PDA

View Full Version : I take WAY too many showers and I can't stop...

Go Blue
11-03-2005, 02:52 AM
It's ridiculous, like I'm addicted. But then again, they are good. I can't wake up without one, I can't fall asleep without one, I can't get started on my work without one. I'm not really sure how or even if this is abnormal. Just curious to see if I'm the only one or not. Other comments also appreciated.

mason55
11-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Crappy options. No way to average 0 unless you never shower. I shower every other day. WTF do I pick?

Go Blue
11-03-2005, 02:55 AM
I'd say if you shower twice on one day and zero times on the other day, the "average" would be one. If it's not a whole number, then just round it off. I'm just curious to get an approximation.

J_B
11-03-2005, 02:57 AM
get a waterproof laptop so you can play poker in the shower.

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 02:59 AM
I generally shower once a day. It's usually in the early evening though, like say 6:30ish, becuase I spend most of my day either in class or napping. Is there anything wrong with that?

Go Blue
11-03-2005, 03:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get a waterproof laptop so you can play poker in the shower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah I wish. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is almost like when Kramer started living in the shower and installed a garbage disposal there. Hehe.

xorbie
11-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Averaging more than one shower per day is wierd.

Go Blue
11-03-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that 2 was the traditional average...once after waking up and once before going to bed?

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 03:04 AM
I have, at times, gone weeks without showering, simply because I couldn't fit them into my busy schedule of taking naps, watching TV and playing poker.

xorbie
11-03-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that 2 was the traditional average...once after waking up and once before going to bed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I know nobody who does this. People I know are either morning or night showerers... myself I'm one of the latter (speaking of which, time to shower).

11-03-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not remotely close to being average, and that's coming from a guy that showers twice daily.

11-03-2005, 03:09 AM
I shower 2-4 times a week. Mainly, it's just because I don't sweat. I can play a round of golf, then hit a bucket of balls when it's 85 degrees, and I won't be sweating at all.

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I shower 2-4 times a week. Mainly, it's just because I don't sweat. I can play a round of golf, then hit a bucket of balls when it's 85 degrees, and I won't be sweating at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the guy who sits next to you on the bus disagrees.

11-03-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the guy who sits next to you on the bus disagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't take the bus, and no one has ever told me I smell bad. If they ever did, I would shower more.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here, i effectively don't sweat/smell. never had armpit/foot odor, don't use deodorant, etc.

my morning shower is just a hair/face thing to feel refreshed, and even though i clip my head with no guard weekly i feel sort of grubby if i don't shower before officially starting my day.

11-03-2005, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I've never worn cologne or deodorant either. And I have a buzz cut, so my hair doesn't have to get washed more than twice a week.

Jdanz
11-03-2005, 03:21 AM
i go to the gym 3-4 days a week, i shower every morning, i shower after every time i go to the gym.

All these people saying 2 a day is a lot must not be getting much physical activity

(then again i don't get not showering in the morning if it can be helped)

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
like you, i'm sure, i also tire of fielding questions like "isn't that unhealthy?" and "are you hot all of the time?" and that sort of thing. it is physically possible for me to sweat, but it just doesn't happen to me in situations where everybody else is soaked. it runs down my mother's side of the family. my uncle broke a hip in the military and was on crutches for some time. he apparently has an advanced case of no-sweat-itis, because he actually developed swelling in his armpits as a result.

from my father's side i inherited an general immunity to nausea (drinking, carousels, flu, etc). both are very useful traits.

tonypaladino
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Right now I shower pretty much everyday, but sometimes will skip a day during a 48 hour poker-tv-sleep cycle when I don't leave the house much.

In the heat of the summer- I usually take 2-3 a day.

Vavavoom
11-03-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
11-03-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm sure the average for sample of ootiots is like .65/day

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:38 AM
do you actually know other human beings? have you lived with them? normal people shower once per day. they shower again if they get dirty (working out, yard work, that sort of thing). i can't possibly imagine how somebody could interact with other members of society and maintain the belief that 2 per day is standard behavior.

ethan
11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
I average one right now, usually in the evening after I get back from the gym. I'm about to have an actual (9-5) job, which'll probably bring the average up to two.

