PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear Jeb Bush's comments about God?

bocablkr
11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Just getting back to normal after Hurricane Wilma. It really hit us hard down here. The weather after the storm was beautiful - cool and dry. I heard Jeb Bush on the radio saying something to the effect that "let's thank god for giving us such wonderful weather that makes cleaning up after the hurricane easier and lessens the suffering for those without air conditioning".

I ask anyone who believes in god to explain this to me. If god can control the weather after a hurricane, why can't he control it during the hurricane (as in preventing it, etc)? How can any rational person explain this line of thinking?
It is like me hitting you in the face with a crowbar and then you thanking me for handing you a tissue to wipe up the blood.

NotReady
11-03-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It is like me hitting you in the face with a crowbar and then you thanking me for handing you a tissue to wipe up the blood.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like you acknowledging your parent is correct for disciplining you and then thanking him for providing all your needs.

andyfox
11-03-2005, 12:44 PM
He's a rational politician.

bocablkr
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more like you acknowledging your parent is correct for disciplining you and then thanking him for providing all your needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disciplining South Florida for what? Providing for us how? I guess since I am an Atheist, I can understand why I had $30,000 in damage but what about all the believers down here?

Autocratic
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's ease up on the analogy wars, guys, they're the sign of small minds.

Seriously, though, Satan controls hurricanes, so Jeb was right on target.

bocablkr
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's ease up on the analogy wars, guys, they're the sign of small minds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auto, if you seriously believe what you wrote, then does that mean Satan is more powerful than god or was he just not paying attention until after the fact? Why didn't Satan control the weather after the storm? I just don't understand how you can seriously believe this???

11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.bodineunlimitedtours.com/pictures/Sabres23.jpg

Stop blaming this guy for all the world's problems.

Lestat
11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
<font color="blue"> Disciplining South Florida for what? </font>

Are you kidding? All the greed and gambling that goes on down there! The old people with their bingo and fights for seating to get in on the early bird specials. Heathens I tell you!

NotReady
11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Disciplining South Florida for what?

[/ QUOTE ]

All human difficulty is a result of the fall.

[ QUOTE ]

Providing for us how?

[/ QUOTE ]

"What do you have that you did not receive?"

bocablkr
11-03-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Providing for us how?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am going to puke.

11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Providing for us how?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

JLOLOLAJEFIOADSLOLOLOLOL. Yeah, makes me want to puke, too. I guess my aunt that miscarried a few babies is a result of the fall. I guess my mother stealing my identity and racking up a few thousand dollars, and Bank of America denying my credit card fraud claim on a technicality (I gave my mother a chance to pay it off [she didn't] before I went to BofA) and my suffering since then is a result of the fall. And of course, hurricanes tornadoes and fat bitches falling on little children are a result of the fall.

hmkpoker
11-03-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good disciplining should involve a reaction to a particular action that the parent (in this analogy) wants to correct. In essence, "the punishment should fit the crime."

What did the people in Florida do that deserved this beating? I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

This is an excellent example of Christian stupidity. There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith. To quote a bumper sticker, "S.hit Happens."

NotReady
11-03-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that.

[ QUOTE ]

There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that.

evil_twin
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aytumious
11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

theweatherman
11-03-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I thought this was about Jeb Bush's comments and not God's actions. Even if God were gently rebuking his wayward sons by smashing them with a hurricane, how dare Jeb Bush insult everone who was hurt by making such an asinine statement.

11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Uh, k. Jeb is an idiot for not understanding the implications that this statement would have, but hey, it runs in the family.

Whoever said that Florida deserved this is a [censored] tool... I have tens of thousands of NOLA evacuees in my city, how bout you come down here and tell them that.

This is one huge reason I got fed up with christianity, God is the perfect scapegoat: You can blame him for all the good things, but as soon as something bad happens, nope, thats satan.

what a [censored] crock.

Snoogins47
11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good disciplining should involve a reaction to a particular action that the parent (in this analogy) wants to correct. In essence, "the punishment should fit the crime."

