PDA

View Full Version : the long run and infinity, theory

lotus776
11-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Take into consideration what most poker texts argue about the "long run" (the mythical area where luck disappears in poker) b/c of the huge number of hands played. Theoretially, does this mean that one can represent the "the long run" by a quantifiable value, like 10,000,000? after ten million hands I think we've achieved the long run but even more importantly we can use infinity. If one plays infinitely many hands (impossible of course) can't the amount of "luck" be quantified through a process that can be measured graphically? The reason I argue this is b/c as we approach infinity luck is diminishing, correct? So, can luck be determined graphically? Similar to a limit problem in calculus? lol, this is simply something to ponder and I post it else where to get some lofty debate going...
thanks for reading my theory

-Brent

Vincent Lepore
11-02-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does this mean that one can represent the "the long run" by a quantifiable value,

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But one can use a "significant" but finite number of trials to represent the long run, with the understanding that in reality the long run is theoretical and may not be definealbe. At least that's how I see the long run and use it for practical purposes.

Vince

bobman0330
11-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Replace "luck" with "variance," and then graph K/sqrt(x), where K is variance / 100 and x is 100s of hands.