Since last Thursday, however, I've had to cut back. Friday morning around 5am one of the two glass doors on my shower shattered, apparently of its own accord. I was at my desk 20 feet away, no one else was in my apartment, no earthquake...nothing. I basically hadn't moved during the previous six hours since I'd just picked up Civ4. The glass just fell apart. Figure around 12-13 square feet of glass broke into 0.5in^2 pieces, weighing somewhere around 30 pounds total.

This made a _lot_ of noise. I'd never heard of anything like this happening, and neither had my building manager, but the people who install the showers say it just happens from time to time. The glass was 2" deep in some parts of my tub, so now I'm sort of nervous about stepping back in there.

gobboboy
11-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Once a whenever I feel like it. Dorm showers are awful.

bobbyi
11-03-2005, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no one has ever told me I smell bad. If they ever did, I would shower more.

[/ QUOTE ]
You smell bad.

Tron
11-03-2005, 04:49 AM
Sometimes during the summer I will take a couple showers per day out of boredome. I just took a shower a couple of minutes ago and it was awesome. Yeah.

The Goober
11-03-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you actually know other human beings? have you lived with them? normal people shower once per day. they shower again if they get dirty (working out, yard work, that sort of thing). i can't possibly imagine how somebody could interact with other members of society and maintain the belief that 2 per day is standard behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could this be an asian thing? It sort of goes along with taking your shoes off inside, not getting into bed when you are dirty. If you adhere to this and also like to shower in the morning to wake up or make it easier to get ready or whatever, then you end up showering twice a day.

11-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Wait wait wait, we are talking about showers, arent we?

Vavavoom
11-03-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get up at 6am....have a shower...get dressed for work...start work at 7..

I get in from work @ 6pm....do what i gotta do, play p*kie etc and then do what I gotta do....have a shower about 11pm and got to bed...

2 showers a day isn't bad...its healthy and I feel cleaner as a result...

For those people who don't have to leave the house etc except to pop down to the shops, i can understand that 2 may seem extreme....but I assure you when u work 10-11 days at the office not including the nights out entertaining clients, then 2 showers is the way forward...

Eurotrash
11-03-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
same here, i effectively don't sweat/smell. never had armpit/foot odor, don't use deodorant, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
from my father's side i inherited an general immunity to nausea (drinking, carousels, flu, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

you're like one of the X-Men or some [censored], that's wild.

Slow Play Ray
11-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I cannot officially start my day without showering, so I always take one in the morning. Sometimes I will go to the gym before my morning shower. But if I go to the gym in the afternoon, I take another one when I get home.

So I'd say I average 1.5 a day.

Go Blue
11-03-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once a whenever I feel like it. Dorm showers are awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting responce. Come to the think of it, when I lived in a dorm, I'd limit myself to showering once a day at most because those showers were awful as well. Now that I have my own place...well, then shower is right there whenever I need it and it's clean too. Hence my "addiction."

jdl22
11-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I go on binges. Sometimes I'll go almost a week without a shower other times I've taken 4 or 5 in a day. Sometimes I have even taken a shower before working out. Doesn't really make sense but seems appropriate at the time for some reason.

When I get little sleep because I'm studying playing poker or just can't sleep I shower a lot, probably 3-4 times a day on average. It's weird because showering is good for waking you up when feeling tired but also for relaxing you and making sleeping easier.

jakethebake
11-03-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As is less than one.

durron597
11-03-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do you actually know other human beings? have you lived with them? normal people shower once per day. they shower again if they get dirty (working out, yard work, that sort of thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me and almost everyone I know well enough to know how often they shower.

[ QUOTE ]
i can't possibly imagine how somebody could interact with other members of society and maintain the belief that 2 per day is standard behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, I know some people that do but it's a relatively small %. Probably similar to the poll results /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pokerdirty
11-03-2005, 10:04 AM
the only time I shower more than once a day (morning), is if I work out (i sweat lots), or if I take a nasty dump, and the stankass is too much to deal with.

ChipWrecked
11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I ride a bicycle to work, and I work up a sweat doing so. I shower after each ride; once before starting work and once when I get home. I find nothing strange about that.

I'm a little surprised we don't have more gym rats weighing in on this.

LALDAAS
11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I would say my record is 5 in one day.

But I am pretty much with ya Go Blue.