What did the people in Florida do that deserved this beating? I don't believe that each person who had his property damaged was guilty of something that deserved it, and that everyone else in the world who DIDN'T have their home destroyed is NOT guilty of it.

This is an excellent example of Christian stupidity. There is no Biblical support to suggest that God was doing this to punish the wicked, wicked people of south Florida, and that his magic, happy rainbow weather was a covenant of good faith. To quote a bumper sticker, "S.hit Happens."

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact that I'm probably closer to falling on your side of this 'debate,' I feel the need to at least mention that under the assumption that the Christian God does exist in the way most Christians seem to believe, the chances of him acting "Logical" by our standards is probably pretty slim. (This post comes with the caveat that my reply is not directly to the quoted post, since I agree with the general message the quoted post is conveying, about people jumping to conclusions and arbitrarily designing explanations for events they witness... this isn't a uniquely Christian phenomenon.) To display my small mindedness, an analogy is in store: it'd be like a group of Ducks trying to understand our behavior.

"Quack quack! quack quack quack, quack quack quack!" they say!
"Quack I can't quack believe quack that he quack waddled directly past a chunk of bread without quack eating it!"
"Quack I think I'm going to continue to quack walk around instead of quack flying"

I think I've lost my point here, but to wrap it up with a response to the original poster: The only Christians I've heard that seem to have a brain capable of rational thought, all admit to healthy doses of Christian stupidity, hyopcrisy, etc. And for any of us that don't follow the faith, the stupidity displayed by a good chunk of (before I have a handful of people diving down my throat, I did not say 'all,' nor am I implying that following the faith necessarily leads to stupidity) Christians is apparent anyway. Is one example of stupidity, on the part of a Christian, in regards to anything, really noteworthy anymore? It's been like 2000 years now. But then again, I've only been playing poker for 2 years, and I already find it funny when people tell stories about LAGs, downswings, beats, etc. as if the people they're talking to should be SHOCKED AND AWED... and yet I'm guilty of telling the same stories too. Quack.

hmkpoker
11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Then please explain what you meant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This analogy suggests the following:

Child : South Florida resident
Parent : God
Something bad that the child did that deserved discipline : Something bad that the South Florida resident did that deserved discipline
Punishment : Wilma

So God punished a whole bunch of people with a big hurricane. Did they ALL deserve it?

If yes, then we are to believe that everyone who got hit with Wilma, and everyone ALONE who got hit with Wilma, did something particularly bad that deserved God's wrath.

If no, then this was either a random, horrible tragedy. In this case, an analogy should be drawn to an alcoholic parent who beats his children for no reason.

NotReady
11-03-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Something bad that the South Florida resident did that deserved discipline

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say this. I said "all have sinned". That's everybody. I'm not saying Wilma was a punishment for specific sins by Florida residents. I'm saying that mankind is guilty and that's why we have suffering and death. No one deserves to live. All deserve death.

Yet God is gracious and exercises patience and gives good gifts to all. Not because we deserve good gifts. Because God is gracious.

11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No one deserves to live. All deserve death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

Aytumious
11-03-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are all filthy sinners who deserved to be spanked.

Dominic
11-03-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my fuking god. (And by god, I mean nothing - as there is no god.)

So you're equating a parent discplining his child with the devastation the hurricane brought? Interesting. So God was punishing those in Florida? Is that really your take on things? Sure you don't want to rethink that post?

Dominic
11-03-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't. It makes no sense.

God has brought us all into being, so it is by his mercy he keeps us around. Like for his amusemtnt: "Let's see what they do when I raise the sea level 10 feeet....huh, cool."

So just be lucky he hasn't glanced in your direction for awhile.

Aytumious
11-03-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't. It makes no sense.

God has brought us all into being, so it is by his mercy he keeps us around. Like for his amusemtnt: "Let's see what they do when I raise the sea level 10 feeet....huh, cool."

