PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is more common in PLO?

Phishy McFish
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
So you have "fishes" and "pros" and all of us that fall somewhere between or within. I am one who firmly believes that the majority of poker players (including myself) think they are better than they are.

But though at HE tables online you always see the sarcastic "NH" or "nice catch" "River" (OR my personal favorite "ONLY AT Site X"), at the PLO table I see soooo many players who always feel that their draws were legit to chase and others had no business staying to catch that card.

I feel more than I saw at HE tables.

Tilt
11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
If you mean people being angry at chasers, I think its more common at PLO, yes. Its much more of a drawing game, and inexperienced players can't seem to accept that. There are many more situations in which as many as three (sometimes even 4) people can end up all-in and have played the hand correctly given their assumptions about the other players. In HE that happens once in a blue moon.

11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Omaha = More cards = More draws = More comments

The phenomena you describe is a classic. We all remember the bad beats we take much more vividly than those that we give. (My favorite retort to that line is, "Since I only play good cards, I never give bad beats.")

We all remember the river card that counterfeits our top set, but forget those that made our hands.

I try to think back to my lucky suck-outs when I take a brutal beat. Sometimes it helps to prevent me from pissing money down the tilt drain.

I'm sure there are plenty of these type of posts over in the physchology forum.

Phishy McFish
11-03-2005, 04:04 PM
With so many draws, yes, it has to be more possible that often numerous players had correct pot/implied odds to "shove it in" or call others that did.

I think the first thing that made me feel "I get it now" in terms of my PLO play (and I'll never learn as much as I should) was when I realized that my AA hands were getting me killed from not seeing the flop texture (right term??) and how much trouble I could be in.

I realized as some have said....in PLO, the hand starts on the flop.

I actually have the hardest time with monster hands. Say I have top set AND I have the nut str8 or flush draw with it (extreme example). I have so much trouble counting on someone else to bet the hand for me, determining the right value bet, or pot it to possibly make it look like ONLY the draw is ther for me (my default I think as it works with my loose/aggresive play).

Already far off tangent....the end.

joewatch
11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually have the hardest time with monster hands. Say I have top set AND I have the nut str8 or flush draw with it (extreme example). I have so much trouble counting on someone else to bet the hand for me, determining the right value bet, or pot it to possibly make it look like ONLY the draw is ther for me (my default I think as it works with my loose/aggresive play).

[/ QUOTE ]

When you have the best possible hand and the best possible draw ... that's when the game is the most fun!

11-03-2005, 08:45 PM
flopping quad dueces in a raised-preflop family pot is usually the most fun.

joewatch
11-04-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are calling raises with deuces, you may have a problem... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jj_frap
11-04-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are calling raises with deuces, you may have a problem... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have even bigger problems:

I called Dans Macabre's push yesterday with top and 3rd pair plus a nut flush draw.

Anybody who's played with him would understand why this play is so fishy.

Tilt
11-04-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have even bigger problems:

I called Dans Macabre's push yesterday with top and 3rd pair plus a nut flush draw.

Anybody who's played with him would understand why this play is so fishy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats like burning money. He is a total nut peddlar.

LearnedfromTV
11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
I think one reason for this is that most people who play Omaha don't know what the hell they are doing.

11-04-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think one reason for this is that most people who play Omaha don't know what the hell they are doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps they learned from TV.