PDA

View Full Version : OJ Simpson

tonypaladino
11-03-2005, 05:05 AM
I just saw a wierd DS thread in SMP that got me thinking about this.

Is there anyone who actually and honestly believes that the Juice didn't kill those people?

If so, why?

Jack of Arcades
11-03-2005, 05:09 AM
Black people.

No, seriously, most people I know that think OJ didn't do are black.

newhizzle
11-03-2005, 05:27 AM
i made 5 bucks off the virdict back in the day

youtalkfunny
11-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Vincent Bugliosi writes in his book, Outrage, that anyone who thinks there's a chance that he didn't do it is either unaware of all the evidence that points to him; or is lying.

I'm the only guy in America who didn't follow the trial at the time (the media frenzy disgusted me, and I tried to remain above it). I thought maybe he didn't do it. Then I looked into it, and saw the mountain of evidence.

I highly recommend Bugliosi's book (he's the prosecutor who put Manson away, even though Manson was nowhere near the crimes). Especially for anyone who thinks that maybe OJ didn't do it.

Notorious G.O.B.
11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
There an article a while ago, on Salon I think, in which some legal expert suggested that OJ's son was the real killer. I don't really remember what his argument was, though.

SackUp
11-06-2005, 08:33 PM
why is this even still a topic of discussion?

I guess people still discuss who killed JFK, but honestly - who cares at this point?

HopeydaFish
11-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I was sitting in a first year class in University when the verdict was announced. I had to leave the class when people started CHEERING when they heard the verdict. It was so disgusting. Cheering because the guy got away with brutally murdering two people....bunch of idiots.

11-06-2005, 09:16 PM
On a lighter note, I have to share this OJ related story....

1.5 years ago, a couple of good friends of mine go to vegas, for the week. They went to rent a car, walk into the place, and balloons streamers, loud music, clowns etc etc, all come out of nowhere. The store manager told them they just won a viper or some car like that for being the millionth customer etc. My friends go nuts, get all excited....Then OJ runs out of the back room, and screams YOUVE BEEN JUICED!!!!. Turns out he was going to come out with a prank-show and they were the recipients of the prank. Must have been surreal.

IronDragon1
11-06-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My friends go nuts, get all excited....Then OJ runs out of the back room.... Must have been frightening as all hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: For brevity

DrunkIrish05
11-06-2005, 10:31 PM
There was a guy in my local p**** room the other night wearing a throwback USC OJ Simpson jersey. I thought it was pretty noteworthy, not sure how i felt about it.

JihadOnTheRiver
11-06-2005, 10:56 PM
I went to high school in the ghetto. I was the only white kid in my English class when we were all watching the verdict being read. Of course everybody cheered and I was stunned and disappointed to say the least. We had weeks of discussions about it wherein I was the only one that felt the way that I did.

My class took the position that the only reason that he was even put up on charges is because he's black. I took the stance that one of the main reasons that he got off was in fact BECAUSE he was black. For this I was essentially branded a racist and spent a lot of time trying to talk my way out of some hairy conversations.

I still feel like that day and the following weeks had a drastic affect on my view of the world. Although I do now realize that they were all just impressionable teenagers being strung around by an incredibly righteous teacher, but it was still shocking. On another note, my school was one of the main players in the old California Prop 187 walkouts if anyone remembers that, so I was obviously surrounded by idiots.

I don't think anybody can reasonably say that he's innocent unless they are very brainwashed and using that historical case as a crux for some warped global belief they have.

-Jihad

Jorge10
11-06-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was sitting in a first year class in University when the verdict was announced. I had to leave the class when people started CHEERING when they heard the verdict. It was so disgusting. Cheering because the guy got away with brutally murdering two people....bunch of idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most legal experts(in books) and college professors who addressed this in classes(such as Philosophy) agreed that the prosecution did one of the worst jobs in history when presenting the case. A lot of people dont realize that most of the jurors did not see the mountain of evidence everyone else saw and thats why they assume that he really had a dream team of lawyers and that the jurors were morons.

