PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Million Steps, anyone winning these or have strategy?

11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
I have been playing the $5 through $20 SnG on Party for a while now, jut decided to give these a go today. I won my first step 1 and in the step 2 got 4th so got free entry back into a step 1.
Probably nothing new, but seeing how top 6 in step 1 get to keep retrying for free it would seem that early folding and late pushbotting is the correct play in these no? Then later on in steps 2-5 you could just make sure you last long enough to keep getting free shots at least at level 1. Eventually if you last long enough you'll get a lucky streak and make it into the late stages of a step 5 with a chance to win.

citanul
11-03-2005, 02:49 PM
the main secret to the step style tournaments, and particularly the qualifier steps, is to try to never be the guy in last place amongst still remaining players.

c

11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the main secret to the step style tournaments, and particularly the qualifier steps, is to try to never be the guy in last place amongst still remaining players.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

With is also called "winning."

11-03-2005, 03:03 PM
As I said though, you don't really have to win. In step 1 the winner moves on to the $50 buy-in step 2, but 2-5 place also get another free entry into step 1. Just keep retrying step 1, eventually you'll get into the top 5 with a decent stack and then all you need to do is win a couple coin flips to get heads up. From there you gotta play poker.

citanul
11-03-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I said though, you don't really have to win. In step 1 the winner moves on to the $50 buy-in step 2, but 2-5 place also get another free entry into step 1. Just keep retrying step 1, eventually you'll get into the top 5 with a decent stack and then all you need to do is win a couple coin flips to get heads up. From there you gotta play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was implied by my post. ignore the person who tried to condense my wisdom.

c

11-03-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know what you meant, it was how you said it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You basically said, "If there are 4, don't be last." Which makes 3 players, in which you are playing the strategy of "Don't finish last" so you're at 2 players and so forth. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just razzin' ya.

11-03-2005, 05:11 PM
I've won freerolls for a couple step 2 already, where for those who don't know the prize structure is as follows:
1-2 place move on to step 3
3-7 place get a free buy into a step 1
8th gets $10 (basically a free step 1, which costs $12)
9-10 get nothing.

What should my strategy be here? I'm thinking of three options,
1. Play straight up poker, following pot odds, semi bluff, etc.
2. Just fold until I'm assured 7th place, then starting playing like a maniac.
3. Just fold until 3-5 players are left then start pushbotting hoping to get enough chips to make top 2.

11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've won freerolls for a couple step 2 already, where for those who don't know the prize structure is as follows:
1-2 place move on to step 3
3-7 place get a free buy into a step 1
8th gets $10 (basically a free step 1, which costs $12)
9-10 get nothing.

What should my strategy be here? I'm thinking of three options,
1. Play straight up poker, following pot odds, semi bluff, etc.
2. Just fold until I'm assured 7th place, then starting playing like a maniac.
3. Just fold until 3-5 players are left then start pushbotting hoping to get enough chips to make top 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

These should be played just like damn near any other low level SNG (i.e. tighter than crap early, pushbot it late) but you should be willing to take more risks once you're in the prize finishes because you need to get into step 2.

Not haaaard to figure out.

11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

These should be played just like damn near any other low level SNG (i.e. tighter than crap early, pushbot it late) but you should be willing to take more risks once you're in the prize finishes because you need to get into step 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not hard to figure out (you misspelled hard by the way) how to play level 1. I've managed to work step 1 pretty well, my question pertained mostly to level 2.

mlagoo
11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
it probably makes sense to play a bit tighter early, or, if nothing else, try not to get involved with "trouble" hands (ie, play 44 instead of KJ).

once it gets down to 7 though, you should definitely start taking risks to accumulate, considering the next "pay jump" is at 2nd. just hanging around with intentions of pushbotting makes for a pretty small stack (one which cant handle any losses) by the time the blinds rise.

11-03-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it probably makes sense to play a bit tighter early, or, if nothing else, try not to get involved with "trouble" hands (ie, play 44 instead of KJ).

once it gets down to 7 though, you should definitely start taking risks to accumulate, considering the next "pay jump" is at 2nd. just hanging around with intentions of pushbotting makes for a pretty small stack (one which cant handle any losses) by the time the blinds rise.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a good strategy, one small thing is I'm wondering if maybe pushing after just two players get eliminated may be better. 3-7 is a step 1 buy in ($12) while 8th is $10 so not much difference, plus that small period of time may be 5-10 hands which could be enough time to make a difference. Thoughts on that?

A_Junglen
11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not hard to figure out (you misspelled hard by the way) how to play level 1. I've managed to work step 1 pretty well, my question pertained mostly to level 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol "you mispelled hard btw", for some reason that made me chuckle.

skipperbob
11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ignore the person who tried to condense my wisdom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeking to "condense" Citanul's wisdom would be a mistake similar to "underestimating his intelligence"..i.e.Not Possible /images/graemlins/smile.gif