t catching any cards it is very difficult to play your best game when you are tired. You don’t make the ante steals and other plays that are more obvious when you are rested, and it seems when you do decide to make a move every one else knows it or you pick a bad spot.

I haven’t played many tournaments over the years, and I’d kind of like to try a few here and there. But when I heard this tournament might go till six or seven in the morning I just went and found a seat in a ring game.

Not only must you play very well, but you must also have the stamina of an ox. Those that have this quality are winning tournaments.

snakehead
06-16-2003, 02:44 PM
you didn't say how old you are, but the winner of this tournament isn't exactly young. and a few others on the list are definitely over 40, one is over 50 and also won another event last week. maybe you should work on getting into better shape.

but to set the record straight, most tourneys don't last that long, this one just has a lot of entries and rebuys.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I've seen the Foxwoods NLHE go this long. Starts at 7:00 PM. I've seen it end around 3:30 AM

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Left a word out. Meant to say *almost* this long. I figure, once you've gone 9 hours, what's six more?

HDPM
06-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Better living through chemistry baby. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

No, I am not advocating that anybody do anything illegal or abuse their bodies. But I wouldn't be shocked if I heard some players doing supplements, all natural herbal or otherwise. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Timer
06-17-2003, 01:22 AM
>> you didn't say how old you are, but the winner of this tournament isn't exactly young. and a few others on the list are definitely over 40, one is over 50 and also won another event last week.<<

I'm no young chicken.

>>maybe you should work on getting into better shape.>>

I'm in excellent shape. You're right, however, age isn't necessarily a prerequisite. Some of the people that won events so far are capable of playing very long sessions in ring games as well.

I guess desire is the key. I have the desire, but not the stamina. I get bored and tired after a short period of time. I could stretch that out a bit if I had to, but not till 7:00 AM. 7:00 AM is when I'm usually getting up.

>>but to set the record straight, most tourneys don't last that long, this one just has a lot of entries and rebuys.>>

The first event lasted till about the same time. They know going in how long they are going to last. Why not start earlier or split them into two days. Play X number of hours on day one and finish on day two. Or, play to the money on day one and finish on day two. Either way, the players know going in how long the first day's play is going to last.