Also yes he obviously did it and because he got away now every black guy that goes to court goes to court guilty until he proves he is innocent instead of going in innocent with the prosecution having to prove he is guilty like it should be.

Its sad how black people where cheering and celebrating the fact that they were going to get screwed for many years to come in court. They were really celebrating something that was truly horrible for them.

ddss6_99
11-06-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i made 5 bucks off the virdict back in the day

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I made $20 off a friend when Michael Jackson walked.

TheNoodleMan
11-06-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also yes he obviously did it and because he got away now every black guy that goes to court goes to court guilty until he proves he is innocent instead of going in innocent with the prosecution having to prove he is guilty like it should be.

Its sad how black people where cheering and celebrating the fact that they were going to get screwed for many years to come in court. They were really celebrating something that was truly horrible for them.

[/ QUOTE ]
You make it sound like Black people were getting real great treatment in the justice system before OJ. It not like evrything was cool between the races and then the OJ case came along.

imported_anacardo
11-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I'unno. My grandparents use the Simpson trial as Exhibit I-A of Why The Coloreds Ain't No Good. Even my grandmother, who is not otherwise insane, and wasn't even particularly racist beforehand. Weird deal.

DrunkIrish05
11-07-2005, 12:07 AM
my grandpa did this exact same thing, as a young kid I was shocked at his blatant racism in this situation. It was like the trial brought out ideas that were in his head from decades ago

Reef
11-07-2005, 12:14 AM
funny shirt I saw:

drink apple juice,
OJ will you kill you

Jorge10
11-07-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You make it sound like Black people were getting real great treatment in the justice system before OJ. It not like evrything was cool between the races and then the OJ case came along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it wasnt, but it sure made things a lot more difficult.

An example would be Kobe, maybe before the OJ trial public opinion would have sided with him, but since OJ got away well he was torn to shreds by public opinion before the trial.

Im not saying it was perfect before, but now white people cant stop thinking about the one that got away.

highlife
11-07-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just saw a wierd DS thread in SMP that got me thinking about this.

Is there anyone who actually and honestly believes that the Juice didn't kill those people?

If so, why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its the same people who believe Barry Bonds and Terrell Owens are good sportsmen.

youtalkfunny
11-07-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There an article a while ago, on Salon I think, in which some legal expert suggested that OJ's son was the real killer. I don't really remember what his argument was, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2+2'er friend of mine mentioned this one, so I tracked it down. It's hogwash. The author ignores a whole lot of evidence--most notably the cut on OJ's hand, and the footprints at the crime scene were OJ's shoes. The author suggests that OJ and the son were present at the time, but all the evidence says one person walked away.

youtalkfunny
11-07-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most legal experts...agreed that the prosecution did one of the worst jobs in history when presenting the case. A lot of people dont realize that most of the jurors did not see the mountain of evidence everyone else saw...

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite part of Bugliosi's book: his lamenting that the prosecution never mentioned the interview OJ had with detectives the day after the murders. The former prosecutor wrote, "Give me a yellow pad and 100 hours, and I could've got a conviction based this (evidence) alone."

The main gist of the book was the utter incompetence of the DA's office in this case. The section on Ito's incomprehensible rulings was great, too.

I think I've got to find a copy of this book, and read it again. It's really good.

11-07-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My class took the position that the only reason that he was even put up on charges is because he's black. I took the stance that one of the main reasons that he got off was in fact BECAUSE he was black.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the issue was more about him being famous. If he was a black bus driver he would be in prison right now.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 05:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess people still discuss who killed JFK, but honestly - who cares at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people write off the OJ trial as pop culture trivia, but IMO when viwed in connection with Rodney King and the LA Riots, it is the most significant black/white race issue of my lifetime . It might actually be even more significant than the riots themselves.

