PDA

View Full Version : cold air

03-19-2002, 10:19 PM
we got another foot of fresh snow today after a bunch of smaller snowstorms and a high of 19 degrees at my house. springtime in montana. i guess those up in northern canada are getting it too. no crocus for a while.

03-19-2002, 10:32 PM
The NE had a mild winter and the ground is unusually firm for this time of year. Quite a few courses are green ready and open for business. I've been out a number of times already!! I just hope we don't get those forest fires that you guys suffered in Montana from the lack of rain!!!

Paul

03-20-2002, 08:51 AM
down here in south carolina, the bradford pears are in a beauyiful white bloom, the crepe myrtle just coming red...good friday corn planting day...peach blossums a gorgeous purple/lavender...just take a look at the masters golf on tv in a few weeks, that's what it looks like...all over...even the sheep like it,,,they are getting real friendly...gl

03-20-2002, 09:16 AM

03-20-2002, 10:42 AM
lots of local flooding...four or five days non stop rain.. hope i can make it thru to the airport as am heading to vegas for long weekend...dafodils are up, peepers are peeping...saw a fox in the woods the other day, sheding his winter coat, half naked-half tufts of fur dangling from his hide... couldn't suppress a chuckle, hope i didn't hurt his feelings too much ...

03-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Might have decent flows this year.

03-20-2002, 11:28 AM
water flows are predicted to be above average for western montana and way below for eastern. but missouri river is 97% normal. tommorrow is first day of spring and its 5 degrees out my window right now with more snow falling.

03-20-2002, 11:40 AM
Its snowing here also.

I'll be the nervous dad today, my daughter and her friends started home from Calgary this morning at 8. Three 18 yr olds.

I'm looking forward to fishing the Missouri, goal is to land 22" on#22. I'll accept 22" on #20.

03-20-2002, 12:14 PM
the roads are terrible and 93 is blowing snow and ice. all the schools are even closed today. dont want to scare you but if they have a cell phone id tell them to wait it out. but if they come down the east side of the rockies it may be perfectly okay. good luck.

03-20-2002, 12:48 PM
Get a bunch of pictures of yourself, put them in a big circle. Then sit in the middle of your images, and enjoy the rays.

SPM,...play long and try not to freeze...

03-20-2002, 01:43 PM
caddis? Baetis? anything?

Vegas for me this weekend, but I think, next weekend, I'll pump up the old float tube and paddle around Half Moon Bay looking for a legal halibut for dinner.

Boris, if you read this: interested?

03-20-2002, 02:13 PM
I only have a rod, line and flies. No other equipment so I would have a hard time paddling around the bay. sounds like a blast though. I assume you're talking about the cove next to Mavericks? the one protected by the man made rock jetty?

03-20-2002, 03:47 PM
yeah, that's the one. I've scared up some little ones as I walked through the calf deep water on my way out to the jetty (bait casting-so flog me now). the bigger one's are there, but are pretty picky. don't think they've seen many flies, though, so something small, fluttery (is that a word?) and flashy should get their attention.

i have no idea how I'll land anything, though. never got one on a fly, and the ones i got on spinning tackle have not been real happy when they get to the surface. the tube should make landing them a really interesting task.

03-20-2002, 06:41 PM
i wondered what happened to you. i enjoyed the peace and quiet while it lasted. i like your suggestion but if i fall asleep i may get to enjoy some zee's as well. haha i topped you again my boy.

zee-- still waiting to see a picture of spm.

03-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Skwala stone any day now.

Midges.

Litte brown and black stones(Nemoridae&Leuctridae)

Post about your tubing.

good Luck in Vegas.

03-21-2002, 01:04 AM
midges are great. you can throw a fly that you can actually see and imitate a cluster. much easier on the eyes than a #20 baetis

03-21-2002, 12:53 PM
ed, have you looked out your window at the thermometer lately. it minus 2 degrees at my house. the only thing thats going to emerge is the propane man when he comes to fill my tank.

plus big fish eat big flies. so forget about that midge stuff and throw them a sandwich.

03-21-2002, 01:25 PM
mid 50s next week. I'll be fishing.

I always smack the back of my head with sandwich sized flies.

03-21-2002, 01:56 PM
lets see...

2x long hook.

two grizzly yellow hackles palmered (cheese and salami).

one white hackle tied on top

one white hackle tied under

voila...sandwich fly

maybe I can get orvis to stock it in time for the fall season.

03-21-2002, 08:47 PM
let me know when the bitteroot gets good and i will come down. i bought one of those seven piece cabelas rods and need to try it out before i end up packing it in somewhere and cant cast it.