PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent DSL service

ripdog
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
I read the LinksysWRT54G (I have one) thread and am wondering if my router is the problem. My desktop is hardwired into the router, my wife's laptop connects wirelessly to the network. The 100M light on the DSL modem flashes most of the time and the internet light on the router flashes along with it. I lose my internet connection several times a day and have to shut the modem off for 10 seconds, turn it back on, and wait for a minute or so before I reconnect. It is a real pain in the ass when I'm playing poker (I usually have to reboot to get back into the game). Is this how DSL service is? I'm two weeks into my first broadband experience and I have to say it sucks big time so far.

astroglide
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
this is atypical, it's not a daily thing in the life of all broadband users.

go to www.dslreports.com (http://www.dslreports.com) and start reading/posting in the forum for your internet service provider, that's the best place to go.

ripdog
11-03-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks!

KenProspero
11-03-2005, 04:53 PM
I had this problem with DSL -- though all glitches are different, in my case, it was an intermittent routing problem, which meant that at times, anything I sent was routed to >20 separate locations before it reached its destination (sometimes a lot more than 20).

There is a function that allows you to check how many stops your packets take before reaching their final destination (unfortunately, this was a couple of years ago, and I don't remember how I tracked it). Your DSL provider should be able to help you.

In my case, I gave up with DSL after 3 months of unsuccessfully trying to fix the problem, and went to cable.

ripdog
11-04-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I had this problem with DSL -- though all glitches are different, in my case, it was an intermittent routing problem, which meant that at times, anything I sent was routed to >20 separate locations before it reached its destination (sometimes a lot more than 20).

There is a function that allows you to check how many stops your packets take before reaching their final destination (unfortunately, this was a couple of years ago, and I don't remember how I tracked it). Your DSL provider should be able to help you.

In my case, I gave up with DSL after 3 months of unsuccessfully trying to fix the problem, and went to cable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked out DSL reports and looked up the ZyXEL modem that Earthlink supplied and found a complaint that matches mine exactly. This person said that the dual line filter seems to be the cause of the problem because when they plug the modem directly into the phone jack it works fine. My house has at least two phone jacks in every room, so if tossing the dual line filter in the trash solves the problem, no biggie. If that doesn't do the trick I'll look into the packet routing issue. Thanks for your reply.