First off, it is obvious that he did it. Even if you are one of the few people who thinks that he didn't do it, it doesn't really matter because the significance of the OJ trial is that the vast majority think that he got away with murder. Further, they feel that his defense was sucessful primarily because he was black. The true significance of the OJ trial has little to do with evidence at this point.

The reason that the OJ trial is so infrequently discussed is that it is a very uncomfortable topic of discussion in mixed racial company or among casual aqunatances. Most white people are afraid to say anything negative about some one black because being a "racist" is one of the most ignoble labels there is if you are white.

The OJ trial is the most extreme afirmative act, and many white people resent affrimative action. They resent that black people are allowed to use racial slurs, they are allowed to get into college with lower qualificaions, they get preferential treatment from government employers. Where does the special treatment stop? OJ showed that affirmitive action can even get you a free pass on murder.

The organized and televised post verdict celebrations by some black people showed that they embraced the victory of affirmative action over justice.

I personally will never forget the sequence of events following the announcement of the verdict. It went OJ in the courtroom, Goldmans crying, group of white people in LA looking pissed, black people outside the court house jumping up and down, and an auditorium of students at Howard University going nuts like they just won the National Championship.

That auditorium of students at Howard still pisses me off. They are supposed to be the educated leaders in the black community and they were celebrating because OJ got away with murder. Was setting a murderer free really a good solution for Mark Furman's racism?

I think that your attitude about the OJ trail is most likely a result of your age. If you ask many people in their late twenties/early thirties about OJ in mixed racial company you will get a very uncomfortable reactions and I doubt that anyone will commit strongly to a postition. This isn't because no one cares, it is because it has become socially unacceptable to take a stand against special treatment for minorities.

To answer your question: the OJ trial was the pinacle of institutionalized affrimative action. A signaficant amount of hostility that white people have towards black people is a result of resentment over affirmative action. Hence the significance of the OJ trial.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My class took the position that the only reason that he was even put up on charges is because he's black. I took the stance that one of the main reasons that he got off was in fact BECAUSE he was black. For this I was essentially branded a racist and spent a lot of time trying to talk my way out of some hairy conversations.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I still feel like that day and the following weeks had a drastic affect on my view of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way.

Good post by the way, I think that I am about to get called a racist too.

smoore
11-07-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My class took the position that the only reason that he was even put up on charges is because he's black. I took the stance that one of the main reasons that he got off was in fact BECAUSE he was black.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the issue was more about him being famous. If he was a black bus driver he would be in prison right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Famous black guy, his white whore and some LBC waiter.

The whore and the waiter don't matter, only fame does. The real question is, "Did they deserve it?"

People get killed all the time, I'm disgusted that some murders are more important than others (barring political assasination, etc.). Why are those two more important than the person that's getting killed right down the street from someone reading this RIGHT NOW?

[censored] that case, a complete waste of time.

MCS
11-07-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Rock made this exact observation about fame/bus-driving (with slightly different words) in Bring the Pain.

Don't be a biter. Give credit where it's due.

MCS
11-07-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that I am about to get called a racist too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think that?

I never worry about being called a racist. Maybe if you DO worry about it, then you should do some careful examination of your beliefs/ideas to see why this would be a concern of yours. Not saying I think you're a closet KKK member or anything, but maybe subconsciously you're uncomfortable with something in your head, or maybe you have some instinct that you're not 100% okay with.

Just something to consider.

11-07-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people write off the OJ trial as pop culture trivia, but IMO when viwed in connection with Rodney King and the LA Riots, it is the most significant black/white race issue of my lifetime . It might actually be even more significant than the riots themselves.

First off, it is obvious that he did it. Even if you are one of the few people who thinks that he didn't do it, it doesn't really matter because the significance of the OJ trial is that the vast majority think that he got away with murder. Further, they feel that his defense was sucessful primarily because he was black. The true significance of the OJ trial has little to do with evidence at this point.

