PDA

View Full Version : Anything to this?

Pirc Defense
06-15-2003, 04:37 PM
To recap: I'm trying to find the leaks in my game. The following hand is likely very run-of-the-mill, but as I reviewed it, I kept asking myself, what is this hand telling me? Anything? Is something like this perhaps a leak that I'm not aware of? Or worse?

Without further preamble, I give you this:

$.50-$1 PP.

Loose passive so I limp after two EP limpers with T9 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. Both blinds play. Too loose?

Five to the flop of J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif.

Checked to me, I bet and the BB and an EP limper call. I have no clue what they hold (flush and straight draws are among the possibilities). Should I have bet?

Turn is the A /forums/images/icons/club.gif [J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. Three checks. Leak?

River is the 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif [J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif]. EP limper bets and I call. Is folding better? I think this is where my biggest mistake was. I'm either beat by a higher pair, or a completed straight draw.

Is there anything to this? This hand just feels all wrong, but I can't put my finger on it. My instincts tell me I played it incorrectly on perhaps all streets but I can't specify why.

Any help in reasoning through the different choices here would be helpful.

Winner took down the pot with A5o.

ArchAngel71857
06-15-2003, 05:23 PM
Preflop: this is a fine limp in a lowlimit loose passive game. you most likely will get enough preflop limpers to make the pot big enough to give you odds if you hit a straight or flush draw.

Flop: many people might disagree, but i like the bet.

Turn: nothing wrong with checking.

River: Fold

-AA

bernie
06-15-2003, 05:50 PM
river call depends on what you think the player is betting with. is this the type that would bluff here? or bet an 8 on the end if he just caught it? if not, youre much likely beat and you can fold. the flop bet is ok. no one has likely hit their hand or theyd have be it. and youd like to get some overcards out if possible. singleton Qs and Ks. Aces are usually chasing.

good check on the turn. many will chase with an A but not bet it. but if youre c/r then you can fold. this bet may also gain you a free showdown, which is worth considering. would the A5 had bet the river if he only check called the turn?

preflop: if you figured more limpers were going to come in, and this isnt a normal hand as fewer players are seeing the flop than previous hands, it's no biggie. but if it was routinely this many, id tighten up a little. but if it's real passive, you can get away with this limp a little easier. the flop was a little too coordinated than youd like. that's for sure. time to tip toe through the minefield. you could be ahead, handwise, but still be a dog to the opponents outs.

b

Pirc Defense
06-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, all.

I agree that preflop I might have been a bit loose. However, I am TRYING to loosen up a bit, as I have a hard time getting any action. I did expect a multi-multi-way pot.

The flop bet is something I do, and perhaps over do. I play tight, but I also play pretty aggressively and when I go too far in any direction, it's usually on the bet/raise side.

Checking the turn seems okay, but what do I know?!?

The river is where I lost a full hour's worth of what I am trying to earn. I should have folded this and saved a BB. It's unlikely that this opponent would bet with nothing, and if he has just about anything, I'm beat. Live and learn.

Your replies are appreciated; they help to reassure and/or get me thinking about my, umm, thinking.

bernie
06-15-2003, 06:31 PM
"I agree that preflop I might have been a bit loose. However, I am TRYING to loosen up a bit, as I have a hard time getting any action. I did expect a multi-multi-way pot."

remember that some loose passive games will have their small 3-4 way pots once in awhile. so the limp is minor if your expecting it multiway and it isnt. this just happens to be one time it was this short.

one way to gain action is by lowering your raising standards. if youre having trouble getting action, start stealing. use your image a little.

i was known as the 'nut' player awhile back in a room. and it sucks. you do have trouble getting action. even from some of the biggest fish. look for spots to take advantage of it. start by raising when you come in with certain hands.

in many games, limping with T9s in MP is fine. some games even in EP. though id be very careful about that.

b

AceHigh
06-15-2003, 08:04 PM
"as I have a hard time getting any action. "

You got a player to call with a single overcard on a flop with only 6 small bets in it. How much more action do you want?