PDA

View Full Version : Blind defense A9o

pokerjunky
11-03-2005, 01:03 PM
CO is 17/11/2, no read on SB

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
4 folds</font>, CO raises</font>, 1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets...

Final Pot: 4 BB

Redd
11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I think I'd play it the same way.

11-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Well the CO either has a monster, or absolutely nothing, so I like the turn bet.

11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I like the bet here. You are going to at least find out where you stand if anyone fires a raise back to you. If you get any action back I'd drop. What about you?

11-03-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the bet here. You are going to at least find out where you stand if anyone fires a raise back to you. If you get any action back I'd drop. What about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Insta-muck

UCLAseetoK
11-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Does anyone like a flop bet here?

W. Deranged
11-03-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I like a flop bet here is if I thought my hand was clearly the best hand going into the hand, since I didn't improve at all an I'm not folding better hands with a lowly flop bet.

If I thought that we true, I would have three-bet pre-flop.

Since I didn't three-bet pre-flop, I'm not betting the flop.

This logic is all [censored] up, fo' sure, but my point is simply that it really doesn't make sense to bet this flop with an unimproved hand that wasn't good enough to three-bet pre-flop. If we didn't have an equity edge pre-flop, we don't have one now, and just starting to try a drive bluff here will get expensive and the pot is really not that big.

The turn bet is good though.

UCLAseetoK
11-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Crap, I didn't see that CO raised preflop.

My bad. Ignore my above post that was probably already read before this one.

brettbrettr
11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way I like a flop bet here is if I thought my hand was clearly the best hand going into the hand, since I didn't improve at all an I'm not folding better hands with a lowly flop bet.

This logic is all [censored] up, fo' sure, but my point is simply that it really doesn't make sense to bet this flop with an unimproved hand that wasn't good enough to three-bet pre-flop. If we didn't have an equity edge pre-flop, we don't have one now, and just starting to try a drive bluff here will get expensive and the pot is really not that big.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I sort of disagree. Not completely, but I think there's a good chance we have the best hand pre-flop, and if sb folded I'd be more inclined to 3-bet. Again, I'm not bloating the pot OOP with what might be the best hand.

I sort of do like a flop bet here, and I sort of like it a lot because of the presence of the sb. If BB was playing a hand like 66 or AT, he now has an excuse to fold because:

1. The pot isn't all that big.
2. Because of the sb, he doesn't have to play "sheriff."

I make this bet fairly often and (I think) I have success with it. The point being that in a 3 way pot he can't call with a lot of hands that he would HU.

BigBrother
11-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Donking that flop will sometimes work out, but I think you end up spewing too much of the time. Just because SB checked the flop to the raiser doesn't mean he did not catch a piece of the flop. And sometimes CO will play back at you just for giggles.

Once the flop is checked through and SB checks the turn you are getting 3:1 to fire a bet. I like it. Fold to a raise, and re-evaluate at the river if just called.

brettbrettr
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Donking that flop will sometimes work out, but I think you end up spewing too much of the time. Just because SB checked the flop to the raiser doesn't mean he did not catch a piece of the flop. And sometimes CO will play back at you just for giggles.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a lot of cases, the presence of the sb prevents the CO from raising with a worse hand here. SB might c/r, sure. But they both might also fold, and you might win this pot with the non-best hand. That is good poker.

(Yes, I'd rather have more of a read to justify betting this flop. I'd just like to say that it is an option.)

W. Deranged
11-03-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I sort of disagree. Not completely, but I think there's a good chance we have the best hand pre-flop, and if sb folded I'd be more inclined to 3-bet. Again, I'm not bloating the pot OOP with what might be the best hand.

I sort of do like a flop bet here, and I sort of like it a lot because of the presence of the sb. If BB was playing a hand like 66 or AT, he now has an excuse to fold because:

1. The pot isn't all that big.
2. Because of the sb, he doesn't have to play "sheriff."

I make this bet fairly often and (I think) I have success with it. The point being that in a 3 way pot he can't call with a lot of hands that he would HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really interesting idea, Brett. Great post.

(For others: Brett mentioned that this concept is one that is applied by expert players in NL tournaments.)

ErrantNight
11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
if called is this the last bet you put in? this pot seems pretty small...

brettbrettr
11-03-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if called is this the last bet you put in? this pot seems pretty small...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most of the time, if called I'm done with it u/i. If called in two spots, I'm obv done.

TorpedoBreath
11-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Seems like some good discussion going on post flop here, but has anyone considered folding A9 preflop in this situation to be a strong candidate?