PDA

View Full Version : Foolishness or **** happens?

Magician
06-15-2003, 08:58 AM
PokerStars Game #xxxxxxxx: Tournament #136246, Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20)
Table 'xxxxxx x' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 2: (1610 in chips)
Seat 3: (1230 in chips)
Seat 4: (1470 in chips)
Seat 5: Magician (1500 in chips)
Seat 6: (1590 in chips)
Seat 7: (1370 in chips)
Seat 8: (1640 in chips)
Seat 9: (1600 in chips) is sitting out
4: posts small blind 10
Magician: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Magician [Ac Ah]
6: calls 20
7: calls 20
8: folds
9: folds
1: folds
3: folds
4: calls 10
Magician: raises 140 to 160
6: calls 140
7: folds
4: folds
*** FLOP *** [5c 2c 8h]
Magician: bets 360
6: calls 360
*** TURN *** [5c 2c 8h] [2d]
Magician: bets 980 and is all-in
6: calls 980
*** RIVER *** [5c 2c 8h 2d] [9c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Magician: shows [Ac Ah] (two pair, Aces and Deuces)
6: shows [5s 5d] (a full house, Fives full of Deuces)
6: collected 3040 from pot

Was there anything I could/should have done differently, or do you just take a hit that time no matter who you are?

Guy McSucker
06-15-2003, 03:13 PM
Seems pretty unavoidable to me.

Obviously betting the flop is right. With that flop, he could call you on a flush draw or have a different pocket pair. You have to bet again on fourth street since you're most likely to be winning but don't want to give a free card. The stacks aren't big enough for anything but all-in, and you've got no way to find out you're behind until they're turned over.

Sigh. Aces crackes again. Back to the drawing board. Better luck next time.

Guy.

Augie
06-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Tough spot to be in, especially online where you can't see your man. You have to rely on pure hand reading skills, and even that may not save you.

If your opponent isn't necessarily a good player, then I think you are probably going to lose most, if not all your chips, because his range of hands will be too broad for you to get away from your hand. He could have a set, an overpair, something like A8 even, and this is key, a flush draw with something like Jc10c.

The real possibility of the flush draw means you will probably have to go all the way to the river if no club comes. Just my opinion.

However, if your opponent is a decent player, I think you can discount the flush draw. You have the Ac and I don't think a good player would call your pot sized bet on the flop with something like KcQc. He might move all-in with it with two cards to come (though less likely because he is not drawing to the nuts), but calling a big flop bet with a draw is a mistake decent players don't make often, IMO.

So versus a decent player I think you can put him on an overpair or a set. After he calls your flop bet you can give serious consideration to checking on the turn.

Either way you are going to lose some chips on this hand. Anyone out there have any ideas how to save yourself in this spot?