PDA

View Full Version : ($22) - Level 1, Protecting Aces on a friendly monotone flop?

SammyKid11
11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
Level One - 10/15
Hero UTG+1 (775)
Villain in SB (645)

Hero opens for t50 with AsAd...folded to SB who calls, BB folds.

Flop (2 players - t115): 9sQs3s
Villain bets t55, Hero raises to t200, Villain folds

Alright, so I made a standard large raise to "protect" my aces from the flush (though I did a crappy job of attempting that since I left him with proper odds to draw). I then, however, just sorta "realized" that if my opponent was drawing to a flush, he was in big trouble because I had the ace of spades. My opponent either already HAD the flush (in which case cheap cards would help me) or he was drawing to a second best hand (in which case letting him hit his second-best flush would be very profitable)...maybe he has a QT or something, possibly with one spade, and I need to protect against trips or two-pair. I'm confused here, though, so please let me know what you'd have done differently in this situation.

bones
11-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Stealing avatars does not produce good karma.

pineapple888
11-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't know, it doesn't seem like the stacks are deep enough here to slow-play and hope a spade comes.

I'd just take your line, and plan to call a push.

SammyKid11
11-02-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stealing avatars does not produce good karma.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - you have EXCLUSIVE rights to Vida Guerra? Tell you what, if I ever get her in the sack, I'll leave you with sole rights to her as an avatar.

SammyKid11
11-02-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, it doesn't seem like the stacks are deep enough here to slow-play and hope a spade comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd raise, but not enough to make calling a flush draw incorrect? That's what I inadvertently did...thinking about it now, it seems like it might be the best play...raise enough to not give odds to someone drawing to 2-pair/trips, but enough that if he wants to continue with a lone spade that's going to kill him anyway...go ahead and come along.

pineapple888
11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd raise, but not enough to make calling a flush draw incorrect? That's what I inadvertently did...thinking about it now, it seems like it might be the best play...raise enough to not give odds to someone drawing to 2-pair/trips, but enough that if he wants to continue with a lone spade that's going to kill him anyway...go ahead and come along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wasn't thiking that deeply.

The raise to that level says "go ahead and draw, but I'm betting again on the turn if you miss." So it doesn't really give him odds.

But in this case, I admit it works out well either way.