The reason that the OJ trial is so infrequently discussed is that it is a very uncomfortable topic of discussion in mixed racial company or among casual aqunatances. Most white people are afraid to say anything negative about some one black because being a "racist" is one of the most ignoble labels there is if you are white.

The OJ trial is the most extreme afirmative act, and many white people resent affrimative action. They resent that black people are allowed to use racial slurs, they are allowed to get into college with lower qualificaions, they get preferential treatment from government employers. Where does the special treatment stop? OJ showed that affirmitive action can even get you a free pass on murder.

The organized and televised post verdict celebrations by some black people showed that they embraced the victory of affirmative action over justice.

I personally will never forget the sequence of events following the announcement of the verdict. It went OJ in the courtroom, Goldmans crying, group of white people in LA looking pissed, black people outside the court house jumping up and down, and an auditorium of students at Howard University going nuts like they just won the National Championship.

That auditorium of students at Howard still pisses me off. They are supposed to be the educated leaders in the black community and they were celebrating because OJ got away with murder. Was setting a murderer free really a good solution for Mark Furman's racism?

I think that your attitude about the OJ trail is most likely a result of your age. If you ask many people in their late twenties/early thirties about OJ in mixed racial company you will get a very uncomfortable reactions and I doubt that anyone will commit strongly to a postition. This isn't because no one cares, it is because it has become socially unacceptable to take a stand against special treatment for minorities.

To answer your question: the OJ trial was the pinacle of institutionalized affrimative action. A signaficant amount of hostility that white people have towards black people is a result of resentment over affirmative action. Hence the significance of the OJ trial.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never worry about being called a racist. Maybe if you DO worry about it, then you should do some careful examination of your beliefs/ideas to see why this would be a concern of yours. Not saying I think you're a closet KKK member or anything, but maybe subconsciously you're uncomfortable with something in your head, or maybe you have some instinct that you're not 100% okay with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that comment in reference to my long post blasting affirmative action and the televised reactions of some black people to the verdict.

Don't you agree that white people are almost instantly labeled racists if they say anything in a racial context? It seems like black people can make negative racial comments and get away with it. One of the best examples I can think of if Sterling Sharp (former NFL tight end and current NFL commentator). He said that he wasn't intimidated by white defense players because they are not as fast. Not only did he get away with this, but he has a career as a profesional commentator. Could a white person get away with a similar comment and still make it on TV? I seriously doubt it.

I thinhk that everyone is a racist to some degree or another. When you see some one you get a first impression of who they are based on your observation of them (race, clothes, age, hair style, etc). For example, if you look at a white guy and a black guy, who would you think is more likely to play hockey? Who is more likely to go to Howard? Who is more likely to think OJ was innocent?

The answer to these questions is based solely on the individuals race, but I would not call some one who articulates these ideas a racist. IMO, what makes you a racist is if you limit an individuals opportunities based on your preconceived notions about their race.

In this connection, I don't think Sterling Sharp's remark were racist because he is probobly right (in general) about the speed of white defensive players in the NFL. But do you think a guy like Dan Marino could get away with making an analogous observation about why there are more white kickers or quarterbacks? My guess is that he would be run off the network and never be able to work again.

Miggo
11-07-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that comment in reference to my long post blasting affirmative action and the televised reactions of some black people to the verdict.

Don't you agree that white people are almost instantly labeled racists if they say anything in a racial context? It seems like black people can make negative racial comments and get away with it. One of the best examples I can think of if Sterling Sharp (former NFL tight end and current NFL commentator). He said that he wasn't intimidated by white defense players because they are not as fast. Not only did he get away with this, but he has a career as a profesional commentator. Could a white person get away with a similar comment and still make it on TV? I seriously doubt it.

I thinhk that everyone is a racist to some degree or another. When you see some one you get a first impression of who they are based on your observation of them (race, clothes, age, hair style, etc). For example, if you look at a white guy and a black guy, who would you think is more likely to play hockey? Who is more likely to go to Howard? Who is more likely to think OJ was innocent?

