PDA

View Full Version : River theory...an extra BB?

arx
11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
After long time lurking, goal in November is to start posting hands frequently, so thanks in advance for any input.

There are situations when a check might earn you an extra bet on the river. Those hands where you are clearly ahead and there is a flush draw that does not get there or an overcard hits the river.

I was trying to find a good example and this is what I came up with. Villain is 40/11/2.21 after 400 hands, but his river agg is 6!!!

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, 1 fold</font>, Button calls, 1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)</font>
Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds.

River: (8.70 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Ok. So I put him on a busted (?) flush draw or even overcards, so I checked planning on check raising but then...I chickened, because of his river aggr.

Is this a good spot for the theory, ie, a river check to induce a bet and therefore an extra BB?

arx

jason_t
11-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Next time you do that, raise. You might like the results.

arx
11-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, that was the idea....but you know how we tighties are....

W. Deranged
11-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Why are you afraid of his river aggression? That just means he's more likely to three-bet you here and earn you more money.

You do make a good observation, which is that players with high river aggression are often raise-or-fold types who don't like to call the river. Value-betting against such players might not be the best idea, as they'll often fold, but check-raising is more likely to work because they'll almost instinctively bet when checked to.

But, dear god man, raise the river if you check!

jason_t
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, that was the idea....but you know how we tighties are....

[/ QUOTE ]

He might get suspicious and call with a busted A high /images/graemlins/club.gif draw. He might bluff 3-bet. He might 3-bet a worse hand.

krimson
11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
What hand are you afraid of here? Raise him. His AF of 6 on the river (although means next to nothing given your sample size) means you get even more bets in with your set!

arx
11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Value-betting against such players might not be the best idea, as they'll often fold, but check-raising is more likely to work because they'll almost instinctively bet when checked to

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the theory right then...that's a start.

Anyway, next time I will know better. Thanks for the replies.

soko
11-03-2005, 03:53 PM
What hand in the world of poker would he just call with on the turn that you dont beat on the river?

sean c
11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
I think i would like the check more to induce a bluff if the river was a brick instead of a king. I have no idea why you didn't raise the worst thing that could happen is he folds.

arx
11-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I know, I know. Hopefully learned my lesson.

Anyway, he showed A10 /images/graemlins/club.gif,MHIG...and I missed a BB.

flopmonster
11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What hand in the world of poker would he just call with on the turn that you dont beat on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q10 not saying he has it but thatd do it

brettbrettr
11-03-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd prob just bet the river, but I'd *never* miss a check-raise here.

krimson
11-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Also, I'd like this c/r (even though you forgot the raise part /images/graemlins/wink.gif better if the river was an Ace. I think it will induce the bluff more often.