So just be lucky he hasn't glanced in your direction for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to understand that NotReady should have been born about a thousand years ago.

hmkpoker
11-03-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Something bad that the South Florida resident did that deserved discipline

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say this. I said "all have sinned". That's everybody. I'm not saying Wilma was a punishment for specific sins by Florida residents. I'm saying that mankind is guilty and that's why we have suffering and death. No one deserves to live. All deserve death.

Yet God is gracious and exercises patience and gives good gifts to all. Not because we deserve good gifts. Because God is gracious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I'm a mad scientist. I stitch together a few weird animals the size of hampsters out of dead body parts, then bring them to life.

Then I play a game with my little hampster-zombies.

In front of the hampster-zombie is a 6,000 lb weight. Underneath the weight is the mathematics behind the theory of relativity. The hampster-zombie, weighing in at 3 lbs and with an IQ of 35, has one day to lift the 3 ton weight and disprove the theory of relativity.

If he fails to do so, I will throw him in a torture pit where he will be injected with drugs that simultaneously keep him alive and amplify his sense of pain and terror, and periodically slash at him with burning hot razor-wire covered in sulfuric acid.

Does the hampster-zombie deserve this?

KeysrSoze
11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Yeah, yeah, we all know. NotReady's God is a perfect being who we have no right, reason, or capacity to judge, in his thinking. Others think his God is a mean vindictive egomaniac bullying those whose crime is being lesser than he is. His version makes you puke, understandable. Still I think there's too much focus on the lunatic fringe and too many of you let the equally ridiculous but more user-friendly PC views slide. JMO.

KeysrSoze
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Does the hampster-zombie deserve this?

[/ QUOTE ]

He definitely deserves it, unless he accepts hampster-zombie-Jesus as his personal savior!
(sorry, couldn't resist)

NotReady
11-03-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Romans 3:

9What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin;
10as it is written,
"THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;

Romans 5:
12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

hmkpoker
11-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Ah, a savior, eh? hmmmm...well, I guess I could just not throw the hampster-zombies in the torture pit...eh....I'll do something about it in about 4,000 years. I'm a busy man.

Ooooh, new episode of South Park!

evil_twin
11-03-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Romans 3: blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he said explain, not spout dogma.

KeysrSoze
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Romans 5:
12Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

[/ QUOTE ]

NR, there's something I've been wondering which your verse reminded me of. God banished Adam and Eve after they ate from the Tree of Knowledge "becoming as one of us, knowing good and evil", concerned they would eat from the Tree of Life and live forever. So if death came to the world because they ate of the Tree of Knowledge, does that mean they were immortal before that? Did eating the fruit strip them of their eternal life, or was it God's curse? And why was there a Tree of Life or a restriction from eating of it if they were already deathless before original sin? And what would be wrong with them eating the Tree of Life fruit anyway? It would save a few thousand years of waiting for a blood sacrifice and all that messy business. Didn't want the competition?

NotReady
11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So if death came to the world because they ate of the Tree of Knowledge, does that mean they were immortal before that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether they were or not the general concensus among orthodox theologians is they would have become immortal and righteous if they had passed the test.

[ QUOTE ]

And why was there a Tree of Life or a restriction from eating of it if they were already deathless before original sin? And what would be wrong with them eating the Tree of Life fruit anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was no restriction on the Tree of Life as far as I know. But theologians think if they had eaten of it after sinning they would have become fixed in their sin nature. It would not have solved the need for Christ's sacrifice because they would still be guilty. No one knows for sure about the Tree of Life, so this is just speculation.

bocablkr
11-04-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, yeah, we all know. NotReady's God is a perfect being who we have no right, reason, or capacity to judge, in his thinking. Others think his God is a mean vindictive egomaniac bullying those whose crime is being lesser than he is. His version makes you puke, understandable. Still I think there's too much focus on the lunatic fringe and too many of you let the equally ridiculous but more user-friendly PC views slide. JMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What views are you referring to?