The answer to these questions is based solely on the individuals race, but I would not call some one who articulates these ideas a racist. IMO, what makes you a racist is if you limit an individuals opportunities based on your preconceived notions about their race.

In this connection, I don't think Sterling Sharp's remark were racist because he is probobly right (in general) about the speed of white defensive players in the NFL. But do you think a guy like Dan Marino could get away with making an analogous observation about why there are more white kickers or quarterbacks? My guess is that he would be run off the network and never be able to work again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sterling was a wide receiver, I think Shannon was a tight end.

There was just a coach or athletic director of a college that made a comment about needing to draft more Afro-American athletes because their team was lacking speed. He got so much crap for that, he's had to apologize for that.

Put me down for one as not believing that verdict either. I was sitting in an Arby's drive thru and I remember the car behind me beeping the horn to move because I was just sitting there stunned. I think OJ's blood being where it was and the DNA explanation of it was too confusing for the juror's. I don't know what trial they were watching.

That scene of Howard? University students jumping up and down celebrating still makes me sick to my stomach.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sterling was a wide receiver, I think Shannon was a tight end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call on Sterling vs. Shannon. I don't know where I pulled Sterling from. I havn't thought about that guy in years...wierd.

[ QUOTE ]
There was just a coach or athletic director of a college that made a comment about needing to draft more Afro-American athletes because their team was lacking speed. He got so much crap for that, he's had to apologize for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, good reference. BTW, I think that Afro-American is no longer kosher.

[ QUOTE ]
Put me down for one as not believing that verdict either. I was sitting in an Arby's drive thru and I remember the car behind me beeping the horn to move because I was just sitting there stunned. I think OJ's blood being where it was and the DNA explanation of it was too confusing for the juror's. I don't know what trial they were watching.

That scene of Howard? University students jumping up and down celebrating still makes me sick to my stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it wasn't the Arbys?

Seriously, are there any black people on this forum. I'm curious to hear their opinions.

stigmata
11-07-2005, 03:54 PM
I think the fact that the police were corrupt rascists who planted evidence makes any prosecution insecure & unjust.

Dotson
11-07-2005, 04:03 PM
i think the reason a significant portion of the black population was happy that OJ was acquitted is because they feel he beat the system. A system they would, and probably on solid ground, argue has historically been unfair to blacks. I think it was the fact that he is black and was probably guilty and got off that blacks celebrated. Sort of a revenge thing. On another level the verdict showed that if you have enough money you can get off. Just like Robert Blake.

lastsamurai
11-07-2005, 04:44 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/oj_gloves.jpg
ssshhhheeeeeiiiittttt...I probably didnt kill them!
You must aquit!

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
You people will have a lot of crow to eat when OJ tracks down the real killers. Obviously they have fled to South Florida. Based upon my observations I believe they are somehow involved in golf, either as country members or golf course workers.

trying2learn
11-07-2005, 05:18 PM
they could also be involved with ecstacy and cable pirating.

HopeydaFish
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that the police were corrupt rascists who planted evidence makes any prosecution insecure & unjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll grant you "corrupt racists"...I mean, which police department isn't? However, there was no evidence that the huge amount of evidence that they collected was planted.

Basically the defence's case was "Mark Furman is a racist, and he planted evidence because he hates black people and wanted to frame OJ Simpson". It's a ludicrous argument.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 05:41 PM
If I ever get accused of a crime I definitely hope that Marcia Clark handles the prosecution.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I ever get accused of a crime I definitely hope that Marcia Clark handles the prosecution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Darden came to speak at my school after the trial was over. I don't remeber all the details, but I remember him mainly blaming the judge and the jury. His position was that the prosecution hadn't made any significant blunders.

stigmata
11-07-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll grant you "corrupt racists"...I mean, which police department isn't? However, there was no evidence that the huge amount of evidence that they collected was planted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that OJs vehicle had blood stains which matched his wifes DNA. However, these blood stains are notably absent on the original police crime scene photographs, and must have found their way there at a later date.

