PDA

View Full Version : Raising with AQo

splashpot
11-02-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't know why, but this is one of the most difficult hands for me to play. I never feel confident raising this preflop. I saw this hand in a $55.

Preflop
10 handed, chip stacks almost unchanged, blinds 15/30
I get AQo in MP. Folded to me, I raise to 100. Folded to SB who calls.

Flop
47Kr
SB checks, Hero continuation bets?

I usually continuation bet here, but I seem to get check raised far more often than I would like to. What if the flop were 678? Also, is my preflop raise too small?

pineapple888
11-02-2005, 04:08 PM
It's a tough hand to play. I'll often take your line with it in MP, but I'm never that excited about it.

Post-flop, it all depends on your read and instincts in this case.

So, I think there are no obvious, clear answers in this hand. That's poker, I guess. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

kitaristi0
11-02-2005, 04:28 PM
I find AQo is one the hardest hands to play too. I posted this a few days ago, don't know if it'll help at all, but there's some good stuff in there.

Some AQo hands (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=singletable&Number=382421 3&Searchpage=1&Main=3824213&Words=&topic=&Search=t rue#Post3824213)

As for the hand you posted, I continuation bet this the majority of the time, at least at the 11s and 22s. I've got no experience of 55s so I can't say how likely SB is to c/r you there with air, but at the 11s it's a pretty good spot to continuation bet.

axeshigh
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
I usually raise it in MP but not in EP. I think 47K is a great flop for you since you can represent AK and get small pairs to fold. On a 678 flop you'll get reraised more often by people with bad hands who won't believe you have an overpair I think (I cbet it anyway since he checked, but I might check if I was first to act on the 678 flop).

pooh74
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why, but this is one of the most difficult hands for me to play. I never feel confident raising this preflop. I saw this hand in a $55.

Preflop
10 handed, chip stacks almost unchanged, blinds 15/30
I get AQo in MP. Folded to me, I raise to 100. Folded to SB who calls.

Flop
47Kr
SB checks, Hero continuation bets?

I usually continuation bet here, but I seem to get check raised far more often than I would like to. What if the flop were 678? Also, is my preflop raise too small?

[/ QUOTE ]

The K high rag flop is perfect for a continuation bet...if he called with a PP he'll give you credit for AK ALOT...if he, instead cold called with AK or something that has you beat...you'll know it.

I'd bet little over half pot, fold to any resistance..check behind on turn if called on flop and if checked to on river and you still have nothing...I'd maybe try and and take it away.

Depending on opponent or stacks etc...I could just check this and peel one off.

bigt439
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Good raise. Limp is alright, but I like raise.

I c-bet almost every time here. 1/2 pot does the trick. Don't get in the habit of c-betting full pot. You don't have to.

Indiana
11-02-2005, 05:27 PM
AQ is tough. Its profitable but not extremely. You have to know this opponent. Certain players are going to CR you so you must check behind. With deep stacks on a flop like this you have to fold a CR most of the time depending on the size of the bet. Mix it up man, check behind 20% of the time, CB 80%.

Indy

downtown
11-02-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good raise. Limp is alright, but I like raise.

I c-bet almost every time here. 1/2 pot does the trick. Don't get in the habit of c-betting full pot. You don't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna have to quote on this one.

Freudian
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have problems with continuation bets when the board is two-suited. I don't like to make pot sized continuation bets but if I make it smaller on a board like that I imagine that it is very transparent I don't have anything I want to protect against the flushdraw.

bigt439
11-02-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have problems with continuation bets when the board is two-suited. I don't like to make pot sized continuation bets but if I make it smaller on a board like that I imagine that it is very transparent I don't have anything I want to protect against the flushdraw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one will notice. Trust me. If you think they will, then switch it up when you have a hand.

EDIT: In SNG's I'm usually not as concerned with protecting against the flush draws a the implied odds they have aren't nearly as important as they are in cash games with much deeper stacks. I guess I'm trying to say that flush draws are a much more important aspect of a cash game than a sng, and protecting against them isn't as big of a deal in sng's. I don't know if this made sense. I have an exam in an hour though, so I'll look at this later.

downtown
11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I'll vary my c-bet in this spot from 2/3 pot to pot size a lot of times (pot-size is more likely in a smaller pot or if I have more chips). Here a 3/4 pot continuation bet wouldn't be terrible. I don't think anyone but an EXTREMELY observant villain is going to notice though, and you don't run across too many of those in the 55s.

Indiana
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I think that there are alternatives to CB-ing the hell outta the flop. Waiting for the turn is often a good alternative against certain players on certain boards.

Indy

tigerite
11-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Whilst I agree with Indiana, I would CB this flop, definitely, for about half. If it was two suited, I would CB for two thirds. Because I would do this with AK as well.