In the summer time I live close enough to work I will some times run home for a shower at lunch time.

jon_1van
11-03-2005, 10:32 AM
You probably have a mild case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (I'm serious about this)

soko
11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
I have very dry skin so if I shower every day I really dry out and I hate lotion, so I shower every other day or once every 3 days.

miajag81
11-03-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Says you, stinky.

Ulysses
11-03-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If most of the people they interact with go to the gym every day, 2 could seem standard.

schwza
11-03-2005, 11:36 AM
as another poster said, this is a pretty common way for obsessive compulsive disorder to manifest itself. if this is something that bothers you - and from the subject title, it sounds like it is - i'd recommend seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist. if you have a doctor already, you can start by asking him/her for info. here's a link to an ocd organization (http://www.ocfoundation.org/)

Vish
11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as another poster said, this is a pretty common way for obsessive compulsive disorder to manifest itself. if this is something that bothers you - and from the subject title, it sounds like it is - i'd recommend seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist. if you have a doctor already, you can start by asking him/her for info. here's a link to an ocd organization (http://www.ocfoundation.org/)

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaaand there it is...

What thread would be complete without someone recommending a psychologist because someone else's habits differ from his?

jon_1van
11-03-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaaand there it is...

What thread would be complete without someone recommending a psychologist because someone else's habits differ from his?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing wrong with the advice to "see someone if you don't like whats happening"

InchoateHand
11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I like being clean too. In temperate climates though, I make do with 1-2. When I am in the tropics, 2-3 is more typical. Basically, when I wake up, and anytime I sweat. Most people I know who go to the gym in the afternoon/lunchtime are also double-showerers, and there is nothing especially neurotic about them. Asking a question about showering on an internet forum peopled by male college student internet nerds / pre-college internet nerds is going to bias your results somewhat, like [censored] entirely.

jba
11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
i'd say 1.75/day

one every morning, and one after a good shag.

seriously through how can you just go right to sleep covered in sweat/saliva/mucus/manjoose?

pokerdirty
11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd say 1.75/day

seriously through how can you just go right to sleep covered in sweat/saliva/mucus/manjoose?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

RacersEdge
11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
I take 1 per day - with occasionally the missed day. But it would have to be the morning shower. If I took one at night, I would have the night film on me - and my hair would be messed up in the morning.

joeski19
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you get dirty while sleeping? You showered at night why the morning?

Also everyone should shower at night so you don’t get dirt, sweat, etc on your sheets and blankets.

Unless of course you got some stank on your hang low. Then shower in the morning. And change your sheets.

Vavavoom
[ QUOTE ]
i'd say 1.75/day

seriously through how can you just go right to sleep covered in sweat/saliva/mucus/ manjoose ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm....Something you're not telling us...

jba
11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd say 1.75/day

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you think her nanoo-nanoo gets all slippery?

RacersEdge
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i go to the gym 3-4 days a week, i shower every morning, i shower after every time i go to the gym.

All these people saying 2 a day is a lot must not be getting much physical activity

(then again i don't get not showering in the morning if it can be helped)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a big sweater either - I can work out at night and just put off the shower until the next morning.

Vavavoom
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you get dirty while sleeping? You showered at night why the morning?

Also everyone should shower at night so you don’t get dirt, sweat, etc on your sheets and blankets.

Unless of course you got some stank on your hang low. Then shower in the morning. And change your sheets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this attitude...

I sleep approx 7 hrs through the night and if i sweat that sweat is trapped on my body. That sweat then dries...yadda yadda yadda....bacteria...yadda yadda.....Just because I had a shower before I went to sleep doesn't mean that my sweat will be clean....

This is silly....In the business world, U ask any man who does a 7-6 job and plays sports .....and he'll say that he has 2 showers a day unless he has a gland problem which means that he doesn't sweat....

However, if it was 2 baths a day - then I would say WTF !!

Rduke55
11-03-2005, 12:37 PM
You're fine. If showering too much is your main concern you'll probably have a good life.
Moisturize if you need to.
There's few things a long, hot shower can't help. Drunkenness, hangovers, drug problems, drowsiness, insomnia, depression, anxiety, etc. etc. etc.

pokerdirty
11-03-2005, 12:39 PM
get some of these (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009RF9S2/002-2409243-5919230?v=glance)

once you use them, you'll never want to take a shower without one. they are sort of expensive, but this will help fight your urge in the long run.

joeski19
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I don't sweat when I sleep. And I don't sweat at any rest positions. Unless of course I'm sitting in the sun. Sounds like you need to wash your sheets everyday.

