PDA

View Full Version : make a living without working for the man?

JaBlue
11-03-2005, 02:06 AM
what are options for people who don't like to be told what to do? I am very likely not cut out for a 9-5 so I'd like to know my options. I guess I could be a musician or gambler or entrepeneur. what else is out there?

JTrout
11-03-2005, 02:08 AM
pro bowler

or

slumlord

11-03-2005, 02:09 AM
http://www.katu.com/news/images/story2005/050222panhandling.jpg

Rev. Good Will
11-03-2005, 02:11 AM
be the man

opening a small business an option?

astroglide
11-03-2005, 02:13 AM
i think it's pretty accurate generalization that people have independent success not because they "didn't like being told what to do", but that they thought they could do a better job than those who were doing the telling. if a casual notion of "being free" is all you've got for inspiration, good luck.

Argus
11-03-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what are options for people who don't like to be told what to do? I am very likely not cut out for a 9-5 so I'd like to know my options. I guess I could be a musician or gambler or entrepeneur. what else is out there?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you aren't cut out for 9-5, what makes you think you are cut out for 9-9?

mason55
11-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Learn to operate a digital scale. You can set your own hours, make a ton of money, have a job full of danger and excitement, meet new and interesting people, and best of all, NO DRUG TEST!

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Contract killer

Drug dealer

Pimp

Garbage man

You could offer yourself up as a sacrifice to the volcano god of the indigenous people of a small island in the South Pacific in exchange for a rich businessman to completely take care of you in the weeks leading up to our death, because he needs to find a suitable sacrifice in order to continue mining the island.

JaBlue
11-03-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you aren't cut out for 9-5, what makes you think you are cut out for 9-9?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I wasn't clear that when I said 9-5 I generally meant the beuracracy, reporting to bosses, climbing corporate ladder, etc. involved. When focused I feel like I work better than just about anybody else.

diebitter
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
What's wrong with getting a job?

hmmm...
http://www.albundy.net/al_pics/al017b.JPG

Okay, I'm with you.

11-03-2005, 02:45 AM
It would help if we knew what your skills and interests are.

mason55
11-03-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It would help if we knew what your skills and interests are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can sell drugs or suck dick.

JaBlue
11-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I am reasonably good at math, logic, etc. I am a competent writer and I like music - am good at guitar. I don't know what interests me, really. I like to play poker and I like to read and I like to go out with friends etc.

I could see myself as a writer (playwrite? screenwriter?) but from what I understand it is very hard to make it this way. I don't need much money but I don't want to have to worry about it.

Oh yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of what my options are for the future. I'm not even in college til next year.

PoBoy321
11-03-2005, 03:02 AM
If you wanted to spend a whole bunch of money and a few more years in school, you could think about going into criminal law. The logic, rhetorical and performance aspects of it seem like they would suit your interests well. If you were to open your own practice, you could easily set your own hours and be your own boss.

11-03-2005, 03:04 AM
I'd say stick to poker for the time being. Take some business classes in college, and just try to learn about a lot of different things that might interest you. Then after college, pick something you think you could do well and would enjoy, and start your own business.

bholdr
11-03-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
make a living without working for the man?

[/ QUOTE ]

be the man.

seriously... don't make money as a laborer... working with your body... don't make money with your mind, wasting your time...

make money with your MONEY, son... be the capital and not the labor.

tonypaladino
11-03-2005, 03:29 AM
Hit up a maritime college and get a degree in Maritime Engineering.

Whenever you feel like working, you call the union, and within a week your on a ship for 2 months, get your check for $40,000 and repeat every time you want another $40,000

SammyKid11
11-03-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I could be a musician

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you could be, but only if you happen to be extremely talented on at least one instrument that's in demand, spend years cultivating that talent so that your abilities are in the top 1% of everyone on earth who plays your particular instrument, happen to get out and meet the right people, spend lots of money promoting yourself, and then get really lucky on top of that.

On second thought, if you're looking for something you can jump into and make a good living at while not working for "the man"...maybe you try something else.

11-03-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
I guess I could be a musician

I guess you could be, but only if you happen to be extremely talented on at least one instrument that's in demand, spend years cultivating that talent so that your abilities are in the top 1% of everyone on earth who plays your particular instrument, happen to get out and meet the right people, spend lots of money promoting yourself, and then get really lucky on top of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you'd get a lot of poontang.

11-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Absolutely true. While in high school/year off before college... I was the subpar drummer on a band otherwise full of amazing artists... they get gigs now, I have poker and computer science..

but god... the poon-tang.

chicks.

love.

drummers.

The Goober
11-03-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's pretty accurate generalization that people have independent success not because they "didn't like being told what to do", but that they thought they could do a better job than those who were doing the telling. if a casual notion of "being free" is all you've got for inspiration, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. Remember that even if you get lucky and make it as a business owner, muscian, writer, etc, you will still have people who can tell you what to do. You may not have a "boss" per se, but you will have to answer to your investors, publisher, record label, clients, etc.. You may not have to climb a corporate ladder, but you will have to do lots of networking, ass-kissing, and other political bullshit.

If you haven't started college yet, you've got lots of time. Just find something that you love doing, and you won't care so much who are you doing it for.

