PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Turn Check Raise with TP

mscags
11-02-2005, 10:11 PM
An unknown late middle position player opens. I 3 bet my AQo. Folded back aroud to him and he calls.

Flop comes rag rag Jack, rainbow

He check raises me.

Ace comes on the turn putting two hearts out.

He check raises me.

Whats my play.

11-02-2005, 11:36 PM
By default I would call and bet the river unimproved if he checks, calling a check raise, calling if he bets. Given the flop action it is hard to believe his turn raise, unless he has exactly AJ or AA. I put him more on trying to shack you loose (maybe with 66). Three betting here is bad because he'll fold if he's bluffing. Also, I wouldn't play poker if I couldn't make reads. It's not fun and it's not very profitable.

onegymrat
11-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Your opponent check-raised a preflop 3-bettor twice, so I'm guessing he's either a lunatic or he's got a whopper. Smells like he flopped a set, which is exactly how I would have played one. But since your description was specifically "rag rag Jack", it could very well be at worst AJ. Your are behind here.

You can either call the turn raise and call a river bet if you don't believe him, or you can fold to the turn raise if you do.

goofball
11-03-2005, 09:57 AM
I don't think you should be calling down here most of the time. He saw the ace too, he was hoping it hit you so he could checkraise. He knows you'll pay off your aq/ak, don't do it most of the time. If he's sophpisticated enough to be putting a move on with a turn c/r and call the turn, and make sure at least one bet goes in on the river.

11-03-2005, 01:47 PM
HU with top pair, against a player you have no read on, you must call this down. Given the way the villain played his hand, he either has a monster or complete BS, you must find out which.

danzasmack
11-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Not to be a nit but i think people should post all 3 cards, as me knowing the flop is "rag rag jack" really cuts down my range. A flop like J73, 77 is poss., but here all im thinking is JJ, AJ, AA, or air.

That being said I call and raise a Q river, but will check/call on a blank.

NLfool
11-03-2005, 02:02 PM
I can't see how you win this. The guy is either on a genius bluff or you're dunzo.

onegymrat
11-03-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a nit but i think people should post all 3 cards, as me knowing the flop is "rag rag jack" really cuts down my range. A flop like J73, 77 is poss., but here all im thinking is JJ, AJ, AA, or air.

[/ QUOTE ]I completely agree. When I post, which usually means I lost the hand, I try to be as accurate as possible, for someone else may see something that I don't. But I think in hero's case, the rags really didn't have any relevance, while the jack most certainly did. Hence, the earlier response I had to his hand.

Jeffage
11-03-2005, 02:15 PM
This is an easy spot live. You fold if the person seems sane. This is because he should be scared of the ace if he can't beat a pair of aces since you were the preflop aggressor. But instead, he is now trapping you into losing two bets when it comes. He either flopped a set of jacks or just hit aces up and figured you'd bet the turn if he checked whether you had an ace (which is good for him b/c you call down) or not (in which case he gets an additional bet out of you he wouldn't have if you folded to his turn bet).

Online, this is tougher b/c people play very aggro with surprising holdings. I would lean towards folding against most players however, unless u have aggro stats on him or have caught him checkraising bluffing an expensivie street and noted it. If I have an inkling he is erratic for whatever reason, I may pay off however. If you call turn, you are calling river here.

Jeff

MNpoker
11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
The guy almost surely has a rag in his hand giving him trip rags.

Fold.

mscags
11-03-2005, 03:09 PM
I called him down rather reluctantly and he showed me AJ.

elindauer
11-03-2005, 07:04 PM
He says he can beat AK. Do you believe him? If you are good enough, use your judgement to decide if he's bluffing (what does he think of you? what do you think of him? ...). If not, use math.

-eric