PDA

View Full Version : River Action

Scotch78
11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Given the fact that I'm holding two tens and UTG is representing a jack, the SB is probably drawing on the flop. So odds are he doesn't have enough to overcall. Strictly speaking, UTG is more likely to have KQ than AJ, but I'm thinking this is still a raise-call situation.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero . . .

Scott

brettbrettr
11-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Raise.

peterchi
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking this is still a raise-call situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think so.

UTG will bet a ton of hands that you beat.
SB probably can't overcall either way.

ErrantNight
11-03-2005, 06:10 PM
some reads would be helpful.

a lot of people will play KQo this way, not AJo or ATo. The flop bet is poor on his part in that case, but people who are afraid to raise KQo will frequently feel totally comfortable betting their draw on the flop this way.

i'm almost tempted to go for the unlikely overcall here. i'm not sure what SB has, but they cold-called two streets with it already, so unless they're prone to cold-calling preflop with any two suited they look willing to go one more.

but i'm not. raise. and hope you don't get 3-bet.

PokerSparky
11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I raise the river here. I think you're looking at something like AJ, AT, or A/images/graemlins/heart.gif x/images/graemlins/heart.gif very often. I call a 3 bet, but I'm not liking my hand very much anymore.

ErrantNight
11-03-2005, 06:28 PM
that's where i'm at.... but doesn't KQo seem like a far more likely hand than AJ/AT?

Fishlips_Jones
11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
If you raise, SB folds unless he has you beat. When the SB folds (and utg calls), you win the same amount as if you call and SB calls. Most of the time SB will call here if you also call, unless he has a monster.
So CALL because you stand to win the same amount with less risk than if you raise.

Fishlips

Fishlips_Jones
11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
If you raise the river, and it's one bet back to you, do you call? What if it's two bets back to you, closing the action?

Fishlips

ErrantNight
11-03-2005, 07:03 PM
i'd make the crying call for one more, fold for two.

although i'm advocating it, i'm still not sure a river raise is best.