PDA

View Full Version : Hand protection confusion

Asim
11-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

theres the problem, on the flop, i have top pair, but there is a flush draw... my bet would put 7 SB in the pot, giving UTG odds to call the flush, and SB even better odds if UTG calls. The players were passive enough, that I could almost garauntee it would have been checked through and they would have received a free card. I didnt wanna do that, but I also wanted to protect my top pair, which was not only vulnerable to the flush, but OC's as well. How do you guys go about protecting this hand?

turns out these guys were total fish, but at this point, I was not aware of that.

I am guessing i played it right, just bet and hope no /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes

11-03-2005, 08:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing i played it right, just bet and hope no /images/graemlins/diamond.gif comes

[/ QUOTE ]

Correctamundo. I'd be more scared of the ace though. Bet the river also.

Aaron_
11-03-2005, 08:45 AM
There is rarely a situation where you can protect against a flush. Betting and getting called is the less profitable alternative.

Fantam
11-03-2005, 08:48 AM
You had to bet the flop, as your top pair was vulnerable to overcards as you suggested. Also not betting the flop would have been giving infinite odds to any drawing hands, such as the flush or a straight draw.

I also like your turn bet (as a semi-bluff) when you pick up the nut flush draw to go with your pair.

I think that I would bet the river though, when you were checked to. You could still collect bets from weaker hands, and would have to call a bet from UTG incase your check had induced a bluff. So checking the river would not have saved you a bet if you were behind.

11-03-2005, 08:53 AM
*grunch*

Pre-flop: I am hestitant to raise KTs from the BB but I will default to the 6-max experts.

Flop: I think your bet is good. You have TPTK but it is vulnerable. I know you are concerned about giving them better odds but you cannot check because they can get it for free and you obviously can't fold. Since there was no other pre-flop raiser, betting is the only way to protect your hand.

Turn: Bet with the Nut Flush Draw is gOOt.

River: I think the check is ok (flame away!). The J is a little scary because KQ makes a str8 or even Ax or Jx beats us.

I would play it the same!

11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
*grunch*

You're not going to price out the flush draws. they'll see the river. If the flush hits it hits.

you're betting on the flop to try to get rid of hands like KQ, A3, etc. It's worth the one bet to narrow the field. That it didn't in this instance does not make betting out the wrong play. You have the best of it, so bet.

sean c
11-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I think you played this hand really well. I like the turn bet a bunch. As far as the river goes i would bet if i could fold to a raise and check if the villians in this hand were tricky enough that i felt like i needed to show my hand down. I think putting two bets in on the river is chip spray.

@bsolute_luck
11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
nh. good discipline on the river.

lufbradolly
11-03-2005, 11:01 AM
You bet as you should have and that protects your hand from draws with few outs.

This is a situation were you can't protect from flush draws though but if you don't bet then your letting them draw for free which is terrible.

You have TPGK your obviously gonna be making off the hand but so are the flush draws its the guys calling when they shouldn't be who are making you that money.

I'm sure that someone can explain this better than me.

lautzutao
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
bet the river?

@bsolute_luck
11-03-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bet the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll have to explain why because i don't see much value in it.