PDA

View Full Version : How to set a dislocated shoulder

splashpot
11-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I just dislocated my shoulder for the third time. Already had surgery on it once. What are some methods of setting my shoulder by myself in case this should happen again? I'd like to set it myself instead of going to the doctor every time. You see it in the movies all the time, but I'm pretty sure ramming my arm into a wall isn't the propper method.

SoSo
11-03-2005, 07:15 PM
normally if u dislocate the same joint more than twice it'll continue to dislocate for the rest of ur life. it should pop in and out with relative ease.

BreakfastBurrito
11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
I've dislocated mine 4 times, 1 surgery. Hold the elbow of your dislocated shoulder arm close to your midsection. Use your good arm to guide the hand on your bad arm to grasp a stable inanimate object directly in front of you. Once you have a hold, relax as best you can, keep your bad elbow tucked against your stomach, and slowly pull your bad hand away from your body until the shoulder relocates. Pretty much duplicate what the doctor did to you in the emergency room. Don't panic, don't pull too hard, relax, and you should be able to get it in within a minute or two.

cold_cash
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
This isn't how Martin Riggs does it.

splashpot
11-03-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This isn't how Martin Riggs does it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, he just rams his arm into a wall.

BreakfastBurrito
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, he just rams his arm into a wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could definitely try this as well. Let me know how it goes.

FouTight
11-03-2005, 07:58 PM
one time I was playing basketball and in a 2-3 defense, I was in the middle, some dude drove in for the basket and jumped up, I jumped and blocked his shot with my right hand, and someone undercut my legs and I fell backwards catching myself only with my left hand. My shoulder shot out and my whole arm went numb.

I freaked the hell out, made a fist with my right hand and pounded on the top of my left shoulder and it went back in. This really freaked out the other team, but I cuoldn't play for a while. Don't know if I would recommend this though.