PDA

View Full Version : Strange bets what does it means?

11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Do you have find a tell when people bets 471 (when they have to type it), or when they bet and it rounds their stack to the next thousands or hundreds or any other kind of stange bet.

I usually think they bluff but I am never sure and not sure if I should take a stand or not...

11-02-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't think it means anything really. Many people are just a bit anal about numbers, so if betting 500 will make their stack "unpretty", they will bet 483 to make it even or something stupid. I wouldn't try and get any tells from it.

Melchiades
11-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't really read much into it, but if anything it seems like someone betting an amount that leaves him a round amount is too prepared to lose the pot.

EverettKings
11-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Bah.

There are much more important betting patterns to study. This one has an extremely loose correlation if any. They bet that much because the felt like it, which can mean anything.Your time is better spend studying Japanese than worrying about weird bets (no offense to the Japanese language).

Everett

schwza
11-02-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have find a tell when people bets 471 (when they have to type it), or when they bet and it rounds their stack to the next thousands or hundreds or any other kind of stange bet.

I usually think they bluff but I am never sure and not sure if I should take a stand or not...

[/ QUOTE ]

one theory a good player told me is that people who do it tend to be good, thinking players. his rationale was something like you at least have to be paying some attention to the game to do it.

yecul
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
I do this sometimes. If I want to bet 80% of the pot and that's about 100 but I have 1105 chips I might just make it 105. It's stupid but I mainly see it as a way to vary my bet amount. I don't think there's a particular tell, I do it with and without holdings.

Buccaneer
11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I noticed that people in a game today were betting x99. I thought that they were trying to make the bet "bigger" as it is a pretty tall stack of chips. Could they be trying to intimidate, sort of like splashing in a live game?

Exitonly
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
what's really annoying, is when you see this bet and you're like

"Oh look at that wierd all-in bet"

And then you call, beacuse you, well you know it's an allin, you get to see 5 cards.

Then you see they actuallly have 100x BB. And they're just [censored] with your brain by betting wierd amounts. And you've just donated chips with Q5s.

MaGi
11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Normally I don't read much into it, but if they are betting to round off their stack, doesn't it seem like they may be thinking that they will lose the pot if they are called, and they at least want a round # of chips.

I do stuff like that all the time, but never to round off my stack, often I type 111 or 123 or something, just because it is easy to type and I can type it faster than 100 or 125.

11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
I've seen a couple players where when they bet w/ xx4 or x99 and it puts a big stack on the table it is for intimidation purposes because they later end up backing down or get caught bluffing, but for every weird tactic you have to think about them doing the opposite. Unless, you see proof that it is crap or the nuts multiple times, I don't think you should buy into it and just play your game.

11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
I'm borderline OCD so I often bet to make my stack a "nicer" looking number. It do it regardless of hand strength (or lack thereof) as long as I don't give my opponent proper drawing odds. Mostly, I do it with continuation and value bets.

11-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Just one thing.. if in the final hand of a rebuy session, be careful of smartasses betting weird amounts that leave you with 1501 chips /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Against very bad players in 5.50 and 11 heads up SnGs, I consider the color of the chips going into the pot. I've found (with no real bookkeeping, so it could easily be my imagination) that a bet of x20 is called more frequently than a bet of x00 and a bet of x30 is called less frequently than a bet of x00.

Sam T.
11-03-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's really annoying, is when you see this bet and you're like

"Oh look at that wierd all-in bet"

And then you call, beacuse you, well you know it's an allin, you get to see 5 cards.

Then you see they actuallly have 100x BB. And they're just [censored] with your brain by betting wierd amounts. And you've just donated chips with Q5s.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me once. I flopped the flush, and stacked AA. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-03-2005, 02:58 PM
oh god yes that's annoying. I've ALMOST done that probably like 20 times, but I always manage to notice right before.

11-03-2005, 07:09 PM
In a rebuy, if a guy had 2143 in his stack and can rebuy at 1500 and he bets 643, good chance he's folding for a raise. If he bet 600 into the same pot, you are not nearly as likely to get him to fold.