PDA

View Full Version : 55: Speaking of AQ...

downtown
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
I played this sort of weird (and extremely passive, for me). I sort of like it, but at the same time I sort of hate it. Thus, I submit it for your ridicule/praise. Thoughts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Button (t720)
Hero (t915)
BB (t1180)
UTG (t655)
UTG+1 (t685)
MP1 (t1400)
MP2 (t1415)
MP3 (t930)
CO (t2100)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t45, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t180) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t30</font>, Hero calls t30, BB folds.

Turn: (t240) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

River: (t440) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Final Pot: t440

durron597
11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
You're actually sooted....

That said, I think this is fine. I also bet this flop sometimes.

downtown
11-02-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're actually sooted....

That said, I think this is fine. I also bet this flop sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah! Thanks, I fixed my post title.

splashpot
11-02-2005, 04:57 PM
You already know that I'm uncomfortable playing AQo. I usually wouldn't play it after a raise preflop. And then a K high flop comes and he bets (I know his bet is incredibly stupid, but...). I'd definately just fold.

schwza
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
this is how i would've played it.

junkmail3
11-02-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is how i would've played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't not say anything when quoting.

splashpot
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Now that I think about it, if you're going to play the flop, wouldn't it be better to raise? It really smells like a mid pair 99-JJ. And it looks like he's afraid of the K. Wouldn't it be better to raise the flop and represent the K instead of drawing out? I do think you're behind here, cause I can't think of any hand that he would raise preflop that you're ahead of here.

pineapple888
11-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Looks fine to me.

junkmail3
11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that I think about it, if you're going to play the flop, wouldn't it be better to raise? It really smells like a mid pair 99-JJ. And it looks like he's afraid of the K. Wouldn't it be better to raise the flop and represent the K instead of drawing out? I do think you're behind here, cause I can't think of any hand that he would raise preflop that you're ahead of here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian bets 30, hero raises to 120, villian pushes ...

or

villain bets 30, hero calls, turn A.

Something like that.

And I think hero knows he could very well be behind at this point, but he's getting 7:1 on his call.

splashpot
11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Villian is not going to push without a K or better.

junkmail3
11-02-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you wouldn't want to let him push if you have a chance to get a cheap A on the turn.

splashpot
11-02-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why you wouldn't want to let him push if you have a chance to get a cheap A on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even for those odds, I don't like drawing to 3 outs when I don't even know if it will win me the hand.

ZeroPointMachine
11-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Villain can't have a King here. Even the worst players won't min-bet with a flush draw board against two opponents holding top pair. Villain can't have a pair and a flush draw with out a king in his hand. What hand is he going to re-raise you all-in with? Calling the min-bet is terrible to me. Raise and take it down or fold if you think he is just too dumb to fold. Even if the ace and queen are both live you only have four clean outs because of the diamonds.

Raise the flop and take it down.

ChrisV
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I'd check raise the flop. I doubt either of them have hands which can take any pressure.

bigt439
11-03-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check raise the flop. I doubt either of them have hands which can take any pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

... /images/graemlins/confused.gif ...

But you're confident enough that they'll bet to check raise?
Why can't someone have a K here? This seems pretty arbitrary.

ChrisV
11-03-2005, 01:43 AM
I don't check with the plan of checkraising. I adopt the plan after it goes check check minbet. There's a group of guys that minbet with a king there, but they are very much in the minority. Most people prefer to get money into the pot when they have the best hand.

It's possible the BB has a king and that's the major concern with the checkraise. But even if he does, if his kicker is hopeless he may well get scared what with there being a bet and checkraise ahead of him.

I only need to take it down about 50% of the time to win and I'm confident I will.

bigt439
11-03-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't check with the plan of checkraising. I adopt the plan after it goes check check minbet. There's a group of guys that minbet with a king there, but they are very much in the minority. Most people prefer to get money into the pot when they have the best hand.

It's possible the BB has a king and that's the major concern with the checkraise. But even if he does, if his kicker is hopeless he may well get scared what with there being a bet and checkraise ahead of him.

I only need to take it down about 50% of the time to win and I'm confident I will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought that was your reasoning for checking the flop. I still don't love your play, but its reasonable.

tigerite
11-03-2005, 06:17 AM
I would probably go for the check-raise also here, depending on the size of the bet, naturally.