PDA

View Full Version : What is the play?

Poker Jon
06-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Hey all,

Stars 1 tab;le S&G table. 7 players left, blinds at 25/50.

I am second chip leader with 2,300.

Look down at QJo in fourth position and decide to have a look at the flop. 2 callers behind me and the buttons make it 5.

Flop: Q 10 9 with 2 hearts.

Buttons check to me and I make it 250 to play (bet the pot). PLayer next to me (play A lets call him) raises to 600, next player folds and the small blind goes all in for 2,800 (he was the chip leader).

What do you do here?

Here are my thoughts:

SB: has slow played trips or has an overpair - I don't think so, as that is a dangerous flop to give a free card to
SB: has a draw - distinct possibility - may well be trying to take it there and then
PLay A: might have trips or overpair, but would have expected him to go all in after my bet to take out draws
Play A: May also have a draw - either flush or straight

Here is my thinking:
1) Do I call as I probably have the best hand at the moment?
2) If I call, am I giving correct odds for PLay A to call a draw?
3) If I dont call, will play A call (has about 700 more chips)
4) Do I have the best hand now? If not, does it matter because I have an up and down stright draw?

Would just like some peoples thoughts on what they would do in the same situation and I will then post the results!

Al_Capone_Junior
06-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Since you have to call an all-in bet, I'd seriously think about your chances of winning before you call, and assume you might be behind. You're not getting that great o' pot odds, and you can't really call JUST on your draw. Also, your draw is not to the nuts, so you have to be a little more cautious. However, you might have the best hand. True. Except there's a raiser and an all-in reraiser. One of them probably has you...

I'd typically fold and protect what's left of my big stack. Double that if the all-in is another big stack.

al