I saw this on a documentary quite some time ago, so make of that what you will.....

If this is true then the whole matter of OJ's guilt/innocence is kind of moot.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Darden came to speak at my school after the trial was over. I don't remember all the details, but I remember him mainly blaming the judge and the jury. His position was that the prosecution hadn't made any significant blunders.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you expect him to say? My boss and I were clearly idiots who were outclassed every step of the way? The fact that the only work either of them can get is that of 'TV analyst' speaks volumes as their true legal abilities.

Personally, I would rather have Jackie Childs defending me than either Clark or Darden.

BCPVP
11-07-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His position was that the prosecution hadn't made any significant blunders.

[/ QUOTE ]
So did you ask him why they chose to prosecute the case in downtown LA instead of Santa Monica and how that was not THE most significant blunder?

MCS
11-07-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't you agree that white people are almost instantly labeled racists if they say anything in a racial context?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I agree that whites are more scrutinized for things like this, but that's partially because there's a long (and ongoing) history of discrimination against minorities, both in personal and institutional contexts.

I think that scrutiny is most often tied to power. If Shannon Sharpe were a coach instead of a player, I bet there's criticism.

Since most of the powerful people are white, if scrutiny is correlated with power, we should EXPECT for there to be more discussion about them.

I believe that good, honest discussion is frequently suppressed in the name of political correctness. The flip side is that a lot of people who say they're "politically incorrect!" are just prejudiced and superficial and are sort of being anti-PC to justify being rude.

I also think that blacks are scrutinized more than you do. You generally hear about it and you hear discussion when they say something regarding race.

Also consider that there are a LOT of racial comments made among people that know each other and can infer each other's intent or attitude. The point is not to examine the words per se, but what they represent. Too often people don't examine this because it's easier to just instantly grab onto comments and get hysterical.

So in summary: our public racial dialogue is mostly superficial, whites are more scrutinized, but they probably should be, and I don't think the difference is all that much.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Quote:

Chris Darden came to speak at my school after the trial was over. I don't remember all the details, but I remember him mainly blaming the judge and the jury. His position was that the prosecution hadn't made any significant blunders.

What you expect him to say? My boss and I were clearly idiots who were outclassed every step of the way? The fact that the only work either of them can get is that of 'TV analyst' speaks volumes as their true legal abilities.
Personally, I would rather have Jackie Childs defending me than either Clark or Darden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't have any expectation that he would accept responsibility. I just found it interesting that even Darden was pissed that the jury got caught up with the "race card" defense.

4_2_it
11-07-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't have any expectation that he would accept responsibility. I just found it interesting that even Darden was pissed that the jury got caught up with the "race card" defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blaming the jury is easy here. How they could be unprepared for the race card defense? The second Johnnie C signed up to defend the Juice, they knew that was coming. He didn't happen to mention whose idea it was to have OJ try on the glove, did he?

I wish I could have been there, it would have been entertaining asking him questions that he would not be able to answer without looking a complete fool.

Oh well, at least Ron and Nicole civil lawyers did a much better job presenting the same case, albeit with a lower standard required for a guilty verdict.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Good post, but I still disagree here:

[ QUOTE ]

I also think that blacks are scrutinized more than you do. You generally hear about it and you hear discussion when they say something regarding race.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is socially acceptable for black people to make racial generalizations that would make white people pariahs. There are a lot of examples in music: "shake it like a white girl", "even white girls got to shout", and of course the fact that every other hip-hop song has "niger" in it.

[ QUOTE ]
No. I agree that whites are more scrutinized for things like this, but that's partially because there's a long (and ongoing) history of discrimination against minorities, both in personal and institutional contexts.

I think that scrutiny is most often tied to power. If Shannon Sharpe were a coach instead of a player, I bet there's criticism.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your point that there should be more scrutiny placed on people in power, but I also think that putting Shannon Sharpe on TV as a network commentator lends crediblity to his opinions. He has ascended to a postion of power in spite of his racial comments.

