PDA

View Full Version : To call down or not with weak top pair hand?

Skuzzy
11-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Got a free play here in the blind. Villain is 50/2/0.6 so a big time calling station. I felt like I was protectiing my weak hand with a flop bet here, but the turn card slowed me up and I went into call down mode. Is this standard?

NB: I play limit as a distraction when I run bad in NL so my knowledge is less than most micro posters. I posted the 3/6 hand here because the question seems too basic for SS, is that reasonable?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (2.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Ks 6c (two pair, kings and queens).
MP2 has Jc As (straight, ace high).
Outcome: MP2 wins 6.16 BB. </font>

Aaron_
11-03-2005, 05:23 AM
Why did the Q scare you on the turn? Keep swinging until he raises.

11-03-2005, 05:41 AM
*grunch*

preface: I did not look at the results. I recommend not posting them as they can skew the replies.

I think you need to raise the turn. The hand plays differently if you do. If he 3-bets he is probably sitting on a monster and since the pot is so small you can dump or see one more bet to see what happens on the river. If he calls you might even get a free card on the river.

Aaron_
11-03-2005, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

preface: I did not look at the results. I recommend not posting them as they can skew the replies.

I think you need to raise the turn. The hand plays differently if you do. If he 3-bets he is probably sitting on a monster and since the pot is so small you can dump or see one more bet to see what happens on the river. If he calls you might even get a free card on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you bet out on the turn?

11-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Bet the turn, fold to a raise given your read. Why wouldn't you bet the turn for value against a calling station? You have top pair.

11-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Bet turn- fold to a raise.

11-03-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you bet out on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Sorry, I meant to say bet. I didn't mean raise as in to check/raise