PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a Dell Inspiron?

11-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm considering buying this, never bought a laptop before so i'm looking to see if this is a decent deal. Looking to be able to multitable without overlap. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 6000D Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725 (1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display 15.4 inch UltraSharp WUXGA LCD Panel
Memory 512MB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
Video Card ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemory™
Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Word, Excel, and Outlook email

Subtotal $1281.00

SomethingClever
11-03-2005, 02:49 PM
The tables are going to be tiny with a 15 inch screen and that resolution.

Consider a 9300... 17 inch screen with WUXGA

joyride
11-03-2005, 04:50 PM
If you're using a Linsys wireless router, I'd suggest upgrading the wireless card from the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 to something else.

I received my 6000 about a week ago, and the connection kept dropping for no reason. Come to find out that there are compatability issues between that card and certain linksys routers.

As for the screen being big enough, the 15.4" works just fine for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're using a Linsys wireless router, I'd suggest upgrading the wireless card from the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 to something else.

I received my 6000 about a week ago, and the connection kept dropping for no reason. Come to find out that there are compatability issues between that card and certain linksys routers.

As for the screen being big enough, the 15.4" works just fine for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, I have had similar problems. Which Linksys routers does it not work with and what routers does it work with?

astroglide
11-03-2005, 06:21 PM
i haven't heard of a specific issue, but it's worth noting that the intel 2200 is no doubt the most ubquitous b/g minipci card on the market and that linksys is the most popular brand of wireless access point. an overt and widespread incompatility would sort of be like ford having an incompatibility with human drivers of automobiles.

if you're having problems with wireless, you're not alone. the 2.4ghz spectrum includes (among other things) cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other peoples' wireless connections. interference is a massive problem with it in general. as discussed in other threads, i use 5ghz wireless in my condo because i am unable to keep a reliable b/g signal because of interference.

JMP300z
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] just got off w/ deell for the same problem

Edit: they said nothing about compatibility....some other thing about software conflicting.

joyride
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Of course they're not going to tell you that they've effed up. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had an old Netgear card lying around, popped it in and disabled the internal card, and I haven't had a dropped connection since. I've heard that Dell will replace that 2200, but haven't had any experience in whether that's the truth.

It blows that I paid for the internal card, but whatchya gonna do?

astroglide
11-04-2005, 05:07 PM
i've seen huge differences in stability when switching to windows-controlled wireless and proset-controlled wireless. proset is intel's software.

i have an intel 2915 (which is a 2200 with 802.11A support) and i don't use proset.

JMP300z
11-06-2005, 01:00 AM
i just switched to intels from windows based on Dells tech support help....its seemed to have fixed it.

-JP