PDA

View Full Version : NBA Jam fan? Help me remember all the quotes

RiverFenix
11-03-2005, 01:18 AM
I was quoting them with some friends one night over a game of pong and I know we're missing some. Google isnt my friend on this one so I need OOT.

Hes heating up
Hes on fire
cant buy a bucket
from downtown
BOOMSHAKALAKA
nail in the coffin

I thought there was also something about throwing up bricks and rebounds.

heres a sweet pic to reminisce
http://www.mr-atari.com/afbeeldingen/jag%20nba%20jam.jpg

rchandra
11-03-2005, 01:40 AM
"Puts up a brick" (said while inhaling, as he's excited about the shot)
"Swish!"
"Nothin' but net!"

Popinjay
11-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Is it the shoe!?

HamJam
11-03-2005, 01:54 AM
RE-BOUND!!!

kyro
11-03-2005, 01:56 AM
"Wide open!"
"TERrible shot!"
"Ugly shot!"
"Lays it in!"

This was for the SNES, NBA Jam TE, so it may different from what you'r ethinking of.

gr8vertical
11-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I hate myself for not knowing any of the sayings... I had Tournament Edition for my computer (133mhz /images/graemlins/cool.gif ) and my friends and I played that game non stop

phx
11-03-2005, 02:00 AM
cant believe u forgot the best one

razzledazzle

Cumulonimbus
11-03-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
cant believe u forgot the best one

razzledazzle

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

TTChamp
11-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Wasn't there a "get that outta here" and "the steal" or "steal".

This was a great game. IMO it was the last of the good arcade type sports games. The trend in sports games has been toward reality ever since. My buddy and I once sat down and played this game continulously as the Timberwolves (Laetner and Person as I remember) until we beat every team.

Does anyone remember the special characters you could get. I remember Pfunk and some kid.

BTW, I still use every single saying you remembered frequently (especially BOOMSHAKALAKA). My buddy still shouts out "Izzalino" every time some random white guy chucks up a three.

2+2 wannabe
11-03-2005, 02:26 AM
"wild shot"
"stolen"

11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't there a "get that outta here" and "the steal" or "steal".

This was a great game. IMO it was the last of the good arcade type sports games. The trend in sports games has been toward reality ever since. My buddy and I once sat down and played this game continulously as the Timberwolves (Laetner and Person as I remember) until we beat every team.

Does anyone remember the special characters you could get. I remember Pfunk and some kid.

BTW, I still use every single saying you remembered frequently (especially BOOMSHAKALAKA). My buddy still shouts out "Izzalino" every time some random white guy chucks up a three.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell does izzalino mean? I could only thing he was saying "it's a leaner!"...

tpir90036
11-03-2005, 02:39 AM
"The turnover"
"From downtown!"
"Grabs the rebound!"
"Get that out of here!"
"Whoa my!!"

nolanfan34
11-03-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best was Air Max, who I would pair with Kendall Gill on the Sonics. I think if I stood in front of the arcade machine today, muscle memory would take over and I'd still remember the code...

wonderwes
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!" (that was one of the special character names)

I still think the first early versions of this game were the best arcade games of the decade.

Every always made the issue Michael Jordan was not in the game.

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/screens/N/vNBA_Jam.png

http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/10/1085720495.jpg

"MJT Mar 22 - Mark Turmell, lead designer (and the most powerful character in the game). Since Mark Turmell is a Detroit Pistons fan, he sweetened the arcade code to give them a slight advantage over their regional rivals, the Chicago Bulls. Turmell said in an interview, "If it boiled down to a last-second shot, forget about it -- the Bulls would never score.""

tpir90036
11-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Most of the other dudes who worked on Jam/Mortal Kombat were in the game too: Sal Davita, Ed Boon, The "Toasty" Guy, Sheridian Ourseler.

Yes I am a video game nerd too.

TTChamp
11-03-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what the hell does izzalino mean? I could only thing he was saying "it's a leaner!"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Izzalino was the name of one of the players. I think his first name was Tom. My buddy would always use him and shot a bunch of threes.

protocol
11-03-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO it was the last of the good arcade type sports games. The trend in sports games has been toward reality ever since.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about NFL blitz?

elmo
11-03-2005, 02:56 AM
"rejected"
"scores"

TTChamp
11-03-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What about NFL blitz?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never was a fan. You put NFL Blitz on the same level as NBA Jams? To me they are not even close.

To me the early EA Hockey games ranked with the NBA Jams, but eanh year they make the game more realistic and less fun IMO.

Eurotrash
11-03-2005, 02:58 AM
wow, I opened this thread totally ready to rattle off a ton of these quotes, but it seems most all of them that I remember have been done. disappointing.

I'll at least add that I used to play as "Air Dog," I feel such shame

TheBlueMonster
11-03-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hes on fire

[/ QUOTE ]
of course this always sounded like "Heath goes higher!"

protocol
11-03-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about NFL blitz?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never was a fan. You put NFL Blitz on the same level as NBA Jams? To me they are not even close.

To me the early EA Hockey games ranked with the NBA Jams, but eanh year they make the game more realistic and less fun IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that NBA Jam was better, I am just saying that they are similar in that they both were better as arcade games than console games, whereas most sports games are the opposite. I think that this is because they were made to be intentionally unrealistic.

11-03-2005, 04:14 AM
The pic you posted for the game, more old school than the game itself is the fact that the poster is for the Jaguar 64-bit system.

runner4life7
11-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Throws up a prayer!

wonderwes
11-03-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the other dudes who worked on Jam/Mortal Kombat were in the game too: Sal Davita, Ed Boon, The "Toasty" Guy, Sheridian Ourseler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those guys created the pioneer games for Midway. Speaking of:
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/10/1086127906.jpg
http://images.webmagic.com/klov.com/images/10/1085720107.jpg

TheCroShow
11-03-2005, 04:40 AM
at least one or all of the beastie boys were on there as well. man i wish i still had my sega genesis, nba jam TE and a whack of controllers.....

Vavavoom
11-03-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was quoting them with some friends one night over a game of pong and I know we're missing some. Google isnt my friend on this one so I need OOT.

Hes heating up
Hes on fire
cant buy a bucket
from downtown
BOOMSHAKALAKA
nail in the coffin

I thought there was also something about throwing up bricks and rebounds.

heres a sweet pic to reminisce
http://www.mr-atari.com/afbeeldingen/jag%20nba%20jam.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

"At The Buzzer"
"Its good"

And whatever team u are :

"XXXXXX Wiiiins the game"