PDA

View Full Version : New computer causing problems with my 2001 FP

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Okay, so I just bought a IBM Thinkpad laptop to replace my piece of crap dell and when I try to connect it to my 2001 FP at the full 1600x1200 resolution, the image is kinda screwed up. It is hard to describe, but to the right of any text on the screen there is a weird shadow or ghost image in the same shape as text. This does not happen when the 2001 FP is set at the same resolution as the laptop and it doesnt happen on the laptop's LCD.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What the hell could this be? Is my hardware screwed up or could it be a software problem? The video card is an ATI Radeon 7500

astroglide
11-03-2005, 01:54 AM
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
I downloaded one of the drivers from that site and installed it and I still have the same problem. Any more suggestions?

astroglide
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
thinkpads have terrible quality from the analog outputs. the docking stations have a dvi port which works infinitely better (and the hacked omega drivers are necessary in order to get the port to go higher than 1280x1024).

i actually had a loaded t42p and returned it. i was considering it as a desktop replacement, but the video performance (that one had a firegl card) and output quality caused me to decide that it wasn't worth 3 grand.

almost all of my office's laptops are thinkpads - T series, R series, X series - and they all have misc issues with video including low-quality output. it's an achilles heel on what is otherwise a near-perfect system. i can't know if what you're describing is "par for the thinkpad course", or if you've actually got a problem that can be corrected a bit without actually seeing what you're seeing.

typing this from a loaded dell inspiron 9300. the only thing i really miss compared to the ibm is the excellent keyboard and the brand quality. i'd rather have a straight uxga screen and a lighter load instead of wuxga, but since i don't really go anywhere with it that doesn't bother me either. stuff like civ4 looks great in widescreen, though, and i suspect that proper support for such resolutions will soon be a standard feature in games.

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thinkpads have terrible quality from the analog outputs. the docking stations have a dvi port which works infinitely better (and the omega drivers are necessary in order to get the port to output higher than 1280x1024).

i actually had a loaded t42p and returned it. i was considering it as a desktop replacement, but the video performance (that one had a firegl card) and output quality caused me to decide that it wasn't worth 3 grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a T42 and like I said the video card is a Radeon 7500, which is the same video card as my old dell laptop, which never caused me the problem I am having now. If they both have the same video card, why would they perform differently? What other variable is there?

I dont play video games, so I'm not worried about that, but any text on the screen is noticeably fuzzy. I can still read it, but my eyes are not enjoying it. The problem has actually seemed to have gotten slightly better in the last hour, but I've spent that whole time with my eyes about an inch from the screen so I don't know if I can believe what I see.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:18 AM
the video chipset is the same, but the implementation - including the dac/external output - is left up to the manufacturer. in this area, ibm dropped the ball.

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
almost all of my office's laptops are thinkpads - T series, R series, X series - and they all have misc issues with video including low-quality output. it's an achilles heel on what is otherwise a near-perfect system. i can't know if what you're describing is "par for the thinkpad course", or if you've actually got a problem that can be corrected a bit without actually seeing what you're seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish there was a way I could show it to you, but the problem is tiny enough that it probably wouldnt show up on a digital picture. My main reason for buying the Thinkpad was so I wouldnt have to carry my heavy dell to school everyday. Since the dell still works, I think I'll just keep that connected to the 2001FP and use it as my home computer. Though it will be kind of annoying transferring files between the two computers.

What do you think are the chances that getting a docking station would solve the problem?

slickpoppa
11-03-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the video chipset is the same, but the implementation - including the dac/external output - is left up to the manufacturer. in this area, ibm dropped the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing most of their customer do not connect their laptops to an external 1600x1200 monitor, so its not hard for them to get away with it. And if I didnt have good eyesight I probably wouldn't have noticed a problem.

astroglide
11-03-2005, 03:33 AM
if it's tiny enough that i wouldn't notice, you're definitely looking at the standard crappiness of their outputs.

a docking station will 'solve your problem'. as i said you will need the omega drivers, because otherwise the thinkpad won't output higher than 1280x1024 on the dvi port (neat huh?). you'll also be insuring that you're not going to be double monitoring it with poker and whatnot, because the analog out will remain abysmal. food for thought if you're still at a point where the laptop can be returned. video issues aside, when factoring weight/quality they are truly amazing systems. for typical business/educational use they are a great choice. dells are cheaper and faster with more features at the same price points, though.