I guess what bothers me most is that there is a floating imaginary line in terms of what is approprite regarding racial comments and what is over the line. I feel like black people (on the whole at least) don't mind that niger is used in so many songs. They don't mind if there are jokes about how white guys can't dance (generally true IMO BTW). They don't mind if there is the sterotypical goofy asian convenience store owner in ghetto comedies. But then some one who is white says "I want to get better at recruiting black players so that I can get more team speed" and all hell breaks loose.

Either rage against racial commentary in all forms or accept that racial comments are fine as long as they don't advocate limiting anyone's opportunity to suceed.

[ QUOTE ]
our public racial dialogue is mostly superficial

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely I agree.

TTChamp
11-07-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blaming the jury is easy here. How they could be unprepared for the race card defense? The second Johnnie C signed up to defend the Juice, they knew that was coming. He didn't happen to mention whose idea it was to have OJ try on the glove, did he?

I wish I could have been there, it would have been entertaining asking him questions that he would not be able to answer without looking a complete fool.

Oh well, at least Ron and Nicole civil lawyers did a much better job presenting the same case, albeit with a lower standard required for a guilty verdict.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is ironic about the race defense was that OJ never embraced being black until he was trying to beat the murder charge.

I asked him a few questions, but the only one I remeber now was asking him about the Howard Auditorium celebration. Nothing about his response comes to mind though.

BTW, I'm sure some one will tell me if I blew it on ironic. I've noticed that there are a lot of irony police on here.

Hiding
11-08-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im not saying it was perfect before, but now white people cant stop thinking about the one that got away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Racsim:
Discrimination or prejudice based on race

as a side note, I'm not picking a fight/accusing anyone of anything, just found that interesting.

Overdrive
11-08-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And remember these are the same black people who think the CIA blew up the levees in New Orleans, that the United Nations created Aids, and that Louis Farakhan is a great man. Face the facts. Black people are stupid. But the white girls just can't get enough of the big black sausage can they? Nicole even gave her life for some big black sausage, so I guess to her it was worth it.

ChipWrecked
11-08-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most legal experts...agreed that the prosecution did one of the worst jobs in history when presenting the case. A lot of people dont realize that most of the jurors did not see the mountain of evidence everyone else saw...

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite part of Bugliosi's book: his lamenting that the prosecution never mentioned the interview OJ had with detectives the day after the murders. The former prosecutor wrote, "Give me a yellow pad and 100 hours, and I could've got a conviction based this (evidence) alone."

The main gist of the book was the utter incompetence of the DA's office in this case. The section on Ito's incomprehensible rulings was great, too.

I think I've got to find a copy of this book, and read it again. It's really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it. Main thing that sticks in my memory is that Bugliosi says to expect incompetence and you won't be disappointed.

He also says that since most lawyers are incompetent, and most judges were lawyers, that most judges are also incompetent and one shouldn't be intimidated by the black robe.

youtalkfunny
11-08-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He (Darden) didn't happen to mention whose idea it was to have OJ try on the glove, did he?

[/ QUOTE ]

In his book, Darden says they didn't want to have the glove demo, fearing that exactly what happened might happen. But they were scared to death that Cochran would try it, and it would look even worse if the defense made it look like the prosecution was hiding something.

Darden went on to say that he heroically took one for the team by being the one to ask for the demonstration.

Vavavoom
11-08-2005, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Black people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. And remember these are the same black people who think the CIA blew up the levees in New Orleans, that the United Nations created Aids, and that Louis Farakhan is a great man. Face the facts. Black people are stupid. But the white girls just can't get enough of the big black sausage can they? Nicole even gave her life for some big black sausage, so I guess to her it was worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow....You are big and clever....and u speak with such a profound manner...

Every race has its equal share of stupid people....so lets not say things on an internet message board whilst you have protection of distance that you would not be willing to back up in person...