PDA

View Full Version : Some hands to consider if you want to help a noob

11-02-2005, 10:03 PM
here are some hands i played tonight that seem to hold recurring problems for me. If anybody wants to toss some wisdom my way, I would definitely be a slightly better poker player

Hand 1:

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ah Th (two pairs, aces and twos.)
Hero has Ts Tc (two pairs, tens and twos.)
UTG wins 11.25 BB.
</font>

I know my turn play was dumb but What about the flop? should have i folded after I saw the ace?

Hand 2

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB.
MP3 has Ah Kh (a pair of kings.)
Hero has Kc Qs (a pair of kings.)
MP3 wins 10.25 BB.
</font>
Do you raise or call on the turn and river?

Hand 3
Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB.
MP2 has Td Ks (a pair of kings.)
Hero has Js Jd (a pair of jacks.)
MP2 wins 5.25 BB.
</font>

Should I immediately fold when I see AK on the flop?

tyler_cracker
11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
You will get more/better responses by:

- only posting 1 hand at a time
- not posting results.

hand 1: fold the turn. wow.

hand 2: fine.

hand 3: fine.

Doc7
11-02-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't think I usually raise that flop on hand 1. I think that once I get bet into again on the turn in that hand, I fold (Especially because you raised him on the flop and then he bet into you AGAIN on the turn!! I'm thinking villian has AQ-AT here given lack of preflop raise, I'm tending towards AJ-AT but either way you're beat, and I also looked at the stinkin results because I lacked self control)).

I think raising here is probably the worst option (He's not folding, and you are heads-up so it's not like you are going to get weak kings or aces to fold behind you)

hemstock
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
- Fold the turn in hand number one. Villain donks the turn often enough with an ace. You can't call down.
- Fold preflop with KQo when you are facing an raise. This hand is exactly the reason why.
- Fine.

Str8Fish
11-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I’m new to posting advice, but I thought I might throw my $0.02 in. If you folded every time the flop came down with an overcard, you would be losing many pots. You might benefit from looking at how the person is betting.

1st hand: on the turn after UTG bets, even though you raised him on the flop and he called, this is where I would consider folding. You now have 2 overcards on the board and someone aggressively betting you. Any read on this guy betting into you?

2nd hand: I recently ran into this same situation. I’ll let someone else handle this one cause I’m curious of everyone else’s opinion.

3rd hand: Without the person giving any indication with betting/raising after the flop, it’s hard to judge what he has. I probably would have done the same thing. Is this guy a calling station? Don’t bluff to one of those.

HouseCalls
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I’m another newbie and I’m interested to see what others think here but as for me. . .

Hand 1: I like the raise on the flop to see where you are but would probably just call down after that. Folding any time there is an ace on the flop seems too tight to me.

Hand 2: This is a marginal call against the pre flop raise SSH suggests AKo and AQo only against a raise from here but I think the additional callers make it a close call. After the flop I agree with what you did.

Hand 3: Again I don’t think you can immediately fold to overcards on the flop (too tight). When you get called on the flop I would put him on a pair of kings worried that you have an ace (If he had the ace I’d expect a raise). Would probably check turn but would call down regardless.

RatFink
11-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Hand 1 - I've done this flop line and was never happy with the result. It's usually a weak ace more than a flush draw. Once your raise is called in two spots, you need to feel really comfortable they are both on a draw to continue. I think the turn raise is a bit much.

Hand 2 - KQo is not a hand you really ever want to cold call with.

Hand 3 - I think I play it the same having it checked to me each street, and may bet-fold the non-club river.

UATrewqaz
11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Hand 1.

I like the raise on the flop because you can isolate and have position the rest of the hand, but you have to fold to the donk bet on the turn.

ANOTHER over card hit and the donk bet is still pushing the idea he has an ace.

The river call is just a crying call.

Hand 2.

You cold called with KQo which is dependent on the raiser. If he's an idiot that's fine cuz you have good position, against a good player you should probably fold KOo preflop (with no money committed). The rest of the hand is fine I think, that donk bet on the turn is confusing.

Hand 3.

Looks ok to me.

numeri
11-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Hand 1: Flop play is opponent dependent. I raise vs. an unknown. Fold the turn.

Hand 2: Preflop is a fold for me in most circumstances. I'd like to know more about the villain. Since you called, everything else is fine. Raising the turn is troublesome, because we have to call a turn 3-bet when we're probably behind.

Hand 3: Fine.

EDIT: Didn't see that we cold-called preflop in hand 2.

IPSC
11-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Hand 1:

I think you can let this go on the turn. Villian called your flop raise and now bets into you on the turn. I'd play the flop the same as you did though. A read would be helpful on villian's flop betting standards and idea of what he limps utg.

Hand 2:

Easy fold preflop. The chance that you're dominated is to great. If you had read on MP3 as a loose raiser you could three bet. You do not want to be calling a preflop raise with KQo.

Hand 3:

I'm betting the flop on this hand. Villian may fold fearing that you paired a high card. I'm checking the turn though with the intention of calling a river bet if no flush or straight card falls.

11-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Hand 1:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I fold the turn. I like your play up to that point. I like the raise post flop since it tells you more about the villians hand at half the price.

Hand 2:
I would have played it the same way as you. Although I know that you aren't supposed to call a raise with KQo, I have a really hard time laying that hand down especially in LP. Not saying that this is the correct way to play just saying that it is exactly what I would have done.

Hand 3:
I think that you played this hand just fine.

Seems few others like the results in white, but I do.