Vavavoom
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't sweat when I sleep. And I don't sweat at any rest positions. Unless of course I'm sitting in the sun. Sounds like you need to wash your sheets everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when u start puberty u may indeed begin to perspire...

JackWilson
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say. I find it shocking that a couple of people have expressed the opinion that it's ok to not shower everyday (except for the occasional day that gets skipped when you don't leave the house). Frankly, I think only showering twice a week is [censored] disgusting.

joeski19
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry, I'm not some big fat oaf who sweats when they sleep. Not to mention I'm older than you son.

Shajen
11-03-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say. I find it shocking that a couple of people have expressed the opinion that it's ok to not shower everyday (except for the occasional day that gets skipped when you don't leave the house). Frankly, I think only showering twice a week is [censored] disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, these dudes need to wash their asses.

Nasty.

LALDAAS
11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, these dudes need to wash their asses.

Nasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://members.comics.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/images/meet_pig_pen_big.gif

IndieMatty
11-03-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm about to embark on this thread and I know that it's going to culminate with me being disgusted with how dirty some of you guys are. It is not normal to not shower AT LEAST once a day. I'll be back at the end of this thread to see if my predictions are correct.

Edit: Yup a few dirty [censored] and people with a lack of common sense. Two stars.

miajag81
11-03-2005, 01:40 PM
All the people who say averaging more than one shower a day is abnormal are either not getting enough exercise, not having enough sex, or just don't mind going around smelling like ass all the time.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 01:55 PM
it's an observation of an average

you are [censored] retarded if you think the AVERAGE AMERICAN takes 2+ showers per day

miajag81
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm talking about whoever said more than one shower a day is WEIRD. Clearly the average American doesn't average two and probably not even one.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
well, "weird" means "abnormal". if taking one shower per day at most is normal, then taking 2 or more is abnormal. it is weird.

the first shower of the day is standard. any shower afterward when dirty/smelly is fine. any shower afterward when not dirty/smelly is strange.

miajag81
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
"Average" and "normal" don't mean the same thing.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 02:07 PM
wow! i always wondered why those words were spelled and pronounced differently.

unfortunately, your "point" has no meaning here. what i said was completely correct, and you are being an idiot.

miajag81
11-03-2005, 02:30 PM
My point obviously has no meaning to you, because you seem to be completely missing it.

pokerdirty
11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to embark on this thread and I know that it's going to culminate with me being disgusted with how dirty some of you guys are.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't hate against Dirty people.

Blarg
11-03-2005, 09:24 PM
When I grew up, in the tropics, I used to shower at least twice a day. Once before bed, because there's no way you wanted to climb into bed all greasy, and in the hot humid tropics, everyone's greasy all the time. And once after sleep, because you've got your hours of sleeping to grease you up again, and you can't go outside the house like that.

If I had to go out in the middle of the day, sometimes there would be a third shower.

I agree that it's much harder to wake up without a shower, too. A shower miraculously wakes you up when you're sleepy and calms you down when you're not -- neat trick. If you turn the water to hot enough, it can even make you sleepy. Perfect! So soothing for sore muscles, too..

I always liked my friend's shower theory. He said the only reason you really do anything in life is so that you can take a shower. Play sports? You really do it for the shower after. Sex? Same thing. Wake up in the morning? Yep. Go to sleep at night? Shower. It's all about the showers, baby. That's the happy end of what life all boils down to -- a nice shower.

I can dig it.

Vavavoom
11-04-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I'm not some big fat oaf who sweats when they sleep. Not to mention I'm older than you son.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm unfortunately not a big fat oaf....I'm a sportsman and play multiple sports regularly...And what has age got to do with it - I'm 23 .... I like being clean... Like some other posters have said....Obviously if all u do is sit around all day and don't have to interract with other people all day then 2 showers a day would seem pointless....Unfortunately, in my world, I have to spend a little more time out and about than the average person and hence thats why I prefer to have 2 showers a day...

FWIW, a shower in the morning is a good way of waking-up ...