PDA

View Full Version : Playing a low flush

11-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Villian is 20/5/2.5 over 110 hands, seems pretty standard

1/2 (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (5 handed)
Hero bets, BB calls, Villian raises, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB calls

Turn: (5.5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 handed)
Hero checks, BB checks, Villian checks

River: (5.5 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, Villian bets, Hero calls, BB folds

Final Pot (7.5 BB)

After the villian checked the turn it it looked to me that my flush was no good and that my only hope was a seven. When the diamond hit I just decided to check planning on calling a bet.
Was I wrong in doing this? Are there other hands that a player like that will raise the flop and check the turn when a blank comes downt? 99, 77, maybe. Comments anyone.

jaxUp
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Turn was not a blank, it was an OC. He might check T9, JT, even AT. Also, 99, 77, OESD's, 98, 78, A8, K8. You get the picture. Bet the river.

11-03-2005, 03:29 AM
That queen is a typo. I meant to put a 4.

11-03-2005, 03:31 AM
I would have bet the turn, but folded to a raise.

LoaferGee12
11-03-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, both of these are bad. You see we have 7-high but a flush draw?

As for the hand, I'm bet/calling that river. You really can't put villain strictly on a higher flush draw here.

SoftcoreRevolt
11-03-2005, 03:33 AM
You are folding to a raise with 9 outs? What the Christ.

With that river I bet and call a raise. Villain could have a weak part of the board and may be fearing you'll check raise him. On the river he sees you check again, so he bets second pair, third pair, etc.

Or he could be on a straight draw.

11-03-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Er, both of these are bad. You see we have 7-high but a flush draw?

As for the hand, I'm bet/calling that river. You really can't put villain strictly on a higher flush draw here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes .. this makes a lot of sense. This may also partly explain why when i looked at my PT stats tonight, my EV is particularly low for suited connectors (JT and below) even in late position.

Fryguy
11-03-2005, 03:55 AM
This seems pretty standard up until the river.

1. Limp suited cards preflop getting great odds. check
2. Valuebet a good draw on the flop. check.
3. Somehow manage to get a freecard on the turn. check
4. Make your draw and check/call???!

You need to show aggression on this river, either by betting out, or checking to induce a bluff and raising. Without reads I don't like check/raising this river, as we don't know who will take a shot, and leading out is probably more profitable.

As it stands I play exactly the same up to the river, and bet/call a raise on the river.

11-03-2005, 04:09 AM
I almost always lead out in that spot but for some reason I got a 'feeling' that hand and decided to check my flush on the river. My opponent happened to have a higher flush so i felt pretty confident after making that good/lucky read. I posted the hand up here to remind myself that checking the river is not the correct play. Thanks for the nice reply

pokernicus
11-03-2005, 04:30 AM
I definitely lead this river and call a raise. If I'm confident that Villain will bet, I might even try for a check raise here.

Having a small flush lose to a bigger flush does happen, but not as often as your small flush will beat out the wide range of other hands the villain could be holding like ATs, JTs, QTs, KTs, J9s, etc. The one time you might lose an extra bet because you're up against a bigger flush will be dwarfed by the many more extra bets you'll earn when you get called by a weaker hand in a similar situation.

BTW, nice job on being astute to Villain's free card play on the turn!

jakbse
11-03-2005, 04:48 AM
It certainly looks as if Villian is raising the flop with a flush draw. The not so obvious draw would be an open ender, but I cant really find any limping hands that would make that result. It looks like villian had a better flush, and from that I'd play it the same.