PDA

View Full Version : Poorly played flopped trips

Homer
06-15-2003, 09:41 PM
I just drove 4 hrs home from Long Island. Probably not the best idea for me to jump onto the computer right away to play poker, but I did so anyway. Anyhoo...

Party 3/6. First orbit, don't know any of my opponents.

I'm dealt Q9o in the BB. Five limpers and I check.

Flop - Qd Qc 8h

I bet, EP raises, MP reraises, LP calls three cold, I coldcall, EP calls. Four to the turn.

Turn - 3d

I check and it gets checked around.

River - 3c

I bet, MP raises, I scratch my head in confusion and call (Homer, you moron!).

Feel free to comment on how you would have played the hand. Obviously I should have reraised the river, but what are your thoughts on the flop and turn?

-- Homer

Homer
06-15-2003, 09:45 PM
MP had AA and my hand was good enough.

-- Homer

bigfishead
06-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Well you probably only left 1 BB on the table. But those add up. I wouldnt think of slowing down till 5 bets.
I deal the game for a living also and many times I have seen someone just call head up with the nut str8 or when they get raised they figure it's a chop and say "okok lets chop it up". And flat call only to find out they were up against 2nd nut or something.

A great example of how badly some players will overplay:\
I raise pre-flop w AQ

Flop; A Q 2

I bet. Get raised by loose goose(LG)I 3 bet. He calls.

Turn; 2

I bet he calls.

River; A

I bet, LG raises, I 3-bet, LG 4-bets, I 5-bet, LG makes it 6 bets, I pause and say ok maybe he does have pocket ducks.
I call.

Board: AQ22A

He has a dry ace. And I stopped betting My AQ! I knew the player and initially figured he was betting a dry ace. But after 6 bets I had to stop. If I have a big hand, and I'm going to lose with it, I'm going to lose alot of chips. But mostly I'm going to maximze their mistakes. Try watching out for this. You'll see it happen. People way way overvalue or way way undervalue or figure "we're tied".

You'll be amased in just one session hoe often you see that.

Inthacup
06-15-2003, 11:02 PM
Homer, think back to that hand you and I played together where you had 8's over 4's and I had 4's over 8's. You didn't reraise me because you *knew* we were going to chop. Although it seems futile, you gotta reraise and cap when it seems like a chop is the only possible outcome.

Homer
06-15-2003, 11:08 PM
I know, of course you are right. It's strange that something like this would be a weakness in my game -- it is so easy to correct, yet is a mistake I find myself making all too often.

-- Homer

Nottom
06-16-2003, 12:23 AM
I see the same thing on boards that end up TJQKx with no flush. A guy bets another raises and the first guy just calls with his ace only to see the other guy flip up a 9 or 2 pair or some other hand he should have raised.

elysium
06-16-2003, 02:14 AM
hi holm
homer, i know you were looking to check-raise if all looked well. you also probably wanted to see how the action evolved etc. but, the problem is that yuo holmer are a check-raise risk. that's fine when you know that you're stronger than your opponent but your opponent may feel as though the strength of his holding is partially hidden. but it's not hidden holmer. you're thinking 'a boat'. so he thinks you think he is strong, but you're going for a check-raise anyway?! his hand isn't partially hidden. but when he checks it down, now it is.

you're too frightening not to bet here and forfeit the dang check-raise. give it up holmer, bet for crying out loud. surrender your check-raise option. your opponents have shown too strong.

they fear a check-raise.

what do you have here?......eh, you've got Q9. i have you in the lead, but it's dicey if you get a three bet in and get raised. and yes,if raised, reraise. on the turn.

on the river holmer, you must reraise. holmer....for crying out loud. i left you alone for two weeks and you come back with this? holmer, you need to refreshen a little. we all do from time to time. you need to reread hfap and top to stop this kind of thing from going on what we have here. not gramatically correct holmer, but i think you get the point. you'd been playing reasonably well to fairly strong up until now.

SwordFish
06-16-2003, 04:02 AM
after the river the board reads Q2TJK (no flushes). I'm holding AQ and get bet into heads up. I raise, he makes it 3, I cap it. While we are raising another player at the table says "just call, all you are doing is raising the rake". Maybe that is the justification for some people to make this move (not referring to you Homer).

Of course I just laughed when he showed KK and I took down the whole pot.

Joe Tall
06-16-2003, 08:14 AM
I would have capped the flop and bet out on the turn. There are a few questions of what other holdings are out that have you beat...AQ, KQ, 88 would have raised pre-flop, (however, you know your table). So it's QJ and QT that have you beat. The ram-jamming on the flop didn't give out too much info, so I'd bet out on the turn).

Nice table. Hope you stuck around for a while.

Robk
06-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Based on my experiences at Party in the last two weeks, I would cap the flop and bet the turn every single time. Anywhere else in the universe, someone would bet the turn after this flop action. But you just can't rely on these turkeys to do anything right.

Homer
06-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone:

I agree that I should have capped the flop and bet out on the turn.

Something I have noticed is that at the beginning of a session I play a little more tentative until I am more confortable with the flow of the game. Kind of similar to two boxers feeling each other out in the opening rounds. Does anyone else notice the same thing in himself?

-- Homer

Homer
06-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Hi elysium:

You've provided me with some nice thoughts. The only thing I disagree with is that I should reraise the turn if I bet out and am raised. Would you care to elaborate on this comment?

You are correct that not re-raising the river was ridiculous.

-- Homer