SammyKid11
11-03-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely true. While in high school/year off before college... I was the subpar drummer on a band otherwise full of amazing artists... they get gigs now, I have poker and computer science..

chicks.

love.

drummers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it from someone who's been both the drummer and the lead singer for different bands...chicks love lead singers more.

diebitter
11-03-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

chicks.

love.

drummers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take it from someone who's been both the drummer and the lead singer for different bands...chicks love lead singers more.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the troof! Plus, to be a drummer, you have to be nuttier than a cocoanut dipped in peanut butter and fried in nut oil.

Argus
11-03-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hit up a maritime college and get a degree in Maritime Engineering.

Whenever you feel like working, you call the union, and within a week your on a ship for 2 months, get your check for $40,000 and repeat every time you want another $40,000

[/ QUOTE ]
What do maritime engineers do, and how do you qualify to be one? I'm an unemployed computer engineer, and I could use some work (as well as the money).

JonPKibble
11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Starting an internet business can be cheap, fun, and profitable. It takes a lot of time and energy, as well as creativity of course. Obviously it won't work for everyone, but if you can find something you enjoy doing and turn it into a career while being self-employed, that is the way to go. This is what I have been doing for four years now.

It is definitely nice not having to answer to a boss, an alarm clock, and an hourly wage. If you can get your foot in the door, go for it. Try and find some local entrepreneurs that you can gain some insight from. You don't necessarily need a formal education to start a business. I didn't, but YMMV.

turnipmonster
11-03-2005, 11:59 AM
most professional musicians aren't famouse rock stars, you know.

schwza
11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
be the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but to be the man, you have to beat the man, and the man is

http://www.hammerhed.com/wrestling/35b.jpg

IndieMatty
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
be the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.hammerhed.com/wrestling/35b.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

xadrez
11-03-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not even in college til next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, the optimism of youth

Peter McDermott
11-03-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
be the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not The Man. *This* is The Man (http://www.skgiessen.de/movies/showfilm.php?filmfile=6512.txt&pfad=6069)

11-03-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of what my options are for the future. I'm not even in college til next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not even in college yet and you are concerned about a job? Dude, wake up. College is about to be the best 4 years of carefree living your short life will ever see. I guarantee you that a job will not be your concern when you are sleeping 13 hours a day, napping every day, drinking everyday, going to classes sometimes and hopping on every chick that will let you. Think about a job later.

Oh yeah, don't be stupid and fail out. Squeeze in some work and you'll be good to go.

If you graduate and still don't think you want a job, go to grad school.

Good luck!

SmileyEH
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
College is about to be the best 4 years of carefree living your short life will ever see. I gaurantee you that a job will not be your concern when you are sleeping 13 hours a day, napping every day, drinking everyday, going to classes sometimes and hopping on every chick that will let you

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a killjoy, but I've done two years of college and the lifestyle isn't all it's cracked up to be. Getting drunk all the time, sleeping around, skipping class and so on gets really boring and unfullfilling quickly - at least it did for me. When I do go back to school I definitely won't be living on campus or even attending until I actually want to be there to work hard and get a degree that was worth it.

-SmileyEH

JonPKibble
11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
College is about to be the best 7 years of carefree living your short life will ever see. I guarantee you that a job will not be your concern when you are sleeping 13 hours a day, napping every day, drinking everyday, doing bong hits, going to classes sometimes and hopping on every chick that will let you. Think about a job later.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

housenuts
11-03-2005, 02:06 PM
join the army. see the world

11-03-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
College is about to be the best 4 years of carefree living your short life will ever see. I gaurantee you that a job will not be your concern when you are sleeping 13 hours a day, napping every day, drinking everyday, going to classes sometimes and hopping on every chick that will let you

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a killjoy, but I've done two years of college and the lifestyle isn't all it's cracked up to be. Getting drunk all the time, sleeping around, skipping class and so on gets really boring and unfullfilling quickly - at least it did for me. When I do go back to school I definitely won't be living on campus or even attending until I actually want to be there to work hard and get a degree that was worth it.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

If that didn't do it for you, then you could have stayed for the academics. I was only emphasizing some of the good things about school. You also develop as a person, meet people who will likely become your best of friends for the rest of your life, learn what it's like to have independence (albeit with a gigantic safety-net), have exposure to many new ideas/thoughts from people that are actually well-educated, amongst many other rewarding activities. There has to be something that interests you! In that time, you should be having some fun.
I assume you are working if you are taking time off from school? I don't know if you enjoy what you are doing, but really start to thing about how everything is going to play out. College is necessary in many ways, and don't worry so much about which degree you get, just get something that you enjoy. You have the rest of your life to figure out what you want to do and then go to grad school when you get there.

I hope you figure out what you want to do, and if (when) you go back, you're right about not staying on campus. You'll be disgusted. If you can, study abroad. I did it twice and it made the experience so much better than being on campus the entire time. That goes for the OP, too. Study abroad!

HopeydaFish
11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
http://video.go.com/starwatch2000/sites/deucebigalow/assets/main/deuce.jpg

InchoateHand
11-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Sell patchouli?